IGNORED

Transmission will not shift

I have a 06 midnight RSV that will only go in to first and not any other gear. I went to two dealers who have never seen this before. I was on the road and stopped for gas and that is when it happened. I pulled back on to the road and bike would not go un to second gear. I went to the local dealer where I was and he checked the linkage and did a basic look over and he determined the issue was internal. I also lost my head light and tail light but I do have blinkers and flashers. Anyone have this issue.

Thanks

Jeffers:mytruck1:

I have a 06 midnight RSV that will only go in to first and not any other gear. I went to two dealers who have never seen this before. I was on the road and stopped for gas and that is when it happened. I pulled back on to the road and bike would not go un to second gear. I went to the local dealer where I was and he checked the linkage and did a basic look over and he determined the issue was internal. I also lost my head light and tail light but I do have blinkers and flashers. Anyone have this issue.

Thanks

Jeffers:mytruck1:

I had a similar issue with my royal star. It was the "Y" fingers in the internal part of shifter....1 of them fell off, and jammed things up. It was about a 3 hour job if I remember right. Not sure about your tail-headlight issue, sounds like a fuse to me.

randy

I had a similar issue with my royal star. It was the "Y" fingers in the internal part of shifter....1 of them fell off, and jammed things up. It was about a 3 hour job if I remember right. Not sure about your tail-headlight issue, sounds like a fuse to me.

randy

I hope they got your bike fixed under warranty.

Any warning signs before this happened?

I broke down in pensacola and I live near orlando. I would need to go back to get the bike in a week or so and i still need to get home. I rented a u-haul and brought it home. I dropped it at the local dealer and they had never had an issue like this. The dealer suggested i ask the question on here. I will let everyone know the results when it is fixed. The bike is under warranty for sure that will help.

thanks

:fingers-crossed-emo

You have a smart dealer. Lucky man.

RR

A Yamaha dealer asking for repair advice from a forum...... i would be looking for another dealer/repair facility. it's not that i don't believe this forum is invaluable but i would expect a dealer to do his own research. just my opinion...

anyway the "y" fork as mentioned above gets my vote :-)

I went to the local dealer where I was and he checked the linkage and did a basic look over and he determined the issue was internal.

Thanks

Jeffers

Sounds like it would have been one of the shift dowel pins inside of the clutch housing, if it was a 1st gen. But it's 2nd gen, with an updated part in that area, so it should not of dropped the pin for 2nd gear, if the entire part loosened off ( due to center retention screw), it may possibly cause the shift errors. I think that should be the first area to look, before tearing into it too deeply.

:2cents: