IGNORED

New Member introduction and questions.

sleepcheater

Before buying a lower seat, give the butt butler a call! He's a member here, you can find him in the classifieds. he reworks seats, is very reasonable, excellent work, and great to do business with. I'm inseam impaired and he lowered my seat and I just love it. Give him a try you won't be dissapointed!

Welcome Sleepcheater,

I have a very similar story, except I weigh a lot more than a rear tire, maybe a dozen of them? LOL

I would make one BIG change to some of the advice. Do NOT go out alone for your first rides. Don't do a huge group ride either, get a couple friends that have ridden for a while and have them help you in some initial stuff, and have them there for your first highway ride, they don't have to be real close, just close enough to help if you do go down. Keep it slow, keep it on empty roads and you will do fine.

I bought my '86 VR (looks a lot like yours) about 4 years ago after 25 years off a bike. My last one was a Honda 750 SuperSport 4 cyl. Big bike for then, but not for now! :)

I can't really flat foot it either when sitting on the seat, so don't hesitate to slide a little forward or just stand up at a stop till you are secure, then if the road is level, you can lean a tiny bit and flat foot with your left foot, and h ave your right to hold the foot brake so you have both hands for taking off.

cutting the seat foam down a little will help and I agree that you may want to go back to the stock pegs for a while so you have more room for your legs when stopped.

I putted around in my driveway a little, then with two friends I met here, went out for a couple short rides. they were also along for my first long ride, and from then on it was no problem.

I did lay mine down a couple times, once when moving it around in the garage, and once with my wife on it (no harm, no hurt) but if you know the technique, you can get it back up yourself, or just wait for a little help. The red face only lasts till you get going again, then the grin comes back.

My bike intimidated me for only a short while, now I love it and it is easy to ride, and turn.

Don't worry about the braided brake lines, if yours are not cracked, the braided lines aren't necessary, just a minor upgrade. My brakes with stock (probably original) lines work just fine, even in emergency stops. IT is more important to have fresh fluid and keep them bled properly, do the line upgrade if you want to or if the lines have cracks. Check the pads though, to make sure they have some thickness (bike pads aren't as thick as car pads so don't replace them till they get real thin!).

Chances are your bike has been stored indoors properly, and won't need any major work, but check it over carefully for age wear, especially on the tires. My tires were 13 years old! and I rode on them for almost 3 years before they started getting cracks, and I just replaced them. Probably should have done that sooner, but I kept a close eye on them. the new tires are nice. I went with Dunlop Elite 3's, and love them.

Good luck.

Don't worry about the braided brake lines, if yours are not cracked, the braided lines aren't necessary, just a minor upgrade.

Good luck.

B.S. Did you do any braking comparison, of the stock lines & calipers, to the braided lines with the same calipers?????

The braided lines are a huge upgrade, compared to the OEM lines, all force goes to the pistons & not diminished by expanding the lines. Seeing that we are basically off the scoots due to snow, until April / May of next year, perfect time to do it. It about the same for the stopping power increase, as converting to Mk2 lower tubes & installing R1 brake calipers (4 piston). I am still kicking myself, for not doing it sooner, than I did...... :2cents:

The $ exchange rate is getting better again, to get any parts needed out of the USA. :thumbsup2:

One thing to remember when you start riding with your freinds is to ride your own ride. A lot of people get in trouble by trying to keep with there buddies. They would rather wait at the next intersection than go back a scrape you off the hyway.

+1 on riding your own ride. Try to keep up with folks who've been riding all along and the odds of a crash go WAY up. ALWAYS "Ride your own ride". Also, remember that the folks in cages are all homicidal maniacs whose SOLE purpose is to KILL you... The only reason they don't succeed is that they CAN'T SEE you!! Remember that and ride accordingly and you'll be fine:innocent:

Also, an MSF course, or the equivalent will be a BIG help. Good luck and RIDE SAFE!