IGNORED

17th confirmed bird strike of the year

Many moons ago a buddy of mine was riding a CB400 in to the ferry at Cape Tormintine when a seagull hit him (or he hit it) square in the face. I was right behind him. He let go of the handlebars and and came off the back of the bike. The funny thing was is that he didn't change his position at all. That is, when he hit the ground he was in the same position as if he were still riding. We think he was knocked out from the bird strike. He wasn't hurt (much) as we were only going about 30 mph. The bike wobbled on for about 100 yds then fell over.

Wow I sympathize with ya man.It must suck knowing that every time you ride you have a good chance of smacking a bird:rotf:

In 45 years and I don't even want to think how many miles I have only hit one bird and that was on my first road trip in the 60's. A humming bird hit me between the eyes just outside of Moab by Arches NP.I was riding a Norton Commando, no windshield and if my sleeping bag had not been tied on the seat behind me I would have done a back flip off the bike.I was wearing goggles but the bird mess covered them and I could only see a little out the right side,just enough to get it off the road without a crash.My buddy was laughing so hard he did drop his Bike when he stopped.:headache:Head and neck ached for a week.:rotf:I still laugh when I think about that.

I was coming back from a nice trip along the shore line and I spotted a rather sizable bird sitting on the yellow line.. the road ahead curve sharply to the right with a guard rail in front of you and the ocean on the other side.. no probs..

As I approached the bird, it wasn't moving so I eased over to the right to avoid hitting it.. but at the last moment it flew up, nailed me in the knee cap (ouch!!) and bounced up into my face fluttering of wings as the bird was caught under my helmet's visor.. I couldn't see where I was going and all I could remember of the road was that sharp turn, guardrail and ocean.. braking as hard as I could on the less that nice road, I skidded and swerved, cursed and flailed to get that bird off my face and then all of a sudden it was gone and the guard rail was fast approaching but I managed to make a decent scrapping turn and survived the turn.. thank god no cars were coming..

I kept on rolling, catching my breath and wondering what the heck had happened.. wow.. scared the begeesus out of me.. wow.. My kneecap hurt like heck and I had one hell of an adrenalin rush, I can assure you.. So back to the city I go, a nice 30 minute ride back on the highway.

When I get to the city outskirts, I pulled up beside a convertible with two gorgeous babes it.. they gave me a glance and then started to laugh loudly pointing at me.. Aww man, I must a lot of bird guts and feathers all over me.. But as the light changed and the car pulled away, one of the girls called out "Nice Pecker, dood!".. Well thank you.. I didnt know you cared.. ?! What the heck?

1o minutes later I pull into my fave coffee shop where my friends were hanging out and as I rolled in I was getting that strange look again.. Ok.. WHAT!!??

One of the girls called out.. "Taking your bird for a ride or what?!" OMG did I forget to zip up at the last pee stop?! When I looked down, there was this rather large red headed bird sitting between my legs on the tank, looking around as if to say "Are we there yet"???

One of the coffee shop ladies is a bird lover and said it was a red crested wood pecker, on the list of endangered birds or something and she called the SPCA to come fetch the bird as it was still alive.. not sure exactly the species but they made a bit of a deal about it.. so rare I guess.. No wonder my kneecap was so bruised after that collision with a wood pecker's head!

Now I can ONLY imagine what those two girls in the convertible were thinking when I pulled up beside them and they saw my pecker sticking up looking around as I took my bird out for a ride that day..

And from that day on, my life has been miserable with birds.. sigh

None of this is made up.. I wish it were cause it's funny otherwise.. for others.. ;)

I was coming back from a nice trip along the shore line and I spotted a rather sizable bird sitting on the yellow line.. the road ahead curve sharply to the right with a guard rail in front of you and the ocean on the other side.. no probs..

Holy crap, tears are running down my face! THANKS!

Dave

PS, I mean, that musta been awful. :2143:

is there anything about this that relates to "picking up chicks when you got a bike"??(methinks yer confused and are getting the wrong kinda "birds")

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered I wasn't as studdly as I had imagined myself.. Nice pecker.. yeah right.. thanks.. next thing you know they'd say Nice Dick.. but my name isn't Richard..

Top 10 list of logical answers to hitting so many birds:

10) Fairing whiskers make the birds think you are a cat

9) Changed out the rear end and installed a 'worm' drive

8) Your head and helmet are small enough to look like a beetle

7) Your jacket is the color of a mating male bird

6) You installed a back nest instead of a back rest

5) Your left hand looks like it is hold a 'clutch' of eggs

4) Your combover is flapping in the breeze and looks like a nightcrawler

3) Your clutch housing chirp mimics a bird call

2) The birds think it is silly you have a cassette deck

And the number 1 reason you hit so many birds -

1) A Gen2 is a 'chick' magnet

Ok, I need to get back to work.

RR

Top 10 list of logical answers to hitting so many birds:

Ok, I need to get back to work.

RR

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

and just how many hours out of your work day did THAT take? :rotf:

Removed eyebrowse / whiskers last year..

Plausible.. though I doubt it..

insulting beggar ya!!

All black.. only hit three crows..

Nah, I double checked..

now you're reaching lol

helmet covers the combover.. I mean the full head of hair.. can't be that..

No chirping on this bike! It 'meows' though..

No tape deck, previous owner removed it to install a radar detector.. (since tossed out as it's illegal around here)

Ok, I'll buy that one.. ;) One of them chicks will give me a peck on the cheek some day soon.. hahaha

Sure beats hitting a horse. Dont ask how i know. Ive wacked a couple of birds over the years,but nothing like that. Wow its gotta be some kind of record. Ride safe Chris

This is this wildest 'hit' story I heard from a friend..

He relates the story as heading across the Renous Highway in New Brunswick which intersects the province in the middle of the wilderness.. he was crossing it late late in the night and boom.. he woke up on his back on the highway with people hovering over him getting sick to their stomachs and yelling at him to stay still until an ambulance arrives.. "don't move, your guts are hanging out" Needless to say this scared him a lot as he could taste blood in his mouth and everything he touched was nothing but gore and blood.. He even got up to his feet, guts spilling off of him and he remembers watching a lady pass out on the highway as he pulled a chunk of meat off his chest.. When the ambulance arrived, the EMTs were in shock and almost unable to assist him because of all the blood and gore on him..

What happened is that while traveling at a good clip of speed in the middle of nowhere, he didn't see the moose in the middle of the road and nailed it mid-rift, ripping out the guts of the animal as the bike rolled under the moose, his windjammer effectively eviscerating the animal as it stood.. While my buddy crashed, coming off the bike unconscious before he even hit the road.. The moose must have jumped or run off into the wooded ditch in fright and died 25 metres into the woods..

When people arrived on the scene after the accident, all they say was a wrecked bike, a biker down and so much blood and gore all over the place, they thought it was his.. the moose was no where to be seen.. the EMTs saw the same thing and they thought buddy was delirious with pain because he wouldn't lay down on the gurney.. and he was panicking because he couldn't feel any wounds or injuries in spite of the amount of blood and gore around him..

Once people calmed down, someone figured out that a moose was hit (chunk of hide on the road apparently).. and that was it.. Bumps and bruises is all he suffered.. darn lucky and one hell of a story..

I was pegged by a bat once. Almost kill me. :doh:

Just because I answered this post :think:…. In 31 years I have never been hit by a bird. Last night my wife and I are returning home from an all day charity ride when we are 2 miles from the house I see a fast streak. “Thud” grey feathers everywhere. :starz: They circled around behind the windshield, I asked her "What was that?". She said it looked like a morning dove. It would have nailed me dead centre in the chest if it wasn’t for the windshield. All because I answered this post....:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Just because I answered this post :think:…. In 31 years I have never been hit by a bird. Last night my wife and I are returning home from an all day charity ride when we are 2 miles from the house I see a fast streak. “Thud” grey feathers everywhere. :starz: They circled around behind the windshield, I asked her "What was that?". She said it looked like a morning dove. It would have nailed me dead centre in the chest if it wasn’t for the windshield. All because I answered this post....:rotf::rotf::rotf:

THANK YOU!! My curse is lifted!! You are now the proud owner of the bird strike curse.. moua'ahahahahahaha.... thank you!!