IGNORED

Guess What..................

DragonRider

Charlene has been discharged from the hospital and we arrived home at 6:30 pm. The hold up was for her new aids that she needs during recovery, a walker, and a toilet seat riser with armrests, well they found one cleaned it up real good and sent her on her way, they really didnt need to keep her any longer as she was doing such a great job of following directions from the therapist. I have plenty of work to do around here in the next few days to get her all set up safely, 1st I need to install some handrails in her shower for support, move some furniture around so she will have a proper chair for sitting in the living room.

She is doing well, and I expect her recovery will go smoothly and quickly. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and well wishes as I know that had a lot to do with it. She will be signing on one day this week to post for herself but for now, from the bottom of our hearts our most greatful thanks for everyone's support.

My wife had both done at the same time. Belive me she need a bench seat to sit on in the shower, it will make it alot easyer on her. Of course you will have to help her get in and out. She will be nervous the first few times, so take it easy, do not rush her at all!! She will also like laying on the sofa with pillows under her legs.

tew47

So glad she is home with you, and out of the hospital.

Yep, don't over do it with and for her, but do the excercises PT asks. And Until all the incision is healed, use MAX sterile proceedures. I walked up 8 steps with hand rails on each side on my 6th day, tossing my walker up ahead of me on the floor above.

Prayers for her healing and your peace of mind, strength and continued caring love for her.

JackZ

hey dragon. another nice safety device in the shower is a shower stool. so she can sit down. i have one of these i use when the knee is bad and im afraid to stand in there.. i also installed the long hose type shower head so it can rest on the bottom of the tub floor. so i can grab it sit down turn on the shower and sit on the stool to shower, also i installed safety non slip strips on the tub floor. not telling ya what to do in your house just my safety tip ok

Those items are on the list of things I have to do and acquire, the stool part is already covered the toilet seat riser doubles as a shower stool, still have to go to home deopt/lowes to get the hose shower head and the handrails to install in the shower. The folks at Emory Ortho & Spine Hospital are top notch, they made sure we had all the bases covered before letting us go. They are exceptional people to deal with, I dont think Charlene surgery and care could have been better anywhere else, if she ever has to have any more ortho surgery, you can bet we will go back to them. And I highly reccomend them for any and all surgeries you might need, they are a teaching hospital and one of the best if not the best.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

\

hey dragon. another nice safety device in the shower is a shower stool. so she can sit down. i have one of these i use when the knee is bad and im afraid to stand in there.. i also installed the long hose type shower head so it can rest on the bottom of the tub floor. so i can grab it sit down turn on the shower and sit on the stool to shower, also i installed safety non slip strips on the tub floor. not telling ya what to do in your house just my safety tip ok

Certainly great news Lewis...Hope Charleen recovers as quick as my wife did.

My wife is now able to drive and do whatever she wants to do ....so says the Dr..but getting her back to cooking and doing laundry, cleaning house just isn't working..ha

Hey, one thing you should do is pick up any and all throw carpets so she does not trip on any of them..Would hate to see her walker catch a throw carpet and down she goes.

Thanks for the update..

Eck

Most of the home scene you have covered. I do urge following the PT workouts to the T, and then for the rest of her life. The muscles around the knee(s) keep the artificial ones in place, in line and working great. I too used the lead artho surgeon in the University of CO Hospital. They work great and I am SO glad I did them both at the same time!

Use absolute steril proceedures on the healing scars until the DR says not needed.

For those who may have this surgery ahead: my surgeon in '04 said they were working on developing a liner to be placed in the open wound area during surgery between the skin and the rest to prevent scars attaching to the skin, thus limiting movement. SEE now if it is developed.

FOR THE TWO OF YOU: PRayers, and I am so glad your wife has you there for her. Your help won't be needed longer than about two weeks though. I has taken me all of 5 years for a total healing; my surgeon said it would be that way. Only in the past 3 months have I been able to stand still and be comfortable doing so. I do the gym with PT prescribed exercises STILL 3X per week. Blessings and hugs to you both.

JackZ