IGNORED

Aux Fuel Tank Connection?

craigatcsi

Red1 - The reason for the Aux Tank is two-fold.

1. To extend my range.

2. I am seldom ready for a stop when the gas tank is. I just want to keep on riding. So, stopping alongside the road to transfer the gas is about the same as stopping at a Gas Station - I don't want to HAVE to stop.

Dude - don't be so serious! I was just having a little fun! :banana:and making a point at the same time.

I understand the reasons WHY someone would want to do it - just seems like a lot of work to save a few minutes of rolling time. Bear in mind - it's actually GOOD for you to stop, get off the bike and stretch your legs - it helps to keep your muscles & reflexes sharp and helps your mental focus. It gives you a chance to assess your overall condition - you may not feel the effects of dehydration, for example, until you actually stop the bike and try to walk. Sitting too long in one position is also bad for your circulation and can lead to blood clots in the legs and a swelling of the feet.

Serious enough? How about what happens to an aux tank gas tank in the event of a crash? Where does that little bomb fly off to? A crash is bad enough - a crash with an extra 5 gallons of gas sprayed over scene seems a lot worse to me.

My point - never forget the Law of Unintended Consequences. Or, if you prefer - Newton said - "For every action, there is an equal and OPPOSITE reaction".

Being able to ride for 7 hours without stopping might SEEM like a good idea...............but is it REALLY? Is making good time the most point in our journey?

OK, that's all the serious I can handle for 1 day. :hurts: Safety first, fun second (or ivice-versa) - non-stop endurance riding.........not in the top 10 for me.

I'll be adding an auxliary tank to my bike sometime this winter. While I & the Mrs. are ready for a break after a 125- 150 miles I've found that since triking the bike my tank rang has shrunk. Thee's been a couple of times that I was concerned about finding fuel in time thus the decision of adding say a 3-5 gal tank. Mine will be mounted under the trike body and out of sight except for the filler cap. I haven't decided yet on type or whatever but have found this topic interesting for all the various opinions floated about.

Larry

As far as the plumbing goes, the guy I met on the GW with a similar setup, had an auxilliary fuel pump to pump the fuel from the Aux Tank into his main tank. He told me that when his MAIN tank got to around 1/4, he just hits a switch and the aux fuel pump pumps from the AUX tank to his MAIN tank in approx 15 minutes, (if I remember right).

Now HIS aux tank was only 3 gallons, I think I want 5.

I plan to run the Aux fuel line up the frame and use steel line once it is on the bike, (I think), just so it looks better. I don't want a piece of rubber hose 'zip tied' along the frame. I think this would look tacky. I would like this to look as professional as I can.

I have yet to figure out where to locate the Aux fuel pump and the plumbing of how to get the fuel into the MAIN tank - where to plumb what. I don't think I can use the main petcock, so I am wondering about drilling the tank and installing a one-way valve for the Aux Fuel line.

craigr

I've been thinking about this quite a bit and it seems that maybe a reasonable place for the inlet for the gas would be near the air vent under the ignition cover. That way all of the plumbing could be routed out of sight as well as any drilling would be reasonably protected from the elements.

As for where to mount the spare tank - that is a good question...

Keep us posted, I am interested to see what you come up with :)

I like the idea of refilling the main tank and not messing with any of the existing fuel lines and such and there ought to be plenty of room for an inline fuel filter somewhere along the way.

Curiouser & curiouser........:whistling::confused24:

NEXT................. to solve the side effect of "extended range" - we"ll discuss how to hook up a drain directly from your bladder using a catheter, some plastic tubing, a half gallon milk jug and some duct tape. :stirthepot::rotf: Now where did I put those pictures.......................?????

Red,

There has been a variation of this done.

A veteran Iron Butt competitor Morris Kruemcke, designed the infamous "pee-tube" on his bike which permits him to relieve himself without stopping. He has made trips of nearly 1200 miles without touching his feet tothe ground. (from 'Going the Extra Mile' by Ron Ayers - a book about LD riding and the Iron Butt Rally).

There was another guy that used this technique recently to travel cross country non-stop. He rode a GW with a trailer. He set up the trailer with multiple fuel tanks and was able to ride from San Diego to Jacksonville without stopping. That's just nuts - but true. Basically, he was riding a GW pulling a bomb.

RR

After reading the posts on this thread and other threads in the past, I just have to say it at least once....

I haven't been riding a motorcycle for many years because it's the 'safe' way to travel. I didn't water ski because it was safe, especially the Jump & slalom course. I don't continue to ride in the rain rather than pull into a hotel, because the hotel is safer, etc...

There are certain inherant risks to all that we do in life. I personally don't see using an auxiliary tank as any more dangerous than having one between my legs while on the bike.

If something bad happens to me while doing these 'dangerous' activities, then it happens. I'm not going to spend my life wrapped in a mattress in front of my television at home, just to make sure I am safe and survive to age 100.

If I die young, my family and friends will at least be able to say that I enjoyed life instead of constantly worrying about losing it.

I have pushed the limits many times in my life and usually come out on top. Those times I haven't, I heal up and usually tried them again. I like to LIVE - not just survive.

For those that just want to play the game of just trying to see who can survive the longest, motorcycling probably isn't the best thing for you.

To each his own. Live how you want to live, but please don't bash me because I choose to do something that you might consider to be a little be dangerous. I carry my own insurance so you won't have to pay my bills if / when I get hurt.

There, I gave my rant.

craigr

Craigr,

LD riding is addicting (at least it is for me). I don't care why you want to do it - just go for it.

As another positive for an aux fuel tank, this past April I took a ride from WI, to Texas, to Las Vegas, and back to WI via Wyoming. While heading across SD, I had about a 30 mph headwind - right in my teeth. While trying to travel the speed limit of 75, my mileage was down under 30 mpg. It would have taken me all day to get across that state without the aux tank.

Have you looked at doing any of the LD rallies? The Minnesota 1000 is run out of Minneapolis, the Utah 1088 is run out of SLC, and I believe they ran the Dusty Butt (1000 miles/24 hrs/all off road) in NE. Check the IBA website for links to many more. If you like distance running, they are a lot of fun.

Good luck putting this together. Post pictures of how it turned out.

FYI: You will need a fuel pump of some kind if the aux tank is below the current fuel pump. I wonder if you would be able to use the vent fitting in the main tank as an entry point for fuel from the aux to the main tank?

RR

Edited by RedRider

How far do yall want to ride without stopping.

My venture goes on reserve between 175 and 195 miles depending on the ride conditions.

On the iron butt we rode I averaged 39.75 mpg. most of the time riding alone I average 41 mpg.

I can always get 200 miles, and pushing it 220 on a tank.

On 2 lane riding, not over 65 mph I can get up to 46 mph, then reserve is at about 205 miles, either way at 200 miles I want to stop for a minute. that's 4 hours in the seat.

And no matter how you put it, fun, a challenge or not, an Iron butt ride is not safe, I have done one and will more than likely do another, but no one, I don't care who you are or what you believe you can do, is safe driving anything more than 10 hours without stopped for a rest and sleep.

That why the trucking laws exists today, there was extensive reach performed over a persons ability to remain focused to operate vehicles safely. This research was carried out in all vehicles not just trucks.

I was emt for years, and after working the interstate and sees the accidents that driver falling asleep caused, it is obivious to me a safety stop every few hours is smart.

I know someone is bound to say, that on a bike your not going to hurt anyone but your self, WRONG, DEAD WRONG, back in 1997 a biker on a Goldwing went to sleep on I-75 at the Turner-Tift county line, went through the median and hit a small car head on, and the resulting wreck cost 4 people, an entire family their lives. The biker was not injured he was thrown off when the bike went through the median, he landed in tall grass on soft dirt( mud).

The biker had started out from virginia that morning and had been stopping only for gas, he was trying to go straight through to Panama City Beach. From what he told, he had been in the saddle for 14 hours when the wreck occured.

On the Iron Butt we recently did, it took us 20 hours to complete, now I was doing ok at the end, but I was not 100%, we were all very tired, and that's when mistakes occur. Me, David and Bobby discuss the ride Friday night and talked about the condition we were in at the end.

My point you need to think carefully about how far you and your mental acuity, dead is a premenant condition, you don't come back.

By the way in most states, the highway patrol and can charge you with reckless driving or DWI if you are altered due to exhaustion.

just my 2 cents.

Gregg

Edited by footsie

I ride prolly 90% 2 up, and get apprrox 36mpg on average. We typically really start looking for a gas station at 120 miles. If I know there is one at 140, I will usually go for it, depending on the gas guage. In so areas where we didn't know where the next one was because of many small towns or sunday or ???, I stopped with as few as 80 miles on the tank.

I don't like doing this.

Just because I CAN go 250 to 300 miles with the Aux Tank, doesn't mean I HAVE to wait that long to stop. It simply means that I can if I want to.

It's kinda like being in a gun fight, you probably won't need more than a clip, but it sure would be nice to have a copule of extra clips - just in case.

Then there is also the 'cool' factor. - That is if it's made to look nice.

If I can't do this without it looking darn near professional, then I won't do it at all. I don't want this project to look like it was done with bailing wire & duct tape. I'm thinking that the fuel tank or compartment for the aux tank will be painted to match the trailer. So you won't know what it is unless you really take a close look at it.

As far as using a 'T' at the petcock, I worry what effect that would have on fuel to the factroy fuel pump. There would be actual fuel pressure going to it rather than just the gravitiy from the tank. So, I will have to look further into this option.

craigr

As far as using a 'T' at the petcock, I worry what effect that would have on fuel to the factroy fuel pump. There would be actual fuel pressure going to it rather than just the gravitiy from the tank. So, I will have to look further into this option.

craigr

Craigr,

I don't think I would use the petcock T if you were using an aux fuel pump. I have placed my aux tank on the pillion seat location (bolted to the grab handles) and only gravity feed. This, obviously won't work riding 2-up. I believe, to use an aux fuel pump you will need to either plumb in after the bike pump or use it to fill the main tank.

Does anybody know what happens to the bike fuel pump when the main tank runs dry? Does it shut off or keep running dry? If it keeps running, you may need to put in a cut off switch for the bike pump if you tap into the line after the pump.

Another option is to have a tank made that will fit in the trunk. There is an access hole in the right front bottom of the trunk (there is a rubber plug in it) that would allow a line to emerge. You would still need to deal with the vent drain (should be easy) and the grounding wire (should also be easy). There may be some tanks made for racing (cars) that might fit. If I remember correctly, Summit is a brand name for one manufacturer.

RR

To each his own. Live how you want to live, but please don't bash me because I choose to do something that you might consider to be a little be dangerous. I carry my own insurance so you won't have to pay my bills if / when I get hurt.

There, I gave my rant.

craigr

Craig,

My apologies if you thought my safety concerns with an aux tank were directed at you (or anyone else) personally. It certainly was NOT intended as a "personal bash". Frankly, I don't care HOW or when you personally check out. And I agree it would be better to die in fiery crash than choke to death in front of the TV. Better to burn out than rust out, eh? My point was not about your personal safety or how you live your life. I don't care if you wear a helmet or skydive or like to swallow swords or play with scorpions. Mistakes doing any of those activities will probably only injure you.

My concern was for all the other people you share the road the with. Riding a motorcycle for 7 hours then fueling up and riding another 7 hours is NOT like driving a car for the same period of time. (Although many people are not capable of driving a car for 14 hrs either.) I think most would agree that motorcycling is much more physically draining on the body and you are much more exposed to the effects of the weather. The resulting effects on the human body such as dehydration, heat exhaustion, muscle cramping, loss of focus and general fatigue that are often not noticed by the rider as they are occurring. The result CAN be a motorcyclist that is operating at MUCH less than 100% of his/her physical & mental abilities - so that if (or when) a situation arises that requires quick reactions and clear thinking - he/she is NOT up to the task. The end result can be other people injured besides you.

And whether or not you see an exposed 5 gallon can of gas as "no less dangerous than the tank between your legs' - that is in part because you are thinking only of the danger to yourself. The fact is that extra 5 gallons of gas strapped on the trailer behind you, unless the attachment is properly engineered, could become dislodged in a relatively minor crash and turn into an airborne bomb - and go........where? The tank between your legs is not likely fly off and injure anyone else. Again - my concern is not whether you burn yourself up, but for the potential for burn injuries to OTHER people, should that gas end up on them.

I have nothing against LD riding or LD riders - I enjoy being on my bike all day, too. It takes a lot of stamina to ride long distances. But there are REAL benefits to stopping every couple hours that should not be overlooked or minimized. And while you might find it inconvenient - the benefits are not just for you alone.

So do the rest of us on the road with you a favor - don't just think about how to make your aux tank "look cool" - think about what happens to that extra gas can if you should crash. Even at low speed, a crash that extra gas tank cannot avoid the laws of physics - remember "an object in motion will remain in motion" ? Crash at 25 mph and the tank will want to continue traveling at 25 mph. Drink plenty of fluids while you are riding and stay sharp out there. There are other lives and dreams at stake besides your own.

I'm a huge believer in personal freedom, but the other side of that coin is personal responsibility. You don't get to enjoy one without accepting the other. And to me - that means thinking about the effects of MY actions on other people, not just on myself. I don't care if a person drinks beer until they can't stand up - but they have NO right to get behind the wheel and put others at risk because of their choice. We have a responsibility not only to ourselves, but to perform our activities to the best of our ability and within our capabilities - so as not to put others at risk.

So, did I say all that without it coming across as "bashing" or ranting or a personal attack? :confused24: It was intended as food for thought to everyone. "To each his own" is a fine sentiment and I whole-heartedly agree, unless one's own actions cause others not to be able to enjoy thier life.

Thanks for carrying your own insurance, too. :hurts:

Sorry if my thoughts derailed the topic - although they were at least related to the topic somewhat. :whistling:

Adios.

Putting a "T" between the petcock and the fuel pump should show no problem as long as the main tank isn't full. The pump would backfill the main tank and the liquid pressure head would remain basically unaffected.

On the 1st gen, the fuel pump runs as long as the tach signal is present...

I plan on installing an aux tank in the near future . I plan on placing the aux on the trailer . I have several options . One is to build an aluminum 3 or 4 gal tank and mount it under the BC in the frame work with fuel fill port and vent . 2nd is that I have a fuel bladder from a Zodiac , which is Coast Guard approved and is Black in color . It has the DOT/CG stamp on it clearly visible , so let the gas attendant B**CH all they want . Either way , I will have a fuel pump to pump into the main tank . I think I will run my main tank out before I touch my aux tank . Having to many shut off/bypass valves to deal with while moving in traffic may not be a good alternative . I'm going to look into using a one way check valve and look into piping it into the overflow on the main tank . This way , I will not need to worry about other valves while on the move .

Now for a coupling between the trailer and scoot . There is a Quick Release coupling that is made for break away emergency situations . It is costly , but you yourself can out way the importance of such an incident , so I will not go into detail about it . Boat connections are good if the aux tank in on the scoot . A run away trailer is something else .

Now for the reason I wish to have an aux tank . I stop about every 100-120 miles to stretch the legs , inspect the scoot , top off with hopefully fresh/good fuel and let the wife have a smoke . I also sometimes ride with groups that like to run till empty . Pulling a trailer at high speed consumes more fuel than scoots without trailers . Mostly HD guys and I hate to hear them cry because they have to pull over and waite for another to top off with fuel . With extra fuel to extend me to the next fuel stop with die hard fume sniffers , I do not have to hear them snivel anymore . And also in the case the gas stops are far and few between , I can extend my travels . Also it's nice to have extra fuel to help out another biker stranded on the side of the road if need be .

BEER30

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted an auxilary tank in my trailer. I used rubber fuel line with a marine quick connector, and an inline electric pump.

I dissconected the breather tube from the top of the main tank and connected the aux. Line here, then drilled a 1/16 hole in the top of the filler neck to act as a vent.

So far i have covered about 15000kms. In 18 months and had no problems wih the instalation.

One advantage is my mates dont get p....d off with me any more, because i dont have to stop for fuel every 120-150 kms.

Hi all,

I see where some are going to put Aux tanks in or on their trikes, I sold my trike last month but before selling it I purchased a Tour Tank 6X20 offset DLX 2 1/2 gallon, (4) mounting bushings, 1/4 TTkit, 1/4 chrome disconnect, nylon tour tank cover and 1/4 inline valve, did not use still in box will sell for $345.00 plus shipping.

Bushwacker:hurts: