IGNORED

Aux Fuel Tank Connection?

craigatcsi

While at a Dealer a couple of w/e's ago, I saw a G/W with an aux fuel tank on his reciever hitch. It was a home-made job welded aluminum box that holds 2 or 3 gallons. He said when he gets down to 1/4 tank, he flips a switch and an electric fuel pump moves the fuel from the aux tank to his main tank. He said it takes about 15 minutes and it does this while going down the road.

Well this got me thinking about my bike and my limited range due to fuel mileage. Our bikes are so darned comfortable, our bodies are seldom ready to stop as often as our fuel tanks are.

When we take long trips, we usually take our trailer. So, hanging an aux tank off the reciever hitch isn't an option. But, putting an aux tank in front of the trailer, like some do a cooler would work. I could then run a fuel line up the tounge to the bike. The only thing I can figure out is the connection between the trailer and the bike.

Would a simple rubber gas line hold up to all of the movement? Or would I need something 'fancier' or more commercially made?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

craigr

A simple rubber fuel line would work but it would be more like a short term solution. Think of connecting and disconnecting the trailer and the fuel line. I think it would be best to have a fixed recepticle at the bike hitch and another behind the trailer hitch that a rubber hose could be plugged into. I'm thinking hydraulic or air quick disconnect type fittings to 1/2 or 3/8 soft copper tubing. These are suitable to be made using hand tools.

Well I thought of that, but we only use our tailer once or twice a year. And when the trailer is hooked up, it stays hooked up for the length of the trip.

That is why I was thinking of something as simple of a rubber gas line and a couple of hose clamps - IF the hose would hold up to all of the flexing.

Of course, I would put shut-offs at each side of the joint.

craigr

An aux fuel tank is really easy to install on this bike. My tank is mounted on a board (cut to shape) which installs on the pillion seat location. The seat is removed. The tank could just as easily fit into the trunk (if it is a correct size, obviously). The tank shown is 3 gallons.

The GW mount is for a receiver hitch style mount. Something custom could be made for the Venture, but you would also need to move the rear lights and license plate.

Here are some pictures of how mine is mounted and installed. The fuel line had the first elbow cut out and replaced with a brass 'T'. It is plugged when not in use. You can find this at any autoparts store. I wrapped the line with split electrical cord protector covered with duct tape. This is to prevent rubbing, although after running it, it doesn't really need it.

My main tank also has been modified by punching some holes in the filler neck. This allows you to fill the tank to the top without the 1/2 gallon worth of air for expansion. Therefore, I usually run about 30 miles on the main tank and then switch to the aux tank. To switch, just turn the main petcock to 'off' and turn on the ball valve for the aux tank. When the aux tank runs dry, turn on the main tank petcock and shut off the aux valve. Run til you hit reserve.

This keeps the gas gauge active and accurate. Let me know if you have any questions.

RR

Why not use the same quick disconnect that is used on boats for the connection between the motor and the removable tank? That uses a rubber gas line and seems to hold up to all the jostling a boat takes year after year. And for that matter, you could use a boat gas tank as your aux tank. Or one of those skinny fuel packs they make for 4 wheelers?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0049067&navCount=2&parentId=cat20161&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21412-cat20161&parentType=index&indexId=cat20161&rid=

Seems to me it be easier to use products already designed to carry fuel. You could mount one of these thin gas packs on the trailer, then use RedRiders attachment method to hook it into the Venture fuel line. With a fuel line connector from a boat, you'd have a safe, easy way to un-couple the tank. Just a thought.

Not that it matters to me - my wife only has 125 mile bladder anyway - mine's not a lot better.:doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I built an aux gas tank for my 1st Gen Venture a few years ago. It sits on the rear seat where a passenger would normally sit. It holds 3-1/2 gallons of gas which gives me an additional 120 - 150 miles of range depending on how I drive. For the rubber hose hookup I went down to Wally's World and bought a male and female gas line connector for a boat. Boats have removeable gas tanks and their line connector works just perfect for this. It has an auto shutoff valve built in and when disconnected you never spill a drop of gas. No smell, no mess, it's really easy. You just plug it in or pull it apart depending on need. Try it, I'm sure it will work for your installation as nice as it did for mine. It cost around $12 for both pieces.

Red Baron

Red, do you add an extra fuel pump in-line?

Or do you use some type of (Y) adapter

and go in front of the original fuel pump?

Do you let them drain at the same time?

lots of Questions *lol* :D

I would really like to do this mod on my trike

over the winter. also what tank did you buy?

Thanks,

Jeff

Red, Thanks for the link. If I can I might go with the 4 gal.

-How does the tank work right with-out a vented cap?

-I still want to know did you add the (T) before the fuel pump?

-I also was thinking if set up right why not just leave both tanks

in the ON Position?

Thanks,

Jeff

Good idea on the Boat gas line connectors.

But, for my application, (on the front of my trailer), I thought why not carry the boat idea further.

What about an Aux Tank for a Boat, painted black to match my trailer, then set on a frame welded to the tongue just in front of the trailer body?

I know my trailer has the option for a cooler in that position, so the weight shouldn't affect anything.

Of course this is just off the top of my head, but may warrant further thought.

craigr

Red, Thanks for the link. If I can I might go with the 4 gal.

-How does the tank work right with-out a vented cap?

-I still want to know did you add the (T) before the fuel pump?

-I also was thinking if set up right why not just leave both tanks

in the ON Position?

Thanks,

Jeff

- I would prefer to have the cap vented. However, I bought this used and it didn't have the vent. The new ones do. If it is hot out, I run 15 or 20 miles on each tank to allow extra expansion room before I switch to the aux tank only.

My tank also does not have the electrical ground connection. This is another thing I would add if I were to do it again. Both the vent and the ground connection are required by the IBA (Iron Butt Association) for use in sanctioned rallies.

- Yes, the T is added right after the petcock. There is a 90 degree bend about 3" from the petcock. I cut that bend out and replaced it with a T. This is before the pump.

- I believe you could leave them both ON and be ok. However, I am not sure how it would effect the levels in the main tank and, therefore, the gas gauge accuracy. The advantage of running the aux tank first, is that once it is done, you have the known range of your main tank (and reserve).

I got this tank to run in LD rallies (haven't used it yet - see item 1). It is important to know your exact range since stopping too often takes extra time. Similarly, not stopping often enough takes more time.

If you intend to run in any LD rallies, check the IBA website for rules on fuel capacity. Not sure if there is an increase for a trike (there is for a hack), but a standard 2 wheeled bike can carry no more than 11 gallons. The stock tank is 6, so a 4 gallon would work fine.

RR

..........I'm sure someone will. And I could be wrong - I was once before - but I believe ANY portable tank or cannister or jug into which you put gasoline is - by law - supposed to be red for safety reasons. Gas stations can stop you from putting gas into any non-red colored container. I know - because they stopped me from filling a clear 5 gal. jug with gas I was getting for my boat. As I recall -

"Hey - STOP! You can't put gas in THAT! It's gotta be a RED can!!!!"

"Really? Why's that?"

"I dunno - but it's the LAW. Now shut off the pump."

Now I leave my clear jug for my boat gas in the bed of the truck when I fill it up. :hurts:

And maybe I'm just a simple guy that likes to do things a simple way......... But I don't see any reason to hook it up into the bike in any permanent or even removable fashion. Why not just carry the gas in a one of those flat spare gas cans on your trailer or on the trunk rack and when you run low, pull over, and just pour it into the tank? It would take what - maybe 3-5 minutes to do that, stretch your legs, eat a candy bar and take a pee? :confused24: Just sayin'.............

Red,

Yes, that is the law for any stand alone gas containers. Red for gas, blue for kerosene, and yellow for diesel (I think). If a container is (semi-) permanently mounted on a vehicle, color doesn't matter. Otherwise, the riders of slower bikes would be in trouble with their main tank.

However, you and I, riding the fastest RED bikes - with red tanks - will be OK either way.

RR

Yes, that is the law for any stand alone gas containers. Red for gas, blue for kerosene, and yellow for diesel (I think). If a container is (semi-) permanently mounted on a vehicle, color doesn't matter. Otherwise, the riders of slower bikes would be in trouble with their main tank.

Like those Gen 1's and HD's you mean????:rotf:

However, you and I, riding the fastest RED bikes - with red tanks - will be OK either way.

True, true.........maybe that's why we go thru so much gas??????????

RR

There ya go! Correction and humor at the same time. :banana:Curious tho.................did you see how many responding to this thread are named "red"? :think:

Good idea to use a boat gas tank for the aux tank. Should work just fine. When I plumbed my aux tank I used rubber fuel hose and put a "T" in the fuel line between the onboard fuel tank and the filter / pump. Plumb the aux tank to the "T" and put an on / off valve in the line where you can reach it with ease and don't forget the disconnect fitting discussed earlier. Close the on board tank petcock when using fuel from the aux tank. Close the on/off valve at the aux tank when using fuel from the on board tank. If you place the "T" before the fuel filter all fuel from both tanks will be filtered by the same filter. It's an easy job. Just takes a little time. Always use the fuel from the aux tank first. When that runs out you can then switch to your on board tank and your gas gauge will now tell you your remaining fuel. Works GREAT for me on my bike. You will enjoy the extended range. Good luck with the project.

Red Baron

Curiouser & curiouser........:whistling::confused24:

Good idea to use a boat gas tank for the aux tank. Should work just fine. When I plumbed my aux tank I used rubber fuel hose and put a "T" in the fuel line between the onboard fuel tank and the filter / pump. Plumb the aux tank to the "T" and put an on / off valve in the line where you can reach it with ease and don't forget the disconnect fitting discussed earlier. Close the on board tank petcock when using fuel from the aux tank. Close the on/off valve at the aux tank when using fuel from the on board tank. If you place the "T" before the fuel filter all fuel from both tanks will be filtered by the same filter. It's an easy job. Just takes a little time. Always use the fuel from the aux tank first. When that runs out you can then switch to your on board tank and your gas gauge will now tell you your remaining fuel. Works GREAT for me on my bike. You will enjoy the extended range. Good luck with the project.

NEXT................. to solve the side effect of "extended range" - we"ll discuss how to hook up a drain directly from your bladder using a catheter, some plastic tubing, a half gallon milk jug and some duct tape. :stirthepot::rotf: Now where did I put those pictures.......................?????

Curiouser & curiouser........:whistling::confused24:

NEXT................. to solve the side effect of "extended range" - we"ll discuss how to hook up a drain directly from your bladder using a catheter, some plastic tubing, a half gallon milk jug and some duct tape. :stirthepot::rotf: Now where did I put those pictures.......................?????

Sounds like a lot of work :no-no-no:... I'll just stick to the simple method of

1) set cruise

2) stand up

3) let-'er-rip :yikes:

This is also an effective method of dealing with tailgaters... :happy34:

Red1 - The reason for the Aux Tank is two-fold.

1. To extend my range.

2. I am seldom ready for a stop when the gas tank is. I just want to keep on riding. So, stopping alongside the road to transfer the gas is about the same as stopping at a Gas Station - I don't want to HAVE to stop.

As far as the plumbing goes, the guy I met on the GW with a similar setup, had an auxilliary fuel pump to pump the fuel from the Aux Tank into his main tank. He told me that when his MAIN tank got to around 1/4, he just hits a switch and the aux fuel pump pumps from the AUX tank to his MAIN tank in approx 15 minutes, (if I remember right).

Now HIS aux tank was only 3 gallons, I think I want 5.

I plan to run the Aux fuel line up the frame and use steel line once it is on the bike, (I think), just so it looks better. I don't want a piece of rubber hose 'zip tied' along the frame. I think this would look tacky. I would like this to look as professional as I can.

I have yet to figure out where to locate the Aux fuel pump and the plumbing of how to get the fuel into the MAIN tank - where to plumb what. I don't think I can use the main petcock, so I am wondering about drilling the tank and installing a one-way valve for the Aux Fuel line.

craigr

:confused07:

Sounds like a lot of work :no-no-no:... I'll just stick to the simple method of

1) set cruise

2) stand up

3) let-'er-rip :yikes:

This is also an effective method of dealing with tailgaters... :happy34:

:big-grin-emoticon: I think I will just stop and do my business...sounds like it may be something like pissing into the wind. That is never a good thing

craigr

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38549]Parts Alternatives - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

I was going to look into these that VGoose has posted

for when doing the same thing.

scroll down to fuel pumps.

And if you try one of these let me know what you think!

Good Luck

Jeff