Tore the swing arm apart on my 84 VR tonight and found out I need the middle bushings...the ones near the shock attachment... do they still make those anymore? checkede a couple places online and they said backordered.. Hoping to find some fast.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Clay

Backordered means that the local (US, maybe all North America) Yamaha parts warehouse does not have any. They are probably still manufactured.

In many cases this means they have to come from Mother Yamaha in Japan, which seems to take about a month. I suppose it's possible that Yamaha Japan doesn't have them which means waiting for a supplier to deliver. I've never run into that but it would be quite a long wait.

No retailer will be deliberately stocking the bushings. The only way you'll get them faster is if you can find a dealer that goofed up and has a dusty set on a shelf somewhere.

I have a friend that has had them on order for several weeks. If they send 2 sets over when his come you might be able to get them more quickly, otherwise you're probably looking at a month to get them.

He did track down a needle bearing that is the proper size. He's considering having the bolt hardened (they run on the bolt) so he can use them.

After calling Flatout and a few other places about the swing arm and getting the same response..." can't get them".. I went back to Rick at Buckeye and as usual....he had the hard to find part in stock....Yamaha sure seems to be proud of their bushings at $25..a pop, but once again Buckeye is a great source for these fantastic 1st Gen ventures..:cool10:

To bad a guy couldn't have some custom made.

Having them made at a machine shop may be a little pricey as the setup and tooling would be high for a one off. If the need was greater, which doesn't appear to be prevailant or they would be in stock, they could very easily be made in a little home shop. Standard bushings are made in many different materials and sizes and cost little. With a small lathe and a proper size reamer a person could take a standard size and refit very easily and very cheaply. Most bushes cost less than a dollar and are made of softer material designed to wear instead of the shaft. If made of oil light bronze they would even be self lubricating. There are many small items that fall into the same category. The solid motor mounts come to mind. They would be extremely easy to manufacture in small numbers very easily and cheaply with a small lathe.

Someone making them's hardest part would be in finding people to buy them. The best person to do this type of small production of items such as these are one of the members on here that already sell some hard to get products as people would know where to look for them.

Dick