IGNORED

Remember Danny Kaye?

SilvrT

Very few great entertainers who can do physical comedy, standup, dance, sing and all around entertain are around today. Danny Kaye is right up there with many of my favorites. It is, however, a close to creepy resemblence to Polanski...wow!

Teri of Pakidaho

Anyone remember Danny Kaye?

Here's a few pics ... talk about his double (Roman Polanski) or what? When I saw the story about Roman Polanski in the paper today I just couldn't help think.. "Danny Kaye".

What a great actor/comedian he was!

Well, at least the resemblance is only physical. Definitely can't compare them in any other way.

Actually you can ... Polanski was an actor and is a big name in the film industry so in essence, they both worked in the same industry and probably crossed paths at least once.

Yep, I remember him. It seems the performers in that era had to be much more rounded than today. They had to be able to do stand up comedy, sing, dance, do drama, etc. I think it is because they all started out on the stage and had to be adaptable.

Remember Jimmy Durante? Another great performer. Remember his closing line "Good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are." Nobody knew what it meant untill he retired. He finaly told the story. When he was a young performer doing stage acts and struggling to make it he rented a room from Mr. and Mrs. Calabash. Coming home from the theater one night he overheard Mrs. Calabash say to Mr. Calabash " B****j**! You will get a b***j** when that skinny kid upstairs appears on TV." Ergo the closing line in all his TV shows.

!

Actually you can ... Polanski was an actor and is a big name in the film industry so in essence, they both worked in the same industry and probably crossed paths at least once.

I was actually referring to the fact that one was a well loved entertainer and a pretty decent human being... and the other was a child molester. :stirthepot:

Although I liked Danny Kaye, I identify more with Foster Brooks....

He told a funny story about himself on Carson one night. He said when he wanted to have some fun he would go into a bar "in character" and ask the bartender for a glass of water so he could take a tablet. He would then take a pill of some sort in front of the bartender and then go to the restroom. He would walk back to the bar a couple of minutes later stone sober to the amazement of the bartender. He then explained that it was a pill he had developed to counteract the alcohol in his system. LoL The bartenders thought they were about to get rich by getting in on the ground floor!

What was most amazing... very few of them recognized him.

Danny Kaye was one of my heros as I was growing up. I had taken up the trumpet and then saw this movie called the Five Pennies starring Danny Kaye.

I recently got a copy of it and it is just as good today as it was then. Features some really good music too.

Yes, he might resemble the child molester, but that is the end of the resemblance. So many of our hero's are getting their lives exposed (Mama's and Papa's founder John Phillips is just the most recent) in a bad way that if someone knows dirt on Danny, please just let it lie, I want to watch that movie and think good thoughts! :)

Although I liked Danny Kaye, I identify more with Foster Brooks....

I just watched this vid with foster Brooks... oh man, the tears were rollin from laffin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8L-ZZSc8JU]YouTube - Drunk Airline Pilot - Dean Martin & Foster Brooks[/ame]

Yes Foster Brooks was an really funny guy. Of course, with Dean Martin it was just even funnier. Wow those were such wonderful days for entertainment. Sad to think it is all gone now.

I think I recall Danny Kaye worked with the UNICEF charity. I remember when I was in elementary school giving pennies UNICEF.

Yama Mama

My favorite Danny Kaye bit was in The Court Jester. The poison pill in the wine glass crack me up everytime i see it!

Other funny people not mentioned yet:

Carol Burnett Show - The whole cast was great. Doreen & I saw Viki Lawarence (Mama) last spring and I hurt for three days from laughing.

Jackie Gleason

Martin & Lewis

The Marx Brothers

Laurel & Hardy

Abbot & Costello

George Goeble

Bob Newhart

Flip Wilson

And the list could go on for days.

Dave