IGNORED

starter brushes

Keep an eye open for brush sets tagged as "B-5 Mitsuba 2-Brush".

I picked up two sets a year ago off eBay for $5.00 each. Perfect match for our starters.

Man after buying those I feel like a thief. Been looking at the prices for them today and that's just nuts.

thanks il keep that # and keep an eye out. :thumbsup:

Keep an eye open for brush sets tagged as "B-5 Mitsuba 2-Brush".

I picked up two sets a year ago off eBay for $5.00 each. Perfect match for our starters.

Man after buying those I feel like a thief. Been looking at the prices for them today and that's just nuts.

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=70-103&pmc=ODNZYW1YVloxMjAw

(70-103) Starter Motor Brushes

Description

Starter Motor Brushes (2 Brush /Mitsuba)

Price

$ 19.95

And there ya go.......

I was just looking at their site. That's the same set I bought off eBay. Can't beat that price.

They do the job. Have had mine in for two season now and the starter spins like a top. But than again, cable upgrade, full rebuild on the starter with extra ground strap, DEKA AGM battery, new solenoid, upgraded fuse panel..........yep!

And to think I was going to skip the brushes! D'oh!

clean the original holder is not a problem. I know the brushes I put in 10 years ago work great from D-K. Also the originals were barely more than 1/2 warn. But there was a lot of brush dust that needed cleaning out. You should also clean/"address" the armature area w/600 grit or finer paper. See a service manual.

Hey Poppa Bear.

The extra ground strap I was talking about is internal on the starter. When you open it up and look at the brush plate assembly you will see a braided wire ground on the one side. Simply duplicate that on the other side. Not a big deal to make the mod once you see what I'm talking about.

The new solenoid was a NOS OEM I found on eBay.

The starter is the orginal 2 brush from my '84. I was having the old "heat soak, hot start" problems like so many of the guys have had. Drag like bear when it was hot and had to wait for it to cool down to get it going again.

I stripped mine down and did a complete cleaning and got rid of all the gunk and dust and cleaned the armature contacts. Cleaned up the grooves on the armature with a jewels saw. Changed out the brushes, added the ground strap and lubed the bushings good before putting it back together.

With the upgraded cables the power got to where it needed to be and starter performs great now. No more hot start problems either. Did a 135 miles on a 98 degree day on the Interstate and stopped for fuel. Shut it off and hit the button and it fired right back up. Never gave it another thought. Been great ever since.

Hey Poppa Bear.

The extra ground strap I was talking about is internal on the starter. When you open it up and look at the brush plate assembly you will see a braided wire ground on the one side. Simply duplicate that on the other side. Not a big deal to make the mod once you see what I'm talking about.

Snaggletooth is going to post explanation using these pictures.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Gary

Edited by dingy
added 4th picture

Ok.... an update to my comments to improving the ground on the brush plate.

Been comparing notes with Dingy on the starter. Apparently the PO made some mods on this prior to my owning the bike. So what I did was sort of a duplication of what he did but not a complete seperate ground.

The PO had added an extra wire and a rather simple spring strip to rub against the inside of the starter housing. I thought is was a stock setup when I opened it up. Not the case so I'm not going into what he did. More complicated that it needed to be.

So here is the deal.

The whole point it to improve the ground from the brush plate to the starter housing.

The tabs on the mounting plate (white arrows) are the contact points for the ground on the plate to the starter housing. This has been questioned as a possible cause of the heat soak/hot start problem. Given the expansion and contaction of different materials at changing temps it's a reasonable assumption.

The best way to gain a better ground is add a wire from the plate to the starter housing directly. (blue line) And making sure the tabs on the plate fit firmly into the housing itself. Clean and tight.

This involves some drilling and tapping and I'd go with Red Loctite as you don't want the screws coming loose inside the starter. Make sure the new ground wire (heavy gauge or even solid) is tucked against the outer wall of the housing and well out of the way and will stay put.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Hi Pappa.

Sorry about the confusion. The PO did some interesting things to this bike. I thought I'd found most of them. His idea for adding an extra ground was effective, if not a bit more complicated than it needed to be. What he did was very well done and I took it for being made that way.

After talking with Dingy I figured out what was done. The wire I added to his mod was nothing more than a extra wire and did not create another ground. It just beefed up what he had done.

The single wire like I stated from plate to housing should do everything you need to make sure you have a solid ground all the time.

Hi Pappa.

Sorry about the confusion. The PO did some interesting things to this bike. I thought I'd found most of them. His idea for adding an extra ground was effective, if not a bit more complicated than it needed to be. What he did was very well done and I took it for being made that way.

After talking with Dingy I figured out what was done. The wire I added to his mod was nothing more than a extra wire and did not create another ground. It just beefed up what he had done.

The single wire like I stated from plate to housing should do everything you need to make sure you have a solid ground all the time.

Did PO run a braided wire down between coils and attach with a screw and nut through starter housing?

There looks like there is enough room to get a #10 screw between coils.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Nope.....that was what I was trying to explain in the PM on what he had done. He ran a a wire from the post where the brush wires attach to the brush holder and then ran a wire down to the mounting plate, where he drilled and tapped a hole for a screw. From that point he fabbed a spring out of what might have been an old tension spring from a set of points that was fastened to the bottom of the plate. When you tightend the screw to hold the wire onto the plate the spring had to be aligned to rub on the inside wall of the starter housing between the coils. It was stiff enough that I had to use a pick to hold it down inside while I worked the plate assemebly back into position. It did create a ground for sure.

A lot more complicated than it needed to be. A single wire from plate to the housing would have been fine. I would have to guess he didn't want to have to drill a hole in the starter housing. Go figure.

The way it was done was very neat and looked like it was made that way. So I never gave it another thought.