IGNORED

Vmax wheels & tires on VR?

If you are talking about a 1st gen, you can't go with Wider Tires, there is no clearance with the drive shaft for a wider tire.

The Vmax engine and trans can be installed in the VR.

The differential can be installed in the VR.

You're saying the Vmax has something different in the rear wheel assembly?

It's got a wider swing arm and rear wheel?

I've seen on other (other than VRs) bikes where people have cut a chunk out of the drive shaft portion of a swing arm to allow access for a wider tire...then welded a plate where the chunk was cut out...

I'm not saying it's a good idea. I wouldn't do it, but it's always an option. :hihi:

Why wouldn't the V-Max drive shaft/swing arm fit into a VR frame?

Since the First Gen. speedo is driven off of the front wheel, the speedo will be the same no matter what tire/rim you put on the back of the bike. Now, that would change if you put a different tire/rim on the front.

Just so we are all on the same page, :thumbsup2:

Earl

OK, I have done a little research in the VR and Vmax manuals.

I then calculated the tire dimensions.

It would seem that putting a Vmax rear tire on a VR would increase the tire width by about 1/2" (1/4" per side). My 1985 VR has about 1/2" of clearance between the driveshaft and the edge of the rear tire.

The VR rear tire height appears to be 25.92" versus the Vmax at 25.64". This translates to making the VR only 0.14" closer to the ground.

The wildcard here will be the tire manufacturers seem to have slightly different dimensions for the same size. However, this makes me think if I come across a good deal on Vmax wheels/tires, I might pick them up!

1985 VR Tires

front = 120/90-18-65H

120mm or 4.50/4.75" wide

108mm or 4.25" sidewall

rear = 140/90-16-71H

140mm or 5.50/6.00" wide

126mm or 4.96" sidewall

Vmax Tires

front = 110/90V-18

110mm or 4.00/4.75" wide

99mm or 3.90" sidewall

rear = 150/90V-15

150mm or 6.00/6.25" wide

135mm or 5.32" sidewall

Since the First Gen. speedo is driven off of the front wheel, the speedo will be the same no matter what tire/rim you put on the back of the bike. Now, that would change if you put a different tire/rim on the front.

Just so we are all on the same page,

Earl

Dang, I knew that.... :bang head: If the tire fits you must acquit... Maybe running a 15" wheel would be better than swapping out the final?? And there's one on Ebay right now

OK, I'll ask, what's the point?

Many folks customize their scoots with fancy paint and chrome stuff. Many others cannot understand why one would change anything.

I want my VR to run better - faster - quicker and look a certain way without getting too far away from the stock handling and ride. The Vmax rear tire is wider and looks more aggressive, and darn few VR's are running around wearing Vmax wheels. :happy34: