IGNORED

correct way

latchkey

when changing oil at what angle do you fill to line? on side kick stand or off stand and level.i been doing it by having someone hold bike level. was told by a goldwinger this is wrong and should be on kick stand. hope that winger isnt right. if he is i`ll never tell him, you know how those wingers are!

If you don't always have a friend to hold the bike straight up, then use a 2X4 or other piece of wood under the kickstand to hold the bike almost straight up.

Once you get the oil level correct, then put the bike on the side stand and see where the level is then. Mark it with a marker and that way you can check it anytime you want on the side stand.

If you don't always have a friend to hold the bike straight up, then use a 2X4 or other piece of wood under the kickstand to hold the bike almost straight up.

Once you get the oil level correct, then put the bike on the side stand and see where the level is then. Mark it with a marker and that way you can check it anytime you want on the side stand.

That's a good idea. Does the oil level even show when it's on the kickstand? I guess I don't remember ever looking. I've just always done it on the center stand.

Does the oil level even show when it's on the kickstand?

No, my sight glass is totally empty when the bike is on the side stand. a little better than half way up the glass when the bike is straight up.

I use a small mirror on a flexible stick. Check the oil while sitting in the seat with the mirror. $4 at most auto parts shops.

With an oil filter change just add 3.5 qts of oil and you should be set. Manual calls for 3.9 qts but as most of us have found out due to the angle of the sidestand lean the oil tends to pool up and out of the vent hoses. 3.5 qts seems to do the trick and should put you right at the 1/2 way point on the little window. :smile5:

Us 1st Genners dont need no 2x4 we got us a real bike with a real center stand, so we can do it all by our lonesome.......but you 2nd genners got short changed in that dept..........:think::starz:

2nd Gen.... Kickstand/sidestand..A swiveling metal bar for holding a bicycle, motorcycle, or other two-wheeled vehicle upright when it is not being ridden.

1st Gen...... Centerstand..A stand mounted on the middle underside of a motorcycle which props up a bike vertically and lifts the rear wheel off the ground so plastic bodied motorcycles daily repairs can be made with relative ease..

Guest seuadr

no center stand? no problem! get up to speed and the bike'll hold itself up so you can check the level!:rasberry:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/SlIhMabvBMI/AAAAAAAApxI/iMS1pDOjKIo/s400/demotivational_car_posters_36.jpg

Like Straycat said,

Use a mirror on a stick (buy extendable mirror at cheap tool places),,, but also a small LED flashlight aimed down your sight angle really helps see in the window.

Oh, and read it with bike level, not on kickstand.

Using the mirror, going from kickstand to center you will see how much difference that makes. If you filled it on kickstand to the mark you would have way too much oil in it.

Edited by Mike G in SC