IGNORED

Broke a *%&!##$ Valve cover bolt

I looked at the pictures I took of my 83 as I was tearing it down.

It looks like you can get at it by pulling gas tank. You have to remove rear frame.

There are a couple of pictures attached.

I don't think you have to pull rear end of like one picture shows.

Gary

Hey Dan,

I am very sorry to hear this, could you please give us a few more details. Is it on the right side or left? Did just the head break off? Can you see any way to get the Valve Cover off over the stud? Fill us in and we will see if we can't get a game plan together.

Earl

If you have not done this already take the cover off maybe there is a bit of the bolt sticking up so you can get at it.

Also check to make sure you did not damage the cam cap.

Brad

That's my thinking. If it's just the bolt head you might have enough room to get a stud puller in there to remove it after getting the cover off.

The rear cover is the easiest. And if you can get the cover off. Then you may have to remove the cam cap. And will likely find this the easiest and safest thing to do. The cap has specific torque specs. SO dont' over torque its' bolts like the cam cover bolt. But to break the valve cover bolt is very odd. As they are into the aluminum cap. I HOPE the cap is not damaged. And to everyone, these are "STOP BOLTS". That's why they have the rubber bushings. They only go so far and STOP! Turning any more only strips threads or breaks bolts. I hope all goes well.