IGNORED

What is MOTGATT & ATGATT?

Wolf

ATGATT All The Gear All the Time

MOTGATT Most Of The Gear All of The Time

ATGATT is usually Helmet, Eye protection using a shield, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, and Pants/Chaps all specifically made for motorcycle use.

MOTGATT is usually Helmet, Boots, and maybe Gloves. A lot of folks will drop the Jacket and Pants/Chaps depending on the weather.

I won't get into the discussion of either because that is almost as dangerous as religion or politics.

JB

I won't get into the discussion of either because that is almost as dangerous as religion or politics.

JB

You ain't just whistling Dixie there my friend! Stong opinions when it comes to that. Over on the Wing forum they are really anal about the ATGATT, so I made my signature read SGST, Some gear, Some Times, just to keep them riled up, :whistling:

You ain't just whistling Dixie there my friend! Stong opinions when it comes to that. Over on the Wing forum they are really anal about the ATGATT, so I made my signature read SGST, Some gear, Some Times, just to keep them riled up, :whistling:

LOL, you all just like keeping things interesting dont you?:stirthepot:

Brian:smile5:

I've never heard those terms before. I guess I would be a WEWFY. (What Ever Works for You) Weather, riding conditions and local laws dictate what I wear. I always wear boots, jeans and gloves but if I'm in FL and it's 90, it's T-Shirts and the lid is stowed. Some may think I'm crazy but that's just me. I know no one can avoid every possible scenario but after 30 years, the way I ride is my greatest safety feature. I love the freedom and riding just wouldn't be the same if I were covered in body armor. We all have a common interest and love but bikers are individualists and everyone should wear what they want.

i usually am most gear always and all gear sometimes.

if i wear all gear in Louisiana August, i come home smellin' like a camel.

At least i come home alive, but it does get tiresome smellin' myself.

It's ATGATT for me. Helmets are the law anyway and I have a mesh riding jacket that works OK in 80 F here on the sometimes but not very often too hot coast.

I just wear a T-shirt under the gear, soak with cool (not cold) water, zip up and ride, zipping down slowly. It works for me. Course we don't have a high humidity level here, but I did the same thing in 5+ years in OH. CO preferred of course. At times I even poor on my head, and put the helmet on. Lots of cool water, year round.

The important thing IS first that we Ride to Live, and the second then is how we dress.

Just my 1 cent's worth! :2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

JackZ

LOL, you all just like keeping things interesting dont you?:stirthepot:

Brian:smile5:

Yes I feel its my duty!:2133: Especially when folks start taking themselves way too serious or become overly self righteous.:rasberry:

I have been through a major wreck with gear on and half helmet. Broken ribs and 4 inches of road rash, so it worked. Everyone makes a personal choice to balance risk with the riding pleasure and I respect their choices as long as they respect mine.:biker:

In '07 I rode back thru Nevada from Ft Collins in 105deg weather. Wore a black mesh jacket, helmet and gloves. Outside of having to drink lots of Desantis, and still getting dehydrated, I was perfectly comfortable. True the humidity was low and made things cooler at 70mph. Heat and high humidity might have done me in. :scorched:

Yes I feel its my duty!:2133: Especially when folks start taking themselves way too serious or become overly self righteous.:rasberry:

I have been through a major wreck with gear on and half helmet. Broken ribs and 4 inches of road rash, so it worked. Everyone makes a personal choice to balance risk with the riding pleasure and I respect their choices as long as they respect mine.:biker:

I agree with ya that everyone has to make their own choices. I also like that you like to see if we are still reading the posts by stirring thing....lol!

I personally prefer to wear most of the gear, BUT there are days when the mood just doesnt strike me that I need it, so Its my choice and no one else's.

Brian

MOTGMOTT (most of the gear most of the time) but NJNWIMITMOSW100%H (no jacket no way in Mississippi in the middle of summer with 100% humidity)

I have no problem wearing everything until it's a choice between not wearing the gear and having a small chance of needing it

or

wearing it and knowing I'll need it from passing out from heat stroke at 75MPH.

:hihi:

Irene and I wear mesh kevlar shirts in the summer. Irene wears a sleeveless t-shirt under hers because they are mesh. When it's really hot I also wear a t-shirt under the kevlar and then we soak the shirts down with water. (Holds more water with the t-shirt.) The evaporative cooling is great. Much cooler than a t-shirt alone, and way more abrasion resistant.

We wear kevlar lined jeans too, but they're not any cooler than regular jeans. On the other hand, they don't seem any hotter either.

Whats amazing is how your attitude about ATGATT can change after you have been in a bad accident.

Full agreement on that. I always ride MOTGATT. And that includes on 90*+ days here in Texas. The only semi serious laydown I've ever had on my bike was when I was wearing ATTGATT, full face helmet, mesh jacket, gloves, and armored riding jeans. Only injury I had was from where my hand had hit the mirror stem. If I had been wearing my armored gloves, I would not have had that much. The rain gear I was wearing was completely shredded. My full face had a 3 in wide diagonal graze across the front of it from where I landed face first in a gravel patch and is also why you'll never see me in anything that does not have a full face shield on it.

Standard gear for me is usually one of my mesh or leather jackets depending on the weather, gloves, and either my full or flip face helmets. I might take the jacket off while I'm riding in Houston/Austin city traffic [i live halfway between both] but if I get on one of the highways, the jacket goes back on. The PIP coverage on my bike insurance is not enough for me to be willing to take 6+ months off without pay while I heal up! :Avatars_Gee_George:

I'm ATGATT. I've got an Olympia Airglide jacket and pants for hot weather and heavier stuff for when it's cool(er) or cold. I've ridden and done OK when it's upper 90's. A little warmwhen stuck in traffic :scorched: but not bad at all when you're move. A evap o dana around the neck and I'm fine regardless of temps. Again, it's a personal thing. How much risk are ya willing to take? I'm too old for road rash if I can avoid it:clap2: