IGNORED

Modern Day 1st Gen

In the 80's we had a great choice when it came to tour bikes. Every maker had one and the powertrains were all different. Now all we have is Harleys and Harley clones. I like the 1st Gen because of the luxuries with sport-tour handling. I didn't think there was really a replacement. I stand corrected.

In the 80's we had a great choice when it came to tour bikes. Every maker had one and the powertrains were all different. Now all we have is Harleys and Harley clones. I like the 1st Gen because of the luxuries with sport-tour handling. I didn't think there was really a replacement. I stand corrected.

Hmmm... Seems like there are lots of choices. Second Gen RSV is NOT a Harley clone due to the V-4 rather than V-twin. Wing is certainly not a Harley clone. Voyager probably could be a Harley clone, although from what I've read it's a far superior power train with all the modern bells and whistles. If you want sporty, the Kaw Concours 14 sounds like a sweet ride. Yamaha's FJR can also be set up for touring. I'm sure I've missed several others. Like I said... seems to be lots of Non-Harley choices.

Hmmm... Seems like there are lots of choices. Second Gen RSV is NOT a Harley clone due to the V-4 rather than V-twin. Wing is certainly not a Harley clone. Voyager probably could be a Harley clone, although from what I've read it's a far superior power train with all the modern bells and whistles. If you want sporty, the Kaw Concours 14 sounds like a sweet ride. Yamaha's FJR can also be set up for touring. I'm sure I've missed several others. Like I said... seems to be lots of Non-Harley choices.

Saying the gen 2 is not a harley clone is just denial. They look incredibly alike. Obviously it was supposed to look like the Harley because the Harley has looked like that for 30 years. Look at the fake cooling fins on the gen 2 motor. Why do you suppose they are there?

Saying the gen 2 is not a harley clone is just denial. They look incredibly alike. Obviously it was supposed to look like the Harley because the Harley has looked like that for 30 years. Look at the fake cooling fins on the gen 2 motor. Why do you suppose they are there?

With that logic the 1st gen is a Goldwing clone, they are making bikes today that people want. Yamaha made the G2 to be a cruiser style as folks were buying Harley's, it's marketing plain and simple. BMW is a nice bike, with a HEALTHY price tag, ride what you like and whats comfortable for you. I have a H/D and even though it's a cruiser style the RSV is way more comfortable for me

:2cents:

Please re-read the original post. He is saying there is not enough choice in powertrains. He doesn't say anything about looks. The RSV has a completely different powertrain than the Harley V-twin. (and runs circles around them in performance)

Please re-read the original post. He is saying there is not enough choice in powertrains. He doesn't say anything about looks. The RSV has a completely different powertrain than the Harley V-twin. (and runs circles around them in performance)

Oops. I guess I should have said re-read YOUR original post.

I own an 86 Venture and the BMW K1200LT. Both are great bikes but I will have to admit that the BMW has a slight edge on the handling capabilities. I like the heated grips and seats also.

How about power with two up? What do you like better? The reason I'm asking is there are some nice used 1200LT's out there at a good price.

Take a look at the Yamaha Fjr1300. I tried the Honda, the BMW and will be getting a FJR simply for two reasons...

1 - The wife feels comfortable on it and when I add an aftermarket trunk I get the storage I need with it's saddle bags.

2 - It's ungodly fast. As in a well tuned and perfect running 1983 fast with a 80 pound driver and an extra 200 pounds cut off it. Two up we ate a BMW KT1200 for lunch without much effort, and he was riding single. it also pulls a trailer very nice, as good as my 83 does.

A friend of mine let my wife and I swap bikes with him for a week, with handelbar risers and a corrected windscreen it works well and is comfortable to ride for 4 hours with the stock seat. We are putting a 2nd gen radio/intercom/CB on his FJR this winter as it fits nicely with some work and looks stock.

Plus with Yamaha Dealers are desperate to sell bikes, I can get one new off the showroom floor with ABS for under $11,000 new. BMW cant touch that. You can buy a ton of farkles as well as heated grips and a heated corbin seat plus gas for 5 years for the price difference. Also maintaince costs are way low. Honda's version has pricey parts, and BMW parts... well we all know how that goes.

I bought a '92 VR from a guy that had replaced it with the same BMW as in the first post.

But I too will be heading back to my Yamaha dealer for my FJR (hopefully this coming spring) when I get ready to replace my VR. These are damn impressive motorcycles IMO...and cost is a factor for me too. Pay less for a superior product???...count me in! (kinda curious that I have a H-D too, huh??) :think:

How about power with two up? What do you like better? The reason I'm asking is there are some nice used 1200LT's out there at a good price.

If you will price the K1200LT it is cheaper than the Goldwing. I bought a 99 model with 15000 miles for $6200.00 and love it. I think the new ones are going for about $21,000.00 which is much cheaper than the Goldwings. It has plenty of power, seems to have more than the Venture on the low end but I think the Venture will beat it on the upper end but the big difference is that the BMW has 2 overdrive gears. It also gets 50 mpg 2 up consistently and is fuel injected. I will not get rid of my Venture but will ride the BMW not on long trips.

I am looking at the BMW LT also. The Wing is great, but 30 something MPG is just not good enough. BMW does much better.

My '86 VR is wonderful, and yes, it is a Gold Wing clone from that time period.

The RSV is and has been a Harley clone, but that isn't a bad thing, it is just a thing. Obviously made to look like a V-twin. Beats the Harley in many ways, and if some want to think it was made to be like something else, then great. I have not owned and RSV, but took a new one for a decent ride, and was impressed, much like my VR, and why shouldn't it be like that bike, running gear is almost the same. That is a good thing.

Personally I don't like the Harley look, wish Yamaha would go back to something closer to the VR, don't think I will get that wish, but I am glad we do have some choices.

Take a look at the Yamaha Fjr1300. I tried the Honda, the BMW and will be getting a FJR simply for two reasons...

1 - The wife feels comfortable on it and when I add an aftermarket trunk I get the storage I need with it's saddle bags.

2 - It's ungodly fast. As in a well tuned and perfect running 1983 fast with a 80 pound driver and an extra 200 pounds cut off it. Two up we ate a BMW KT1200 for lunch without much effort, and he was riding single. it also pulls a trailer very nice, as good as my 83 does.

A friend of mine let my wife and I swap bikes with him for a week, with handelbar risers and a corrected windscreen it works well and is comfortable to ride for 4 hours with the stock seat. We are putting a 2nd gen radio/intercom/CB on his FJR this winter as it fits nicely with some work and looks stock.

yeah, but why doesn't it come WITH cruise and the radio??? Surely there is a market for this. It really bugs me that I can't find a 1st gen replacement (ST1300, FJR1300) WITH the long distance necessities.

yeah, but why doesn't it come WITH cruise and the radio??? Surely there is a market for this. It really bugs me that I can't find a 1st gen replacement (ST1300, FJR1300) WITH the long distance necessities.

Because most of the new youngsters dont use CB at all, they use FRS. Plus they use bluetooth helmets with their ipods and cellphones so honestly it's not needed at all to put it on the bike. I was ableto get him a deal of the whole radio setup from a 2nd gen for $100.00 and figured we could shoehorn it in. I found a bluetooth setup that will let you talk to other riders that works great.

Honestly when I buy my FJR, I'm going all bluetooth. it's far better in every way and no wires is great when the wife forgets to unplug and get off the bike snapping the connector on the trunk side. I dont want a Cd player, I want my mp3 tunes from my iPhone and bluetooth intercom to my wife. or listen to the XM radio in my Bluetooth GPS.

honestly with today's technology, the stereo in the bike is not needed at all.

As for Cruise control... I agree. any decent bike should come with a real speed controlled cruise control. for some reason the bike makers think that nobody wants a cruise control

Being adverse to some new technology, I have a question. Can you use the bluetooth technology to talk between bikes on a ride, bikes apart by as much as 1/2 a mile or more? I was under the impression that it was very short range technology.

I need a system that will let me talk from the lead to the tail of a long line of bikes from time to time. Also if bikes get separated by some distance. CB still does the job for me. Handling wires is just something to get used to.

Plus, I like being able to talk to truckers or get road info that is going to be more up to date than any GPS.

Being adverse to some new technology, I have a question. Can you use the bluetooth technology to talk between bikes on a ride, bikes apart by as much as 1/2 a mile or more? I was under the impression that it was very short range technology.

I need a system that will let me talk from the lead to the tail of a long line of bikes from time to time. Also if bikes get separated by some distance. CB still does the job for me. Handling wires is just something to get used to.

Plus, I like being able to talk to truckers or get road info that is going to be more up to date than any GPS.

Yes you can communicate with people on other bikes as well as your own passenger. Bluetooth is supposed to only have a range for 30' but I've found it is actually much better then that, probably more like 60'. CB does have a much longer range and you can talk to truckers. But let's face it, it's obsolete. With the new hands free laws, truckers won't be useing it for much longer.

What would be nice to see is the stereo and CB in the bike incorperate bluetooth technology. By this I mean if you have a bluetooth helmet. You should be able to listen to music or talk on the CB as well as a phone, through the helmet. Best of both worlds. But keep the speakers on the bike of course for the open face helmet on hot days.

Distracted driving laws probably aren't going to say much about CB. For some reason talking on a CB or even an FRS isn't nearly as distracting as talking on a Phone, and certainly not anything like texting!

Truckers are unlikely to give up CB for something with such short range as Bluetooth, although FRS has lots of uses but that won't be much good unless the industry in general goes with it.

Truckers are a lot like Audiophiles, and techie types, they love their CB's and love messing with them. My son drives, and I have had a CB in all my vehicles since the 70's.

Agreed. I think it's going to be hard for police to stop truckers from using CB. And I also agree that they are nowhere near as distracting as cell phone. After all truckers are professional drivers that have much more driving skills then the average Joe. But the new law (in Ontario anyway) is written as "No hand held communication devices".

I would like to see the CB survive but it's only a matter of time til' they go the way of the 8 track. Unless they modernize it. Carry CB frequencies and FRS frequencies plus make it bluetooth compatible.