dave_wells

Ingredients:

1 or 2 bottles rum........... Baking powder

1 cup Butter..................... 1 Tsp Soda

Lemon Juice................... Brown Sugar

1 cup Dried Fruit............ 1 Tsp Sugar

Nuts.............................. 2 Large Eggs

Method:

Before you start, sample the rum for quality. Good isn't it?

Now go ahead. Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup etc. Check the rum again. It must be just right. To be sure the rum is of the highest quality, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat. With an electric mixer, beat one cup of better in a large fluffy bowl, ass 1 seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure that rum is of the finest quality - try another cup. Open second bottle if necessary. Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit an beat till high. If druit gets stuck in beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriber. Sample the rum again, checking for tonscisticity. Next, sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn't matter which) Sample the rum again. Sift 1/4 pint of the lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add a babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever colour you can find. Mix well. Grease the oven and turn kate pan to 350 gredees. Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake. Check the rum again, and go to bed!!

** This ones good for parties **

Edited by Aussie Annie
spelling!!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bongo Bob's Cream Cheese Omlette

This has always been a favorite that has been enjoyed by many overnight guests here.

Eggs

Milk

Salt

Pepper

Vanilla Extract

Sugar

Nutmeg

Cinnamon

Cream Cheese

Preheat an omlette pan with either butter or olive oil. In a mixing bowel, start with 2 or 3 eggs per omlette and add a couple tablespoons worth of milk to make the omlette fluffy. Add a slight amount of salt andpepper for taste but not too much as this is supposed to be a sweet tasting omlette. Add a few drops of vanilla extract to enhance the egg flavor. Add a teaspoon or less of sugar (I use Splenda being diabetic). Pour the batter into the omlette pan and slice up some cream cheese and be generous about it. Place the sliced cream cheese onto half of the omlette so that you can carefully fold the other half on top of it when the time comes. While you are waiting for the other half to firm up so that you can fold it, sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg onto the cream cheese. Once folded, let the omlette fry a few seconds more so that the cream cheese just starts to flow to the edge then carefully slide it onto a plate. Serve with a large glass of milk or great cup of coffee. Enjoy!!!

Outlawrider, After you bottle it, you can drink it or save it for later. there's enough everclear in this to allow storage without refridgerating. the longer it sits, the more potent the peaches will get. I just reuse the apple juice or peach juice jugs. The reason I bottle it is that when I make the pie, I mix it in a stock pot, and don't want to store it in one.

6pak.

Dumb (rum) Balls

1 bottle Stroh 80 Rum

1 8oz pack of pecans or walnuts (I prefer pecans)

1 box of regular Nabisco Nilla Wafers (don't substitute)

1.5 Tbs molasses

1.5 Tbs clear Karo Corn syrup

Sifted powdered sugar

Finely chop the nuts and grind the Nilla wafers in a food processer.

In a cup mix the molasses, corn syrup, and 8oz of rum.

Add rum mix to nuts and Nilla crumbs in a mixing bowl.

Mix thoroughly , add more rum till a ball will just squeeze through your fingers when you squeeze some in your fist.

Roll into balls of about 3/4 inch diameter, (they should be a little soggy and hard to roll) immediately roll in powered sugar and place in a bowl that has a lid that seals. I always sift some powdered sugar into the container to keep the balls from sticking to the bottom. Once all of the balls are rolled, go back and give each of them a second coat of powered sugar. You can not get to much powered sugar on them.

Keep them sealed in the container or all of the good stuff will evaporate.

They do not need to be refrigerated but keeping them cool will preserve flavor and potency.

Avoid eating cookies and driving.

This recipe is world famous in the radio control Helicopter world.

Spiced Apple Pear Pie:

Dough:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon fine salt

3/4 cup cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), diced

1 large egg

3 to 4 tablespoons very cold water

Filling:

1/2 lemon

3 pounds baking apples, such as Golden Delicious, Cortland, or Mutsu (about 6 apples)

1 1/2 pounds baking pears, such as Bosc or firm Bartletts (about 3 pears)

2/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on the pie

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon fine salt

Generous pinch freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 large egg, beaten

Dough: Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Rub 1/4 cup of the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers until completely absorbed. Then rub in the remaining butter until it resembles cornmeal mixed with pea-size bits of butter. (If it gets warm and sticky, refrigerate it to chill.) Beat the egg with 3 tablespoons of the water; then drizzle it evenly over the dough. Lightly stir the dough together with a fork. (The dough should just hold together when you squeeze it together, with some dry crumbly bits.) If the dough is really dry, sprinkle it with the final tablespoon of water. (To make the dough in food processor, see below.) Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap and shape into disks. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. (The dough can be frozen for 2 months. Defrost dough in the fridge overnight.)

Filling: Finely grate the lemon zest and set aside. Peel, core and then slice both the apple and pear into 1/2-inch slices. Squeeze the lemon juice over the fruit, then toss fruit with the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fruit and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves and juices simmer, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until the fruit softens and the juices evaporate some, about 10 minutes. Evenly mix the flour into the fruit; then cook about a minute more to thicken the juices slightly. Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest; and remove from the heat. (The filling should resemble a tight compote.) Cool completely

Form the pie: Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Roll a disk of dough into an 11 to 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to 9-inch glass pie pan (see photo), trimming so it hangs about 1/2-inch over the edge of the pan. Fill the crust with the prepared fruit so it mounds slightly in the center. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Brush the rim of the crust with some of the egg.

Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and unroll it over the fruit so it hangs over the edge of the pie pan by about 1/2-inch. Trim crust if needed, reserving the scraps for decorations or for patching, if needed. Fold the top crust edge under the bottom one, then press the edges together to seal. Cut trimmed scraps into designs if desired and set aside. Flute the crust by pressing a finger into the crust against the other hand's index finger and thumb to make an even impression. Repeat every 1/2 inch around the pie to create a ruffled edge. Refrigerate the pie for at least 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a rack in the lower third of the oven and heat to 425 degrees F.

Brush pie with egg and place cut dough designs on top if desired. Brush again and sprinkle with sugar. Cut 6 to 8 small steam vents into the top of the dough. Place pie on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake until the crust (both top and bottom) is golden brown, about 50 minutes more. If the edges begin to brown too quickly, cut a pie shield out of a piece of aluminum foil and cover the edges. Cool on a rack.

Serve pie warm or at room temperature with whipped or ice cream. Keep pie, covered, at room temperature for a day, or refrigerate for up to four.

Cook's Note: This is the recipe I started with, I’ve added to it. If you don’t feel comfortable playing with the recipe you can use the recipe as it is. I add cloves (not too much they are strong) I also add more cinnamon, ginger and a smidgen more nutmeg. I don’t think the recipe has enough for the flavor you’ll want. Also I put about up to a cup of Rum in while I cook the filling. I use DonQ gold, if you don’t have that try any of the spice rums as long as it’s not clear. It doesn’t leave any taste in the fruit and no alcohol since it cooks out. What it does is kick up the flavors of the spices. Makes the color nicer for the filling as well. I also make the sugar to top the pie with cinnamon mixed in. Also I usually cheat and buy the pie crust. After peeling and chopping all those apples and pears it’s easier.

I’ve made this pie a few times and have changed it all the way through. This is the result. I don’t really measure so I can’t tell you exactly how much to use, so you can experiment.

This works with any white type Fish fillet

I usually serve on a bed of rice

I have made this several times and I always mix it up..

- Fish Fillets --- how ever many you need

- Horseradish sauce --- Cocktail Sauce woks well

- Mayonnaise

- Parmesan Cheese - optional

- Hot Sauce -- optional

Mix the Horseradish and mayo equal amounts

Mix in the parmesan cheese

Make enough to cover the fish

Cover the fish

1 - Bake at 350 for 15 min or till the fish is about done then broil till the top browns

2 - Broil fish till it flakes easy the remove cover with mixture and broil till it brown

Most of this is done to taste I like horseradish I will add more for my taste

Here is my recipie for my peperoni meat sticks....may use beef. venison, elk or any other wild game...this recipie is for 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of meat snacks....

INGREDIENTS....

1 to 1 1/2 lbs of meat..I use a 50/50 % mix of ground venison and pork (the more fat the better..venison can be dry)

1. 1 tbls crushed red pepper
  2. 1 tbls fennel seeds
  3. 1 tbls paprika
  4. 3/4 tbls mortons tender quick .....(per 1 1/2 lbs of meat used) ...(curing agent)... www.Mortonsalt (see online store)..... do not exceed unless you want your organs pickled...
  5. 1/8 tbls garlic powder...no more
  6. 1/2 tbls salt
  7. 1 tbls vegtable oil
  8. 2 tbls water
  9. natural hog casings for stuffing...sausage size about 1 1/4 inch around or you can use collagen casings

PREPERATION.....

grind meat in grinder (unless you purchased them ground already)....mix (in a plastic or stainless steel bowl) all above ingredients to your venison and pork mix....mixing by hand is a must ....make sure you get a good mix...once you have completed this , place you meat in a plastic 1 gallon freezer bag and remove all the air from the bag and seal...place in refridgerator to cure the meat for 18 to 24 hours.....

COOKING...........once the mixture has cured overnight...stuff the mixture into you cassings (with a sausage stuffer or grinder) and place ( across the wire) on wire rack into your preheated oven (300 degrees ) for approx. 1 hour.. you will want to place some aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to catch any drippings ..........also you do not want to have the stix touch each other during the cooking process....... use a meat thermometer to check the internal temp. of the peperoni.. you want to reach the internal temp. of 160 degrees.... you will notice the color to be a nice redish brown when cooked..... the meat will shrink to about 2/3 of the original size and be shriveled up some what.. remove snack stix from oven and let cool...keep refridgerated.....

NOTE TO ALL REAL MEN...this is a semi mild peperoni snack stix recipe...real men may want to double the crushed pepper and add some cayanne pepper to the mix..play with the recipie to customize it to your taste.....

Edited by BIG TOM

I had the best Founder / Horseradish sandwitch I have ever had while in Cape May NJ after my sons graduation.... man that was good......

This works with any white type Fish fillet

I usually serve on a bed of rice

I have made this several times and I always mix it up..

- Fish Fillets --- how ever many you need

- Horseradish sauce --- Cocktail Sauce woks well

- Mayonnaise

- Parmesan Cheese - optional

- Hot Sauce -- optional

Mix the Horseradish and mayo equal amounts

Mix in the parmesan cheese

Make enough to cover the fish

Cover the fish

1 - Bake at 350 for 15 min or till the fish is about done then broil till the top browns

2 - Broil fish till it flakes easy the remove cover with mixture and broil till it brown

Most of this is done to taste I like horseradish I will add more for my taste

Best eaten chilled.....been making it for years :smile5:

Mississippi Mud

4 eggs 1 cup (packed) flaked coconut

2 cups sugar ½ cup chopped pecans

1 cup butter, melted 1 cup chopped walnuts

1-½ cups flour 2-7 oz jars of marshmallow

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder creme

1 tsp. vanilla extract. (the real stuff)

Levee Frosting, see below

Levee Frosting: 6 tbls milk

½ cup butter, melted 1 (1 lb) box powdered

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder confectioners sugar, 4 cups

1-tsp vanilla extract.

Blend all frosting ingredients in a medium bowl.

Grease and flour a 13x 9 baking pan; set aside. Preheat oven to 350deg F. In a large mixer bowl, beat eggs until thick. Gradually beat in sugar. Combine melted butter with flour, cocoa, vanilla, coconut and pecans. Add to egg-sugar mixture. Stir well with a spoon. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes or until done. Remove from oven. Immediately spread marshmallow crème gently on surface of cake. Prepare Levee Frosting. Spread frosting gently over warm marshmallow crème, swirling to give a marbled effect. Sprinkle nuts over top if desired. I usually use walnut halves added to the top.

Bone Appetite’

I usually double the ingredients and make it at least 4 layer...

LASAGNA

1 LB SWEET OR HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGES

2 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF (CHUCK)

1 GARLIC CLOVE, MINCED

2 16 OZ CANS OF ITALIAN STYLE TOMATOES OR CRUSHED TOMATOES

4 6 OZ CANS OF TOMATO PASTE

¼ CUP CHOPPED PARSLEY

2 TBLS CHOPPED FRESH OR 1 TSP DRIED BASIL

4 ½ TSP SALT

1 ½ TSP SUGAR

1 TSP COARSE GROUND PEPPER

½ TSP OREGANO LEAVES

1 16 OZ PACKAGE LASAGNA NOODLES

1 TBLS OLIVE OIL

3 EGGS

2 15 OZ CONTAINERS OF WHOLE MILK RICOTTA CHEESE

4 8 OZ PACKAGES OF WHOLE MILK MOZZARELLA CHEESE

PREP:

• IN A LARGE POT OVER MEDIUM HEAT, COOK SAUSAGES UNTIL WELL BROWNED, ABOUT 15 MIN. REMOVE SAUSAGES; COOL SLIGHTLY; CUT INTO ¼” SLICES.
  • POUR FAT FROM POT; DISCARD. IN SAME POT COOK GROUND BEEF AND GARLIC, STIRRING FREQUENTLY, UNTIL MEAT IS BROWNED. ADD TOMATOES AND THEIR LIQUID AND NEXT 7 INGREDIENTS; OVER HIGH HEAT, HEAT TO BOILING. REDUCE HEAT TO LOW; SIMMER ABOUT 25 MIN, STIRRING FREQUENTLY UNTIL SAUCE IS SLIGHTLY THICKENED.
  • MEANWHILE, COOK LASAGNA NOODLES WITH A TBLS OLIVE OIL IN WATER, DRAIN. IN MEDIUM BOWL, WITH FORK, BEAT EGGS, ADD RICOTTA CHEESE AND WITH MIXER, BLEND TOGETHER.
  • PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F. GREASE TWO DEEP 13”X9” BAKING PANS. THINLY SLICE MOZZERELLA CHEESE. INTO EACH PAN, SPOON ABOUT 1 CUP TOMATO SAUCE; ARRANGE 1 LAYER OF NOODLES, SPOON ON SOME SAUCE, FOLLOWED BY A LAYER OF RICOTTA CHEESE, FOLLOWED BYMOZZERELLA SLICES; REPEAT LAYERS ONCE. TPO LAYERS WITH REMAINING NOODLES AND SAUCE AND COVER WITH MOZZERELLA SLICES. COVER WITH FOIL AND BAKE FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR OR UNTIL HOT AND BUBBLY. LET SIT FOR 15 MIN TO FIRM UP. SERVE

This is killer.......:smile5:

· 1 1/2 cup milk

· 1 1/2 cup heavy cream

· 1/2 cup imported parmesan cheese, grated

· 1/2 cup imported romano cheese, grated

· 6 egg yolks from fresh jumbo eggs

· salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat milk and cream in a heavy bottom saucepan until it begins to simmer.

2. Turn off heat.

3. Slowly whip in cheese, then remove from heat.

4. Place egg yolks in a separate bowl and slowly whip in a portion of the hot milk and cream mixture.

5. Slowly add egg mixture back into remaining cream mixture.

6. Place back on very low heat and continually stir until simmering.

7. Take sauce off heat so it thickens.

8. (This will increase temperature of egg yolks, known as tempering.)

9. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

10. Serve over your favorite pasta.

I had the best Founder / Horseradish sandwitch I have ever had while in Cape May NJ after my sons graduation.... man that was good......

I moved from Long Island to Ohio

I don't miss much

I do miss the fishing I used to getting out either the Cold Spring Harbor area for Bluefish

and Bass the South shore around the bridges for Fluke and way out to Mattituck inlet for porgies

Fresh fish make all the difference

I did go up to the UPPER MI and had some fresh white fish broiled that was good

Now I'm hungry :doh: