IGNORED

Desperate Electrical short PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone. Just left for a 6k run and I'm I have a bad ground somewhere on the #5 "signal" fuse. This just happened. The first 1k was fine. The bike ran fine and charges fine.With the key on(engine off, the volt meter is way down. Around 9 volts. When I hit the brake, the gauge goes up to normal. With the engine on, the voltmeter stays at the very low voltage and when I hit the brake, the gauge goes up to 13 or so. Usually, the gauge shows 14+ with the motor running. Testing my trailer lights, the fuse blew. With nothing connected, the fuse is hotter than hell.On the bordeline of blowing. What all is attached to the "signal"fuse? What should I start disconnecting? Overall, the lights are fine, cranks strong, runs fine. But this fuse is going to blow and I'm afraid if I take off, I'll burn up the stator cuz something is drawing a lot. Please Help! Thanks!

It will be on the back side of the fuse if it is getting hot. You probably have a short to ground somewhere in that circuit. You just have to start tracing that wire from the fuse out and find where it is shorted. There is not shortcut for this. Look at the harness and it is probably up against some part of the bike and the vibration has rubbed through the insulation. It could even be in the switch on the handlebars.