IGNORED

The Virago project

Dragonslayer

Karren had one and it had turned a bearing, I had the crank refinished back to stock, and the engine was very simple to tear down and reassemble.

Easy bike to work on, carbs can be trouble to pull though.

If you have any ignition problems, go for the controller, Karren would intermediately lose fire, everything checked good but I replaced the control module and the problems ceased.

gregg

The box of rocks starter thing only relates to 1st gen (83-84) Viragos and was fixed in the 2nd gens (85 +). The best fix for the 1st gen is to replace the left case and put a 2nd gen starter in. The clip fix seem to be problematic and may or may not work very well or for very long.

Karren had one and it had turned a bearing, I had the crank refinished back to stock, and the engine was very simple to tear down and reassemble.

Easy bike to work on, carbs can be trouble to pull though.

If you have any ignition problems, go for the controller, Karren would intermediately lose fire, everything checked good but I replaced the control module and the problems ceased.

gregg

Does the controller develope cold solder joints like the ventures do and can they be fixed in the same way?

Don't be overly alarmed at the 'box of rocks' from the starter. Sounds awful, but continues to work. There is a kit available to repair it that adds a washer or something. I didn't do it with mine and never had any trouble. Great bike.

RR

Yea I had noticed that and was concerned. So, your saying thats normal for these bikes. Do you have any info on the mod kit to fix that?

There were some problems with cold solder joints on the TCI, and a guy that refurbishes them. Starter fix is easy check on the viragotech site for instructions. Carb pilot jet 2-2 1/2 turns. My first mods were to take out the AIS, re-jet and after market air box. Have fun Rod

There were some problems with cold solder joints on the TCI, and a guy that refurbishes them. Starter fix is easy check on the viragotech site for instructions. Carb pilot jet 2-2 1/2 turns. My first mods were to take out the AIS, re-jet and after market air box. Have fun Rod

What it's doing is it will crank and run, with box of rocks in starter, If you hold starter button too long the starter will quit and you have to turn the key on and off to reset it so starter button will work again.

It will run for a few minutes if you nurse the throttle but then it will choke out.

after a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...