IGNORED

Please reconsider my starter problem

i think you need to replace the starter and be done. i had one that would test ok off the bike but under load on the bike it would drag :bang head:. replaced it with a new starter off ebay (that in your first post i told you can get for $91.oo) and no more draging starter. worked for me. these starters are in the vmax parts on ebay for more info go to post #6 in you first post.

Edited by cap'n eddie

Yah!! Now that we have established that your battery is OK under load, now I'm thinking brushes in the starter. With no mechanical load, i.e. bench test, the starter will work OK but with a load, or installed, the extra load will cause more current loss across the brushes resulting in less actual voltage to the starter windings resulting in slow turnover...

Get a 4 brush starter out of a vmax, etc.

Yah!! Now that we have established that your battery is OK under load, now I'm thinking brushes in the starter. With no mechanical load, i.e. bench test, the starter will work OK but with a load, or installed, the extra load will cause more current loss across the brushes resulting in less actual voltage to the starter windings resulting in slow turnover...

Get a 4 brush starter out of a vmax, etc.

Here's where I'm at...... last night I got a 68 ford falcon solenoid hooked it up good solenoid starter still drags. Took starter back off and opened it. even though I had removed starter and cleaned it up a couple of days ago communicator and brushes were badly carboned up again. Starter had a burnt wire smell and contact points I inspected looked questionable. So at this point I'm betting bad starter/windings/communicator/armature or brushes or combination. So I think I'll go back to earlier post and get new 4 brush vmax starter. will all of the vmax starters work or is there a specific year model range that will work or not work.

So, I'm evidently I'm done for the day on this project until I get new starter. So for now I'm gonna get back on the Virago project and see if I can get something accomplished.

So I think I'll go back to earlier post and get new 4 brush vmax starter. will all of the vmax starters work or is there a specific year model range that will work or not work.

By looking at this page, I would think that all will fit. Check the fitment tab, on the page.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=ZIBDFTOLPFBQNLA0WTVSM4VMDK0NCIV0?skuId=208604&store=Main&catId=&productId=p501465&leafCatId=&mmyId=16017#fitment

:080402gudl_prv: :canada:

If all else fails, jump and bring it to Col. Pooles. From there - if it won't turn over, we'll push it off.

That's cold, I could jump it off down my driveway then when I get to Col. Pooles you can jump me off to get it home. No Thanks it's too wet to ride today anyway, even if I could.

Thanks that helped but his price $213 there are several new vmax starters listed for $91.95 on ebay

Starter brushes pass a LOT of current so the "electrical smell" is fairly normal. Have you checked the ground link inside the starter? Unless the magnets have baked or broke, most of these problems can be traced to the brushes, bushings or brush plate grounding problems.

Have you checked the brush plate ground point? There were a couple mentions of this repair but I'll be darned if I find them easily...

I still think the extra "capacity" of the car battery pointed to resistance in the starter system... brushes, bushings or brush plate grounding.

I went ahead and ordered a new starter from one of the ebay dealers and am patiently awaiting it's arrival. The only downside it was advertised as a Vmax starter but after talking to the dealer it is not a 4 brush starter and is the 2 brush version. But, it is new and I could not find a 4 brush. So, hopefully it will show up today. I'm getting antsy since it prime leaf season down here with perfect riding weather. I don't know how much longer the weather will last.

The mailman came and went no starter. So I got busy working on the Virago project. At around 2:00 I looked out the front door to find the starter box sitting there. Evidently UPS came and went and dropped off what I had been waiting for. When I opened the box and compared the new starter to the old It was not an exact match.:doh: The center housing was about 3/8" shorter than the one on the old starter. I went ahead and tried to bolt it up and it did bolt up with the starter gear messing up perfectly.:thumbsup2: I went ahead and hooked it up to give it a quick bump test and it ran perfectly with no dragging starter...... finally:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::banana::cool10: Problem solved.

FYI and for future information the late 60's model Ford solenoid did not work. no matter how I hooked up the 12 control terminals it would either engage all the time or not at all. Thank goodness the old Yamaha solenoid as still good and worked fine.

Thanks to all of you that responded and helped my through this problem. I could not have done it without you. Ya'll are a great bunch and as always this is a great forum.:thumbsup2:

I have seen starters (not motorcycle) give the grief you are talking about and found the dragging was caused by the bushings at either end getting worn and letting the armature contact the fields. The starter then draws mega power to turn it over under load. I would suspect the bushing next the drive gear is the culprit. It doesn't take much wear if the clearance between the armature and fields are very close.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...