IGNORED

how do they compare

irydasteelhorse

As far as pulling a trailer most of the guys that do will tell you either one is fine with a trailer behind it. Whether you're riding solo or 2 up. As far as the comfort part they are two different bikes. It's all gonna depend on how you like to sit on a bike. As far as speed is concerned they both can go pretty well, but the fastest venture is the 83 which was the first one. Of course that also depends on how fast you really want to go. If you're looking to see which is better for you, I'd advise seeing if you can try out a few.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure the guys will let you know some more stuff.

Margaret

the first gen was quicker and carved the turns better than the 2nd gen

the 2nd gen has much more leg room and passenger room than the first gen.

I'm 6'6'' 275 and 38 inch inseam, so the 2nd gen has much more room for me and a passenger, however i sure miss the 1st gen when i get into the twisties.

the 1st gens had more lights and gizmoes available from yamaha and ventureline and markland

the 2nd gen looks more like a motorcycle and less like a goldwing or a tupperware bike as many have called it.

they both tow a trailer without any concern.

mike

They pretty much covered it all. I had an '83, and still miss it every day. :crying:I have a framed photo of it in my office. Great power and agility, plus it was the Black Cherry, loaded with chrome and looked super with the clamshell bags and slightly upswept pipes. I currently have an '88VR and an '03 RSMV. The '88 feels pretty nimble for a big bike, too, and I have always felt comfortable manuvering it in most any circumstances and have carved up some pretty mean roads with it. The pegs being below the rider and the seating position seem to make the 1st gen bike feel somewhat more like a sport / touring bike. The 2nd gen feels like a touring / cruiser to me. I always have felt like going through curves with the 1st gens was like "neck reining" a horse, while you tend to muscle the 2nd gens. Maybe it's the bigger tires, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, that's my opinion, and you know what they say about those...:whistling:

To add my opinion with 1rooster's format:

As for power... My '83 was much quicker, and I think the '88 is stronger than the '03

Comfort..2nd gen hands down. Absolutely. Much better seating with forward controls.

Trailer..Don't know yet, haven't towed with the 2nd gen, but the first towed very well.

Handling..First Gen all the way. It felt close to a sport bike set up, especially the '83. The 2nd gen not so much, a totally different animal.

Touring 2up....2nd gen for me, too. Just more room and more comfortable position with the forward controls.

You can't lose either way with these bikes...

good evening all

i'm a new member to the site likewise to the venture i now own a 1999 venture and loving every min of it so far i have yet to take a long trip, but i know it's going to be great!

i'm a yamaha man i also own a 2004 1700 road star wow we need not say more!

however i wanted something me and my wife could ride in comfort so i stuck with what i know. "YAMAHA"

I own both styles now and both are great bikes. The First Gens are more of a sport bike. Great performance and great handling. Still a very comfortable bike, but not as much room as the Second Gen. The Second Gens has very good performance, just not as much as the First Gens. The Second Gens are a large comfort creature with plenty of room for the rider and passenger. :2cents:

I've had an 83 Royal and 89 Royal, a 05 Midnight and now a 07 two tone blue.

Loved them all. The 83 was the fastest and had the most comfortable stock seat. I also learned never to buy a first year production anything. I did have problems with the stator and the coolant impeller. The 83 was brandy new when I got her.

The foot under style is not for me anymore. Too hard on my knees. I have towed a trailer with both style of bikes. No issues with either.

To me the first gens are a style of their own and drive a little like a sport tourer. The laid back position of the RSV is more my style now and I love it.

I've had an '85, an '87, and now an '06

The '85 was better in the twisties and was solid to over 200 km/h

The '87 had more power but I think it had a vmax rear end. It didn't handle as good as the '85

I liked both bikes immensely while I had them

The '06 is great for long distance touring, 2 up ... very comfortable. Power is good but it sure doesn't handle like either of the other 2. Maybe when I change the tires, I'll change my statement but as it is now, there's no way I'd take the twisties like I did with my 1st gen's.

The 2nd gen doesn't handle wind as good as either of the 1st gen's...primarilly due to the "handle-bar" mounted fairing versus frame mounted.

Would I go back to a 1st gen? I really like their style but overall, I like the 2nd gen better so, no, I wouldn't...unless I had no other choice (ie, I couldn't afford the '06).