IGNORED

Guitar Players - how long does it take?

SilvrT

I got a guitar for xMas ... have always wanted to learn to play...never did.

I practised boxing day and both days following...probably a couple hours each day. My chording fingers are so sore, tender, and numb feeling it almost hurts to type. I'm not sure if I should take a chance and practise more and risk doing more damage to my fingers or wait a few more days until the "normal" feeling comes back. And that brings me to my question... how long does it take before my fingers will start feeling normal again? (or will they?)

:crying: ... mommy, it hurts ... :crying:

:sign20:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oldest son has been there and done that. With daily practice he had that guitar howling purty good. The pain in the finger tips became less as he formed callouses there from the steel wires.....roughly 2 months as I recall. Practice,practice,practice.....:happy65:

Boomer....who knows you'll never be Elvis but ya could end up inna Honky Tonk playing on Stage behind a chicken wire fence to protect ya from flying beer bottles.:crackup:

Yep, a month or two to develope good callouses.

However, I suggest going to an extra light or silk-and-steel string gauge until you build up your fingers. A higher string height also makes depressing the strings harder. And some new players depress the strings too much, you only have to depress them enough that they don't buzz against the frets. A good setup with low string action, smooth frets and light gauge strings can make playing a lot easier.

It doesn't take long to develop the calluses if you play every day. Just keep at it and remember you're starting to get somewhere when your fingers bleed.

If you try to give your fingers a break until they start to feel "normal" it'll just take you longer to get them into playing condition. Practice, practice, practice.

:thumbsup:

It doesn't take long to develop the calluses if you play every day. Just keep at it and remember you're starting to get somewhere when your fingers bleed.

If you try to give your fingers a break until they start to feel "normal" it'll just take you longer to get them into playing condition. Practice, practice, practice.

:thumbsup:

That's the answer I was needing coz I wasn't sure if I should keep practising or wait for a few days. :thumbsup2:

As for the "bleeding" ... ain't gonna happen! LOL

However, I suggest going to an extra light or silk-and-steel string gauge until you build up your fingers. A higher string height also makes depressing the strings harder. And some new players depress the strings too much, you only have to depress them enough that they don't buzz against the frets. A good setup with low string action, smooth frets and light gauge strings can make playing a lot easier.

I have a feeling that I am doing this, especially with my index finger.

The strings are not that high ... it's a good quality Yamaha Acoustic guitar.

Take it to a good guitar store and have them check it for you. There are a few things that can make it harder on your fingers. Strings too heavy, saddle too high at the bridge, nut too high at the neck, neck angle needs to be adjusted, etc. All of these are minor tweaks that will be cheap to fix, but on a production guitar (like your Yamaha) they set them up to a standard at the factory. Sometimes things need to be adjusted to fit your tastes, just like your bike.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:. Thats Exactly whaat take as pain relife.

Most new guitars come out of box with cheap set of strings. First think is to replace Strings even with electrical guitar Ultra light or extra light

Here is a Link> http://www.samash.com/p/2032%20Blue%20Steel%20XL%20%20Acoustic%20Guitar%20Strings%201048_-49963590

Good Luck and dont quit jet.

Edited by stardbog

I did a bit of fooling around with the son's geetar and them strings will do a painful number in short order on yer fingertips for sure.:crying:

Boomer....who sez its a lot easier to pay someone to bang out a tune on dat geetar rather than practicing self-abuse to play the darn thing.

Find yourself someone to play with!!! I can't stress enough that this will keep you interested and motivated to keep pushing and learning new things.

Formal lessons are up to you and your ability to figure things out. But a friend, or group of friends willing to "bring you along" is essential.

Learning to play is like being on a diet. There are certain plateaus that you will hit and without that extra push you may never get over.

Keep it fun, play the music you like, do a little experimenting.

Who knows, in a few years we may all be bragging that we knew him way back when.

:clap2:

Find yourself someone to play with!!! I can't stress enough that this will keep you interested and motivated to keep pushing and learning new things.

Formal lessons are up to you and your ability to figure things out. But a friend, or group of friends willing to "bring you along" is essential.

Learning to play is like being on a diet. There are certain plateaus that you will hit and without that extra push you may never get over.

Keep it fun, play the music you like, do a little experimenting.

Who knows, in a few years we may all be bragging that we knew him way back when.

:clap2:

Finding someone to "play with" (now guyz... get yer mind outta the gutter) is no problem. My wife's daughter is a singer/songwriter/guitarist and she's the one who inspired me to realize a life-long dream.

As for "keeping interested" ... heh... as I mentioned, this has been a life-long dream and I am not gonna loose interest now.

What they said and get new strings. Shorter sessions more often helped me get past the finger pain. I use slinky (electric) strings on my acoustics. The strings on new guitars are crap, change them and have a good shop set them up the first time. I bought myself a new to me Ibanez acoustic/electric for Christmas.Have fun Rod

Rick,

I agree with the light strings and the set-up, however you can do the set-up yourself. Check out frets.com site and you will get to know your instrument as well as the tech at most guitar shops ( but not all, there are issues I might not attempt myself such as structural etc. ). If you make adjustments to the bridge or nut do them in small increments. I found a tip cleaning set for an acetylene torch works well for the nut, its like a set of tiny files, just pull the proper size thru the string slot, they will not remove alot material quickly so you can use small increments in making adjustments. The web site is a great tool PLEASE read first.

And the fingers will get there before you know it.

If its not a solid top guitar it would most likely be safe to keep it out of the case on a stand or hanging, you WILL play it more if it looking at you all the time.

Just make it part of your lifestyle, like your RSV.

:guitarist 2:

Gary

Practice is the key :080402gudl_prv:

It takes time and it can be enjoyable and Frustrating as well

You can do better if you know some people that play

or decide to take some lessons

This months issue of acoustic magazine

has a great list of top acoustic cd's from the past 20 years

along with a few good songs to try

You should bring your guitar in and see about getting it set up

The shop can make adjustments to the guitar to make it much easier to play

You will enjoy it more

Most guitars are manufactured with particular string guage to be used.

My Alvarez Yauri came Elixir Light / Medium gauge strings .012 -- .056

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_acoustic.html

My Martin recommends a Light medium as well

The elixir strings are coated and feel real good in the beginning

give them a shot

I leave my guitar out so I can pick it up and play anytime

As for the pain in the fingers

Don"t over do it till you are in pain

The next day you wont enjoy practice

I over did it and my finger tip swelled the nail cut the skin

it was infected then the callous and skin on the whole tip came off

it was 6 weeks till I could press down on the strings

After a month or so you will notice you ability to practice long amounts of time

When you muscles in your hand hurt give it a break as well

Set a side a time and space for your yourself to practice

I finally I decided to take lessons

1 hour a week lesson -- Lessons will help prevent bad habits

I practice at least 1 hour a day some days I loose track and stop whenever

- Chord Changes

- Finger exercises

PM me I have plenty of online resources I can send you

http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

http://www.jamplay.com/

http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.com/profile/DaveWells

Dave W

I used to sit and watch my dad play his guitar and payed close attention to where he placed his fingers and how he strumed the strings and I was never able to figure it out. I wound up inheriting his guitars and have spent many evenings trying to learn with books,CD's and any other way I can. Dad learned by sound and by playing the slow Church Hymnals. He could hear a song in a commercial and pick up one and pick it right out and it would sound just like on TV.The fingers, yep they are sore but I'm not gonna give in. They will toughen up in a few weeks. I usually practice for as long as I can stand the pain every evening.

I used to sit and watch my dad play his guitar and payed close attention to where he placed his fingers and how he strumed the strings and I was never able to figure it out. I wound up inheriting his guitars and have spent many evenings trying to learn with books,CD's and any other way I can. Dad learned by sound and by playing the slow Church Hymnals. He could hear a song in a commercial and pick up one and pick it right out and it would sound just like on TV.The fingers, yep they are sore but I'm not gonna give in. They will toughen up in a few weeks. I usually practice for as long as I can stand the pain every evening.

cool... so how long have you been at it so far? I think I will set myself a schedule of an hour every second evening to begin with. I'm currently working on A, E, & D chords and changing from one to the other.

Here's some good stuff I found on the net ...

http://www.justinguitar.com/

of course, I am just on the "Beginners course" material.

What Dave Wells said about strengthening the muscles was true. What I used to do if I couldn't play, was squeeze a rubber ball or one of the spring loaded hand exercisers with my finger tips. It will help a lot.

I don't like electric guitar strings on my acoustics. I'd use silk&steel or extra light (11 gauge) acoustic strings until you start to build calouses. You'll practice more if your guitar sounds good, is my opinion. Yamaha makes a fine guitar.

55 Years.....just kiddin.... Up until the cold and rainy weather set in I was kept busy with outside work in the yard. About a month and a half, mostly on the rainy days. So I started with about a half hour every night and then I'm at about 45 minutes before my fingers ache. I've also got arthritis in my hands and that puts an added OUCH to it. I'm workin on G,D7. and C right now they are easier on my hands, if you know what I mean.

What Dave Wells said about strengthening the muscles was true. What I used to do if I couldn't play, was squeeze a rubber ball or one of the spring loaded hand exercisers with my finger tips. It will help a lot.

I don't like electric guitar strings on my acoustics. I'd use silk&steel or extra light (11 gauge) acoustic strings until you start to build calouses. You'll practice more if your guitar sounds good, is my opinion. Yamaha makes a fine guitar.

I'm going to look into having it re-strung with those strings (or something). I don't seem to have a strength issue in my hand or fingers but since I have small hands/fingers, stretching them for correct chording is a bit of a challenge. I also find I get pain in the wrist and elbow coz I can't seem to get the right "hold" ... but I'm working on that... just a matter of time I know.

I'm so looking forward to the day when I assemble my own ROCK BAND! :rotf: :rotf:

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet. Buy an electronic guitar tuner and tune your guitar every time you start playing or practicing. Also use it to check to make sure you're still in tune several times during your session. It's a lot easier to train your ear if the notes and chords you are playing sound like they are supposed to because the guitar's in tune.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet. Buy an electronic guitar tuner and tune your guitar every time you start playing or practicing. Also use it to check to make sure you're still in tune several times during your session. It's a lot easier to train your ear if the notes and chords you are playing sound like they are supposed to because the guitar's in tune.

Already got one... thanks.