IGNORED

Did I kill her?

So i drained the battery the other day by leaving it on

Today I tried one of those jump starters that plugs into the wall. Heard some popping and it didn't turn over. But the popping didn't sound good.

Does that thing put out too much amperage? Did I kill it?

How much is this going to cost??? :bawling::bawling:

I guess it's time to send the seat to rick since I may not be riding a while...

Charging now. Where are fuses? Lower right fairings ? Near right foot?

There is a fuse box in the cowling near your right foot and also behind the left colored panel under the seat (in front of the left passenger floorboard).

The 30A Main fuse is behind the panel that the passenger floorboard bolts into.

And to answer your question, I would say the absolute worst case is that you have to replace the battery... I got mine (interstate) from sam's club (AGM Type) for ~$50-60 (I dont' remember exactly)

After the charger reads fully charge (or you allow it to charge for the appropriate time) do a terminal voltage check then a test with some load (ie hook it up to your bike and turn the key on then read the voltage) and see what the difference is. A good battery will not drop below ~10V or so. If that all checks out, press the good 'ol start button and go for a descent ride :) :thumbsup2:

There is some danger in trying to run a vehicle on a bad battery and I won't go into that unless you (or someone) wants more details...

Good luck!! (I'm sure it will be fine though)

Rob,

Glad to hear you got the bike going again, but I want to put in this disclaimer. I dont know how old the battery is, but if it's more than about 3 years, you might want to seriously think about replacing it. Ventures are very hard on batteries and by draining the one in your bike to absolute dead may have taken some of it's life away. This is just a precautionary statement, I'm not saying that you will have problems, but be prepared if the bike gives you some starting issues :2cents:

The popping you heard was probably a bad connection either on the battery or the jump starter you were using. If the connection isn't good the electricity will ark and spark sometimes causing a "PoPing noise. Then it usually won't work unless you reseat the connection. Just my thoughts.

Glad you got it started, but I would replace the battery especially heading into Winter. At the very least keep a trickle charge on it.

+1 to replacing the battery.

If you do not know how old it is and plan on taking any long rides that you might be far away from anything and need/want to turn it off (ie. for fuel or sight seeing) then it would be (in my opinion) wise to go ahead and replace it.

These things are a bear to run/push it up to speed and pop the clutch (don't ask how I figured this one out) :scorched: