IGNORED

I need an electrican to help me

mini-muffin

OK I need an electrician to help me out here. Half the house is out of power. I already changed the main fuses for the house. There's two of them and their the long round solid ones. I can get pics if you guys need them to understand what I'm talking about. The problem seems to be in one of the fuses. Everytime I try changing it, it pops. First time it did it was a bit of a shock to me. I was hoping that it would be ok. I have to go around and make sure I unplugged everything in those rooms. That's gonna take a bit since I have to crawl under the bed in the spare room with a flashlight and get the stuff out under it to get to the outlet. I've gotten most of the stuff unplugged. I need to know what else to do. Can the socket for the fuse go bad? If so I can get another one, I think. I'll check the local places for that stuff. Actually I'll add the pics of what the fuses look like while I'm doing this now. The first one is one of the main fuses it has two. The second is one of the fuse type that keeps blowing on me. It's a 20amp.

Oh I already tried picking Riderdukes brain. He's gonna think a bit more on this for me too.

Thanks guys I appreciate this.

Margaret

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The orange fuse is called a fustat, 20 amp. If you just keep blowing fuses after you've unplugged every thing that you can find, I don't want you to blow any more. From a hardware store, buy a light socket with 2 wires on it. Remove the circuit wire from that fuse and attach one of these light socket wires to the fuse terminal. Splice the other light socket wire onto the circut wire that you removed. Put a 100 watt bulb in this light socket and install a new fustat. A short circuit or a grounded hot wire will cause the bulb to light at full briteness. Now, if you are really sure that everything is unplugged, your next step may be that you will need to remove and inspect every outlet on that circuit. Just make sure that the outlet is actually dead before you remove it by plugging in a lamp into the outlet first. As you're working, keep an eye on the test light bulb, because once the direct short is found, the bulb will glow dimmer if something is still using that circuit, or go out completely. If you do find something wrong with the wiring in any of the wall boxes, just remove the test light bulb before doing repairs, to prevent getting shocked. And don't forget about the light switches. Sometimes a light fixture gets tied into a receptacle circuit. Make sure you can turn the lights on and off. Best of Luck to you - you'll find it!

Owen

Ok guys went through all the fuses with Jeff, he called me saw the thread. Anyway I found out the washing machine is on a different fuse so I don't have to unplug it so I thought. Found out thats not working either. So either one of the mains isn't really good or I got another problem. So I'll go in the morning to get a new set of main fuses and try that. Otherwise I'm gonna just buy a whole new box and go with circuit breakers like normal people.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help and the calls. Sorry dksmith I was on the phone with Jeff when you called. Thanks and I'll keep you all up on what happens tomorrow. No sense going through the outlets now if that's not the problem. I have unplugged everything though. Dang if it's not one thing it another.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Margaret

I Wish I'm closer, but Mini this is something not to DIY. If is happening just recently with no reason, Check out Attic could be Coon chew wires. otherwise wait for somebody to chime in. Rooster1 is electrician by trade. Hang on, don't try to open outlets yourself, please, be patient.

Good Luck

Mini.

You have a dead short somewhere. If it is blowing one of the mains, there has to be a serious problem in that side of the fusebox. Most likely a short in one of the 220 volt lines. That would be either the hot water heater, stove, AC unit or dryer circuit and somehow the fuse to that unit is not blowing.

Take every fuse in the box out, look in the hole where the fuse came out and make sure someone did NOT put a penny behind it, then replace the mains. If the main blows, it is not one of the appliance circuits, it is in the box itself. If the main does not blow, replace the fuses one at a time and see what happens.

I'm in St Louis now and won't be home until tomorrow night. If you cant get it fixed, you get the cherry pies mixed up and I will throw some tools in the truck Tuesday morning and come down. Once I get it fixed you can bake the pies while I pack up the tools.

I'm serious about this. If you can't get it fixed by Tuesday, I will be glad to come down and see if I can help out. (I am actually a very competant electrician.)

:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by Steve S

I promise to be patient guys. Didn't get much sleep last night so I'm not gonna play with any of it tonight. Just unplug stuff.

I'll let you know Steve. I didn't know you would be home this week.

Thanks

Margaret

something bugging you Mini, How is your Bug story endup?

The bug is out that took 2 hrs in the docs office. Man that hurt too. But I've been debugged. This has been an interesting few weeks. First the water leak then the bug. Thought I was done having problems now the electric.

Margaret

Man, Mini when it rains.. it pours.....talk about a streak of bad luck....I almost don't want to pick on you anymore.........I said almost....everything will be ok..just get the pie fixens ready and relax....the good thing is when the Muffinman get home, everything will be like new..wish I was closer to help out....but, will look forward to seeing you on Bongobobbys ride...keep a stiff upper lip...might even buy you a banana split in a couple of weeks:fnd_(16)::fnd_(16):

The bug is out that took 2 hrs in the docs office. Man that hurt too. But I've been debugged. This has been an interesting few weeks. First the water leak then the bug. Thought I was done having problems now the electric.

Margaret

I dont remember hearing about the water leak?? Could it have anything to do with the elec? Water in an outlet or panel would cause your problem. Hope its just something simple, :080402gudl_prv: Craig

Ok who should I hand off the black cloud to next Dan. I promise not to give it back to you. :whistling:

Margaret

Stick it over the next cage you see with someone with a cell phone stuck to the side of their head!!! Pulled right out in front of me this evening and stopped when she finally saw me. Right in middle of my lane. "Ugly's" brake working pretty good. LADY learned some new words

This is not a DYI project! There is no way to troubleshoot the problem over the Internet so all advice is just guessing. The one thing you could do is remove all the fuses on the bad leg and replace the main fuse (have spares on hand). If the main blows the problem is in the main box. Then replace one fuse at a time to find the bad circuit, wear gloves when replacing the fuses. Leave the fuse out of the bad circuit and get an experienced electrician to fix it. Rod 35 years as electrician 20 specializing in troubleshooting.

Thanks guys I'll be heading out soon to pick up a couple of main fuses. If that don't fix it I'm gonna replace it. Oh the hot water heater does work. I heard that last night. Amazing what you can hear when nothing else is working. The AC unit isn't an outside unit and it does work. The stove isn't electric. So I'll let you all know if it fixes it or if I'm going the other way.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm kinda still hoping it's simple but I'm figuring it's probably not.

Margaret

Mini If you unplugged everything and its still popping fuse's . Look at he face plates of the outlets and see if any have traces of smoke residue either on the plate or the wall around it. Some times the connection on the outlets are not done secure enough and over time due to ressistance of the bad connection the wire heats up bakeing off the insulation causing a short in the box itself. If that is the case, then I suggest not putting in any more fuses. Best you spend your time shopping for those cherry pie fixin's and wait for Steve to deal with it, the last thing you need is a house fire or to get yourself hurt. One las thing just because one of the main fuses blows does not mean it is restricted to a 220 appliance even a 110 line can blow the main fuse if it is a heavy enough short. just ask any carpenter who has unwittingly cut through a hidden 110 line.

Ok I just finished talking to Jeff and he told me which of his meters I can use. He has a few so I wasn't sure if I could just use any one, you men get a bit picky about that stuff. So I'll be checking the one outlet I think may have started this. I had tested out the stuff that was plugged into different outlets and the tv in the living room doesn't work anymore. Not sure if that happened because of or if it was the reason for all this. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I will be careful.

Margaret

Ok I just finished talking to Jeff and he told me which of his meters I can use. He has a few so I wasn't sure if I could just use any one, you men get a bit picky about that stuff.

You mean like which set of dishes or pot or pan we are allowed or not allowed to use:big-grin-emoticon:

Well I was on the phone with Riderduke while I was checking my fuses and outlets. He told me to leave it all alone. Looks like I'm probably gonna need a new box. He said he can get here sat night or sun morning. I'll be out of the house as of thurs I have to go to the other side of the state for a wedding. So I'll be gone thurs to sat. So I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. He was a little concerned that the washing machine doesn't work but the water heater does and they share a fuse. So I'll leave it all alone. I did find some mouse traps that got stuck under the tv. Who knew I didn't realize I still had them. Thank you all for your help and concern. I really do appreciate it all. I don't like bothering folks for anything but this group is wonderful about helping. So I'll just kick back and wait for someone else to change the box.

Oh I already priced the box so I know what I'm looking at money wise and Jeff told me what amp we have for the house so I'm good their. Might just go get the box tomorrow or later today. Then if there's anything else needed it can be picked up later.

Guess I should take my shower in the daylight since there isn't any lights in there. Kinda hard to wash up when you can't see. :) Gotta have a sense of humour through all this.

Margaret