IGNORED

Difference between standard model and Royale

bigfoot590

That may be so, but I have never seen an OEM cb on an 85 VR. Most of us 85 VR's have the rest of the toys but the cb's seem to be scarce.

BRian

QualComm...or something like that.... put out an aftermarket CB for the MKI's that fit in the right side board above the CLASS system, and they were wired to work with the intercom and speakers. I see them show up on Ebay every once in a while. I don't believe the OEM CB's started until '86. A standard can have an OEM radio/tape installed as an option. MOF most standards I've seen already have the speakers installed at the factory even though there isn't a radio. That's why you run into standards that have the radio, but no CLASS. The CLASS was the only absolute difference between the Royale and the Standard. The labels on the covers over the years have gotten mixed up because of replacement. My '83VR has a XVZ12 label on the trunk for that reason. Same holds true for tank covers.

Edited by Condor

Hmmm, then the 2 MK1 CB's I own don't exist?? One is OEM with the same looking switcxhes and display, and one is aftermarket with toggle switch and different purple display...

A previous owner may have installed an OEM CB and board in yours before you bought it Bob. The boards parts are interchangable. I was planning on installing one in my '83 and just might still do it when I get energized. The problem I had was finding that MKII piece that flipped up to get to the overflow and the surrounding face. Now I have several... :)

BTW, I just drug out an 83-85 Service Manual and there is no mention of a CB.

Edited by Condor

OK the aftermarket one came with the '85, and the OEM one I bought on Fleabay. The OEM face looks like the '85 up version but mounts in the center. The actual transmitter/receiver is in a separate box and mounted above the air vent. Also, if the CB was not available, then why have the Jack for the CB input on the system amplifier and the removable panel on the dash?

Actually, on Goldie I ended up installing a MK2 unit where the MK1 unit goes by remounting my surge tank as far forward as possible and morphing the MK2 plastic mount on to the MK1 piece.

I agree with you about no mention of CB in the TM but that is because it was an option, not standard equipmwnt.

Not trying to start a war, Jack, you are my buddy and always will be!!

Not trying to start a war, Jack, you are my buddy and always will be!!

En Gard Buddy...... :rotf::rotf: I've always wondered why they made that removable panel above the CLASS on MKI's. I think the '83 panel was even made that way?? The OEM CB may very well have been an option in '85, but since the Royale was supposted to be loaded from the git-go I wonder why that was?? Anyway, it's not that important. If you have an OEM in Goldie then the '85's had them. The only constant difference between the Royale and the Standard...through all the years.... was the CLASS system. :duck: