IGNORED

Cell Phone Suggestions

Condor

Not ALL provide use Sims. I know that none of my Verizon phones ever have.

Yeah, I've run into that before on my son's phone, and thought it was just a basic freebe phone, but all the AT&T phones do use simms... at least in my price range... :). I think T-Mobile does also. It seems like when I find one that's unlocked for AT&T, T-Moble is also included...

I was with Sprint don't get anything from them the service is real bad, the phone's are junk. I had to change my phone three times and I found out that they sell recondition phones. I asked for a new phone and all they had was used one that they recondition. Wal-mart has pay as you go better then Sprint.

Just google Mil Spec Cell phones. These phones are tested to meet military standards and are the toughest phone you can buy.

Mark:97:

Looks like the Motorola Tundra might be one to search for. Sounds fairly bullet proof. Thanks for the idea...

Just google Mil Spec Cell phones. These phones are tested to meet military standards and are the toughest phone you can buy.

Mark:97:

In the last 6 years I have had 2 mil spec phones (Nextel rugged phones). My first one lasted just under 5 years and I replaced it because I was happy with the service and didn't want to spend 50 bucks on a new battery when I could get a new phone for that.

If you can find an AT&T phone that has that rating, that would be a good way to go.

That first phone has been abused. In the rain more times than I can count. Fell off my belt doing ~60 on the highway a couple of times, completely submerged in water 3 times (twice in a lake and once in a puddle). And lots of other stuff - but these were the worst. The only problems that I had with it were 1) the battery life was greatly diminished (but after 5 years of use, I was amazed it held any charge at all as most batteries start giving up sometime in the 1-2 year range) and 2) Toward the end of my usage of it, the contacts that the charger made contact with to charge the phone had to be tweaked so that the phone would charge (Motorola has fixed this issue with a better connector since then).

I don't know how well these phones would handle text messaging or whatever, but they certainly pass my abuse tests.

And for what it is worth, +1 to her financial stake in it = her taking better care of it.

Good luck!

You have Cricket up there Jack? When I got my daughter her first phone I was concerned about her er......self control.....on call times. Cricket has no contract and a variety of phones. Unlimited everything for a fixed rate every month. She survives primarly on texting, as I do because of my hearing loss, and she simply wears out the key pad. She's on her 4th phone in 4 years. I paid for the insurance and they have replaced every phone for $50.00 each.

She turns 18 next month and she asked me what she was getting. Responsibility! I'm going to give her some personal freedom and she can have her own service and pay for it out of her own account. Not so sure that was what she wanted. LOL!

But Cricket is a limited coverage area deal. If you're in the a primary coverage area she's good to go. She can't wander too far from home as the phone drops service out side of the area. With my daughter I see is as kind of an electronic leash. Heh heh.

I offered to give her one of my old phones but she wanted no part of that.

You have Cricket up there Jack? When I got my daughter her first phone I was concerned about her er......self control.....on call times. Cricket has no contract and a variety of phones. Unlimited everything for a fixed rate every month. She survives primarly on texting, as I do because of my hearing loss, and she simply wears out the key pad. She's on her 4th phone in 4 years. I paid for the insurance and they have replaced every phone for $50.00 each.

She turns 18 next month and she asked me what she was getting. Responsibility! I'm going to give her some personal freedom and she can have her own service and pay for it out of her own account. Not so sure that was what she wanted. LOL!

But Cricket is a limited coverage area deal. If you're in the a primary coverage area she's good to go. She can't wander too far from home as the phone drops service out side of the area. With my daughter I see is as kind of an electronic leash. Heh heh.

I offered to give her one of my old phones but she wanted no part of that.

We have a local called Metro. Sounds just like your Cricket. I have her (14+) on the family plan with unlimited texting. Each month we get our bill and it's about 1" thick. She's pretty good about talking..... After I turned off her phone for about 5 days because she burnt up all our family plan minutes. MOF I had to do it twice before she got the picture.. :)

(Now watch what happenes)

Woman and phones! You know what that's like right. Yak yak yak!!! :stickpoke:

(And that's when the fight started) :happy34:

Mine put 24 hours talk time on her phone in the first week she had it and about the same for each week for the next month. I think she finally got tired of talking. What? Nah!

I've had my current cell since she got her first. I just checked. I've got 62 hours, 53 minutes and 19 seconds on mine. That's over four years. Average call on mine:

"Hey, Hi. Yeah, Thanks. Sure. See ya later." Click.

Replace her phone, but tell her that the next replacement is on her..... she'll be much more careful how she handles them....

This works. My daughter was rough on phones and car keys. I made her replace the car keys she lost out of her own money, and told her she would buy her next cell phone when she lost hers. It's amazing how long those things last when they know they're paying for the next one.

We just switched to Sprints family plan. Got two Blackberry's for $49 and my son got a texting phone made of 40% corn, go figure. We ended up getting more share minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited Internet. I had 7 months to go on a contract with my previous carrier and got out of that for $50. All in all I am saving $19/mo. Also throught Sprint's referral program we got a $75 prepaid visa and so did the security guard at the hospital that recommended we switch. I'll have to say I really like the texting and I never thought I would. We text each other when we are in different rooms (lazy I know):thumbsup:

I recommend a Blackberry and get one of those metal sleeves that will protect the phone from any abuse. I know how it is when it comes to teenager abuse. My 17 year old daughter did not treat her Samsung touch phone the first time and it stopped responding to her...this was sent out for warranty repair and it took 3 weeks to get it back. For the meantime, she was stuck with an older legacy phone as a backup. When she got the phone back, I taught her to treat the phone with TLC or there will be no phone at all. I also showed her how I treat my Venture with TLC...this way personal possessions may last a lifetime.