IGNORED

Possibility for replacement horns on 2007 RSV?

Mel

I had a pair of these on my Vstar 650. Lots of open places to mount them, and they were LOUD at 109 Db. Reasonably priced and the pair only draws 6 amps. I'm thinking about trying to install a pair in the passing lamp light bar area or near the air deflectors on the forks where they would be out in the open and not muffled by a fairing or cowling. It may take fabricating some different mounting brackets, but it looks like it's doable. Comments?

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/AFI-10001/

Oops, tried to insert a pic but it didn't work.

:Venture::Venture::Venture:http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/AFI-10001/graphics/00000001/AFI-10001_med.jpg

I'm not real sure anyone here has used those since most of us go with the Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn at 139db. One of the members here (CarbonOne) even makes a custom bracket for us. Stebel and Fiamm also make a pair of electric hi-low horns that are 136db. I think you'll find any of these for less than $40.

I got a set of Blazer horns from Autozone. I paid about $30 for the pair. Each one is sold individually (low & high tone). I wired it up using a simple relay to keep the load off the factory horn. They're a simple electric horn, but sounds like an air horn!

I put a 1 low and 1 high tone on the bike (each at 135 db...YEAH, 135 db!). I did a test in my car port and nearly required a change of the drawers. I came in the house a minute later and my 18 month old was crying from the loud sound (all the doors and windows were closed)... These things are AWESOME loud for a good price! I even masked off the metal backside and primed/painted the black plastic trumpet to match the bike.

Here' a link.

Edit: The link provided is for the 112 db horn. They do have 135 db horns for sale.

I'd never seen the Wolo Bad Boy before. The chrome on it looks much nicer than the chrome on the Stebel. Is it the same horn with different chrome plastic on it (same volume)?? The dB is rated lower, but it doesn't give distance, so I'm wondering if it's the same thing, just measured a bit farther away from the horn than the 4" Stebel uses.

That's what I thought and hoped. That being the case, with one of Harbor Freight's constant 20% off coupons, it's $32 for that horn in chrome, which is super super low. I'm definitely going to get one just for the nicer chrome over my Stebel (chrome) horn, and relocate the Stebel somewhere less visible for a second horn.

:)

The distance is a LOT more for the Stainless horns than the Stabel Nautilus compact horn....

Interesting find!!!!!! How do they sound?

Good point! Do you have any information on the effect of attenuation? 139dBA at 4" is how much at 1m? Or, 109dBA at 1m == how much at 4"?

Dave

Good point! Do you have any information on the effect of attenuation? 139dBA at 4" is how much at 1m? Or, 109dBA at 1m == how much at 4"?

Dave

it is not attenuation, but dispersion.

IIRC in free space the power is dispersed by the cube of the distance....

BUT I would have to go out and measure it with a calibrated Sound Pressure Level Meter, which I don't have....

FYI, I just found out from Harbor Freight that the Wolo Bad Boy Chrome horn is only available online, not in stores. That means shipping added and no discount coupon, which brings the price to $49 instead of $32. Still cheaper than what I paid for my chrome Stebel, and still has nicer looking chrome than the Stebel version (imo). Just not the crazy cheap deal I thought.

:)