IGNORED

Guitar Players - how long does it take?

SilvrT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been learning the guitar for the past 2+ months . I'm a lefty and got myself an Ibanez Artcore , along with a Pevey Vyper 15 watt amp . It's a Jazz guitar and a thin body . Sore fingers lasted me about 6 weeks and started forming calasis around 3 weeks . That's practicing for 45 minutes each evening around the same time each day .

I started learning 7 chords here

. Then went to this site to learn the basics here . Then to this site to advance myself even further here . I started with "Louie-Louie" , then "Greensleeves" , "Horse with no name" and now playing "House of the Rising Sun".

Back to the fingers .......growing calasis more and more , I use a pomus stone to smooth off the rough edges or the loose skin that develops .I keep my nails trimmed as well . You will also get that weird feeling on your finger tips when you goto pick up items , especially items such as coins or sheets of paper . Don't panic , you will get used to it !

What is hardest for myself is that I'm a lefty . Reading lessons that are mainly for right handed students . I do not read music , but find TABS the easiest for me . And if you have not learned sheet music , it's a whole new lingo , but be patient , you will get there . I'm 48 and learning .

As far as professional lessons , I'm trying to learn the basics before I fork over the $$ to advance myself . This way I'm not entering the classroom totally blind . I have been invited to sit in on some of the local sessions in our community , but want to learn a little bit more so I do not hurt my pride . If you know what I mean .

BEER30

I got a guitar for xMas ... have always wanted to learn to play...never did.

I practised boxing day and both days following...probably a couple hours each day. My chording fingers are so sore, tender, and numb feeling it almost hurts to type. I'm not sure if I should take a chance and practise more and risk doing more damage to my fingers or wait a few more days until the "normal" feeling comes back. And that brings me to my question... how long does it take before my fingers will start feeling normal again? (or will they?)

:crying: ... mommy, it hurts ... :crying:

:sign20:

I haven't read all of the advice so I may be repeating what has already been said.

First of all take the guitar to a reputable music store and have it set up for you. Tell them you are a beginner and want an easy action. They will know what strings to put on and how to set it up properly. With it properly set up you will find that you won't have to push the strings so hard to make a clear note. Taking pressure off the sore fingertips.

As for the sore fingers, well it usually takes about 3 weeks of sheer pain before you suddenly realize you are able to practice longer and longer. My advice is to practice no more than 30-45 minutes a day until that time. Any more just plain hurts and really will do nothing more than discourage you from wanting to pick it up again.

The best advice I can give you is if you really want to play the guitar, NEVER and I mean NEVER go more than a week off from practice or you will lose the callouses and have to start over again.

If you feel that the steel strings are hurting too much, you can have them put nylon on until you develop the callouses.

I have 4 acoustic electric, one acoustic, and one electric guitar. My favorite one is the last one I bought and it's a classical guitar and I kicked myself in the butt for not getting it first. Believe it or not they are MUCH easier to learn on than a steel string. They are smaller, the neck is wider so the strings are farther apart and they only have nylon stings. My playing got better faster when I bought it and I found myself playing every day.

There are TONS of good videos on Youtube that can teach you songs. I suggest as a great free site to learn music theory as well as how to play. http://www.justinguitar.com/

Hey Salty , It's time to Jam !!

We will have to get together and cause some headaches noise . Which now brings up a new question , "Guitars and MC's, How you Haul them ?" . Well I have already transported mine on the back of the scoot . Being that I have 2 flag poles , I place my guitar case on top of the backrest with the neck pointing to the rear . Neck of the case rest between the 2 flag poles and I bungee it securely . Only issue is that I cannot do 2 up . But I can always use the BEERCART to haul the wife in ! :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

BEER30

Hey Salty , It's time to Jam !!

We will have to get together and cause some headaches noise . Which now brings up a new question , "Guitars and MC's, How you Haul them ?" . Well I have already transported mine on the back of the scoot . Being that I have 2 flag poles , I place my guitar case on top of the backrest with the neck pointing to the rear . Neck of the case rest between the 2 flag poles and I bungee it securely . Only issue is that I cannot do 2 up . But I can always use the BEERCART to haul the wife in ! :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

BEER30

She might prefer that to being seen on a 2nd Gen!!:rasberry::stirthepot:

I haven't read all of the advice so I may be repeating what has already been said.

First of all take the guitar to a reputable music store and have it set up for you. Tell them you are a beginner and want an easy action. They will know what strings to put on and how to set it up properly. With it properly set up you will find that you won't have to push the strings so hard to make a clear note. Taking pressure off the sore fingertips.

As for the sore fingers, well it usually takes about 3 weeks of sheer pain before you suddenly realize you are able to practice longer and longer. My advice is to practice no more than 30-45 minutes a day until that time. Any more just plain hurts and really will do nothing more than discourage you from wanting to pick it up again.

The best advice I can give you is if you really want to play the guitar, NEVER and I mean NEVER go more than a week off from practice or you will lose the callouses and have to start over again.

If you feel that the steel strings are hurting too much, you can have them put nylon on until you develop the callouses.

I have 4 acoustic electric, one acoustic, and one electric guitar. My favorite one is the last one I bought and it's a classical guitar and I kicked myself in the butt for not getting it first. Believe it or not they are MUCH easier to learn on than a steel string. They are smaller, the neck is wider so the strings are farther apart and they only have nylon stings. My playing got better faster when I bought it and I found myself playing every day.

There are TONS of good videos on Youtube that can teach you songs. I suggest as a great free site to learn music theory as well as how to play. http://www.justinguitar.com/

Thanks... some good pointers and yes, some have been mentioned. I've been following some of the lessons at justinguitar.com... great stuff.

When I was showing interest in having a guitar, I indicated I wanted a Classical because of the nylon strings, 3/4 size, etc, etc but the wife and her daughter felt the acoustic would be better due to the difference in sound... I dunno why.

I practised some more last night after a 2 day rest... it was easier on the fingers and I'm starting to feel that they are toughening up. Was working on A, E, & D chording and changing between the 3 ... seems to be coming along pretty good ... I'm really enjoying it and having a blast!

I'll be taking the guitar to a shop either this weekend or next week for setup as suggested.

Thanks a bunch guys and it's great to have others to chit-chat with and share ideas and experience, suggestions, and just to have others doing the same thing to communicate with.

:thumbsup2:

I love my guitars also but don't play worth a dang. I'll keep plugging away at it though. My main player is my Seagull S6 Acoustic Electric cutaway. It just has a fantastic action. I also have a Yamaha acoustic and an Epiphone acoustic. I've had the Epiphone for about 40 years. It's a beautiful guitar but never had a good action.

I can't justify buying another guitar but would love to have a hollow body electric like a Gibson or Gretsch. May start watching for a good deal on something similar but lower priced like the Ibanez Artcore, Epiphone DOT or something.

I play Larrivee acoustic guitars and have sold my other guitars since I retired. Larrivee is a company that started in Canada, but now also makes instruments in California as well. They make mandolins and electric guitars as well as acoustics. I have an acoustic and an electric bass guitar from them as well.

:guitarist 2:

I have a feeling that I am doing this, especially with my index finger.

The strings are not that high ... it's a good quality Yamaha Acoustic guitar.

Should be a lot easier on the tips since an acoustic has a wider neck and the thin strings are nylon. It's those dang thin steel strings and narrow necks that'll getcha....

I love my guitars also but don't play worth a dang. I'll keep plugging away at it though.

I'm in that same boat. The wife hasn't complained yet and every now and then I get some encouragement from hearing her say "That was good". I play for me and me alone. I couldn't find a chord if you had 3 people in front of me wanting to hear me play. Too much pressure. LOL

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

http://www.scenicnewengland.net/guitar/

http://www.roedyblack.com/Downloads.html

http://www.chordbook.com/index.php

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

http://bobsguitarlessons.yolasite.com/

http://www.songsterr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/scoby1knoby

hey Ric ,heres a few sites that i use and have found to be helpful,theres also a ton of info on youtube . i quit smoking a few months ago and bought a guitar to keep my hands busy,been bashing away and having a lot of fun since .sore fingers are done in a few weeks .practice practice practice and keep it fun . theres a good guitar shop in New West a few blocks south of 10th ave on Kingsway ,Neil Douglas Guitars ,have heard good things about him.

I've had a guitar for over 50 yrs. Still can't play the **** thing!!

I am in the same bracket. I go strong for awhile and then stuff gets in the way or I get discouraged because my think stubby fingers can't do certian chords. As far as the finger tips go i found it only takes about a week of steady practice to toughen them up to the point were they feel no pain, and as the calouse's devolp the strings become easier to hold down. because they dont sink into your skin so deep. All of this I am the worlds best expert on because I don't think anyone has quit and started over and got no were more than me. P/S before tweaking your own guitar which is easy to do, have an expert show you how 1st, because although most of it is very easy to do it also very easy to screw up, I broke the neck on one guitar following a do it yourself guitar repair book. Now even though I still can not play well I got pretty ggod good at tweaking and making adjustments to them. Key here is if things are way out only make small adjustments over a period of time so things have time to settle into place. NOW IF I COULD JUST PLAY THE D*** THING :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Should be a lot easier on the tips since an acoustic has a wider neck and the thin strings are nylon. It's those dang thin steel strings and narrow necks that'll getcha....

I think you're thinking of a classical coz neither my acoustic nor Nina's daughter's acoustic have either a wider neck or nylon strings.

Just push past the pain. have fun. the caulises will come. Iv'e been playing bass guitar for over 25 years and when I do pick up and play my accustic( not to often) those little strings still hert my fingers. I like the big strings. Listen to all the guys on setting up your guitar, It will help. Now go play your guitar!!:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

I have an Ibanez electric, a suzuki classical, and a seagull s6. just like Don I prefer my seagull,which just happens to be Canadian built. BTW one trick I have heard of but never tried, is to coat your finger tips with liquid bandage (also called liquid skin) . You can find it in the drug stores.

I think you're thinking of a classical coz neither my acoustic nor Nina's daughter's acoustic have either a wider neck or nylon strings.

Yep, my bad. And that's why I have a Classical. My hands are so big I can't finger the strings without touching the adjacent string on a classical and an acoustic is a joke.... And that's why I can only play a few cords...but it's still fun to drag the thing out every once in a while and plunk.... :)