IGNORED

Insurance Suprise - USAA

Tombo

I called my insurance company today because I was trading in my 2003 Harley Ultra for a 2010 Ultra. When I tried to change over the coverage I was told that they are no longer writing motorcycle policies in Maryland and that I could use their "General Agent" for the new bike. I have had insurance with them (USAA) since 1972 and have always had a motorcycle on my auto policy. Their partner agency is Progressive and their price was not out of line with what I was paying when it was on my auto policy but now I have two different companies to deal with and pay premiums to. Has anyone else run into this with USAA?

:thumbdown:

Guest Oldsalt

I have had USAA coverage on every cage I have owned since 1964. Great rates and service. When I bought my first bike I naturally called them for a quote and darn near fainted...The rep almost apologized that the rates were 'out of sight' and told me they just weren't the best company for insuring bikes. I went with Progressive who were way cheaper. I also have AAA membership (non-insurance) and have used their towing once since Progressive's policy didn't cover this (at least the policy I had). So USAA for my cars, progressive for my bike, and AAA for both. Seems to work for me.

oldsalt

I know as far as Texas is concerned, they haven't carried new motorcycle policies for a few years now. New being additional to what ever you had had previously....

I have Progressive myself....but have pondered going with Dairyland as they offer considerably cheaper rates, at least for me. Probably only reason I haven't switched is because I have progressive setup to automatically debit my payment, whereas with Dairyland I would have to "remember" to make it. Knowing my luck, I'd miss a payment and be up the creek w/o a paddle...

I haven't had that happen but I know from experience that some companies that WILL insure bikes seem to not really want to based upon their prices. You just have to look around. I have State Farm on my home and my wife's car. I've been with them for about 15 years. In spite of that, they were way higher on motorcycle insurance than Progressive so I've had progressive on the bike for more than 10 years now. A couple of years ago when my son turned 16 an started driving, I found myself shopping around once again. In spite of having my home and car insured through State Farm, it turned out that Geico was considerably cheaper than State Farm so I insured his car through Geico. So now I have vehicle insurance through State Farm, Geico and Progressive. Go figure.

I guess I'm not loyal at all. When it comes time to renew on the bike, I check everywhere. Whoever is the cheapest, I go with. I would have never thought to check Esurance on the bike until my wife was rear ended in the Explorer by someone who had Esurance. They were awesome to work with and took care of everything with the car. I had Progressive on the bike, but Esurance was $100 cheaper, so I went with them. The policy is actually with Atlas out of Ohio, but I deal strictly with Esurance. Atlas did call me 2 weeks after I paid the premium to make sure I recieved everything and if they could help in any way. I was impressed! But, come August I will do the search again and go to whoever is offering the best rate.

(Progressive went up $60 last year in VA because of a "change in policy" they could not explain to me)

With the cars, I have been with Geico since 2002; although I do do a quick search once a year to find out where they stand. If it's a decrease of more than $50, I'll switch. So far, they have stayed comparable.

Insurance companies aren't loyal, who should I be?:no-no-no:

Edited by Gamecock
clarification

Rates vary a bunch per state and now most companies also look at your credit scores.

Here in SC I found that I got Nationwide (Victoria) for almost half of what Progressive wanted (who I left 2 years ago). I think I am paying about $400/yr for GOOD full coverage on my 2006 RSTD and 2006 Strat.

Mike G in SC

PS: I am dealing with USAA on an estate. Very good people but rates are not real competitive. My mom was paying more for one car than I do for two (similar coverage & value).

I got progressive for my new bike. they where the cheapest with the best coveage when I checked around. I got my quot on line and also call a local allstate agent and they gave me a quot useing progressive and where a $100. more then the online quot. I guess allstate doen't do motorcycles. I had merkal ( bikeline ) ins. for the last 8 years and payed $80. a year. There new quot was $200. more than progressive. I was thinking it would have been cheaper, seeing I was a returning costumer.

I have had USAA auto and home insurance for 30 years or more. I discussed insuring my motorcycles with them a number of years ago and was told that USAA recommended using another company.

USAA is expanding their customer base, they aren't much different than any other commercial company any more. I should probably shop my home and auto policies for a better rate.

I used to use USAA for my autos. Even used them for a vehicle I was letting my sons use (I was in Wisconsin, they were in Virginia). The kids got some tickets and USAA told me they were dropping all my insurance, but that they would have one of their partners insure me at three times the rate. When I offered to just insure the kids through a different company, I was told mine would still go up "just in case they came to Wisconsin and drove one of the vehicles". At the time I was covered for someone else driving my vehicles, so I thought that was pretty unreasonable. It has been long enough that I could go back to USAA, but will never do so. Love their banking, hate their insurance. I have had a lot of other folks tell me that USAA was prone to drop you at the first instance of anything.

Well, I've been with USAA since I started driving some 30 years ago. But my motorcycle insurance is written by my insurance agency through Progressive. I've been an agent of progressive for a number of years and feel confident in their service. The rates are very competitive as well. They are 1 of 4 different companies I am able to write bikes with. By the way if anyone is interested in motorcycle ins. in Texas please contact me back. I would appreciate and be more than happy to have a new client. Yeah, I know, I'm peddling my wares but hey that's what I do. Thanks, and feel free to ask any questions.

David

Progressive Agent

I had Progressive when I changed from a 2004 Vstar 650 to my 2007 RSV earlier this year. Progressive premium went up like a rocket! For those of you who belong to AARP it might be worth it to check on their Foremost motorcycle coverage. Mine was less than half of Progressive, so I upgraded to much better coverage and still paid only a little over half of Progressive's rate.

Just my two pennies worth.

Mel:Venture:

I had Progressive when I changed from a 2004 Vstar 650 to my 2007 RSV earlier this year. Progressive premium went up like a rocket! For those of you who belong to AARP it might be worth it to check on their Foremost motorcycle coverage. Mine was less than half of Progressive, so I upgraded to much better coverage and still paid only a little over half of Progressive's rate.

Just my two pennies worth.

Mel:Venture:

Same here, Progressive tried to nail me big when I traded my RS for my RSV,,I went the AARP/Foremost route and am VERY HAPPY!!!:97:

Renne..............$ to spend on other things!

I have my cages insured with State Farm, and my RSV is insured with Allstate. I have always had my bikes insured with Allstate, and they are very biker friendly.

Full coverage is $490/year with $500 deductible on collision, and $100 deductible on comprehensive. This also includes $1000 for accessories, and towing and labor costs coverage.

I have my cages insured with State Farm, and my RSV is insured with Allstate. I have always had my bikes insured with Allstate, and they are very biker friendly.

Full coverage is $490/year with $500 deductible on collision, and $100 deductible on comprehensive. This also includes $1000 for accessories, and towing and labor costs coverage.

Allstate is biker friendly? I think they just like you for your $$$$....My Co. (Foremost) likes me better! $248 annual...$100k/$300k.$100k passenger..$250 deductible,,,$3,500 Accessories....Roadside/towing,,,,,,Yep,,My Co. likes me best!!!

Renne..............:680:

Allstate is biker friendly? I think they just like you for your $$$$....My Co. (Foremost) likes me better! $248 annual...$100k/$300k.$100k passenger..$250 deductible,,,$3,500 Accessories....Roadside/towing,,,,,,Yep,,My Co. likes me best!!!

Renne..............:680:

Thats what I pay with the Lizard. Of course, they may raise my rates if I every get the scoot off the :mytruck:

:bang head:

Guest Oldsalt

I failed to mention this in my earlier post but guess it was because I assumed (bad thing to do) that all knew it is more than premium cost when dealing with insurance companies. I remember the 'Good Hands' people at Allstate and how they treated my father. The only part of the 'Good Hands' he got was the middle finger. After watching that experience I would never buy insurance from Allstate, even if the premiums were $1/yr.

I have found the marriage of premiums and service from USSA for my cages to work out well for me. And the same combo from Progressive for my two wheelers. But as many have pointed out, we must stay diligent in keeping them competitive. It is a shame that there is not as easy a way to judge an insurance company's service as there is there premiums.

Oldsalt

I have had excellent out-pay by State farm on medical and rebuilding my first 86 VR twice, and a little rebuild on my second 86 VR. BUT, ... NO TOWING INSURANCE. So I'll look around for a seperate policy.

Policy shopping is happening more and more according to this post, and I am sure our current congressional economy is a part of what is causing this to happen. I will shop others, but THROUGH State Farm, as that way I think they get a 'cut.' At the age of my scoot, and perhaps as well as my own age of 71 this month, ... I think towing insurance is just a natural MUST HAVE!

And thanks to all who have posted. All of you have been helpful. This week I have my work cut out for me, ... by my State Farm contact! And Dam-, wouldn't you know it, ... she's happily married! I could not begin to match the rock on HER finger. LOL.

Have a great all! I owe all of you a :97: when we meet, ... eventually! LOL.

JackZ