IGNORED

Quasi-Scientific Iridium Plug Test (AKA "Magic" plugs)

V7Goose

OK, the numbers are in - Goose 1, Magic plugs 0! :cool10:

Executive Summary:

In a recent thread the subject of NGK Iridium plugs generated several comments from some members claiming an improvement in either performance or fuel economy attributed specifically to these "Magic" plugs. I maintained that there is absolutely no way any magic plug could ever improve anything over standard plugs except longevity (they do not erode the electrodes as fast).

Kross Kountry and I devised and executed a quasi-scientific test designed to effectively prove or disprove the idea that magic plugs could improve fuel economy. This test was performed by two similar bikes riding the same routes and speeds together for several tanks of gas with standard plugs in both, then several more tanks of gas with magic plugs in the test bike, while carefully comparing the amount of gas each bike took at each fill.

The exact miles per gallon for either bike are completely irrelevant in this test, as the only significant issue is to determine if the ratio of fuel used by Bike A to Bike B changed after the magic plugs were installed. At the end of 732 miles, the fuel used by the test bike was effectively unchanged, "proving" that magic plugs have NO value in improving fuel economy.

The Results:

By running two similar bikes together through several tanks of fuel, we were able to remove most of the normal variables (such as weather, terrain, speed, riding styles, quality of fuel, etc.) that make normal measurement of miles per gallon on a motorcycle fairly useless. Since our tanks are so small, the variables effectively invalidate every single calculation, but in this test they can mostly be ignored because they should have affected BOTH bikes the same way. And, again, we were not actually concerned by the MPG calculations, just the ratio of fuel used in Bike A to Bike B. There are a few significant variables that remained, and I will detail these in the gory details below.

Bike A was the control bike with standard plugs. This was my 2005 RSV with over 70,000 miles on it and no special preparation. I consider the bike in reasonably good tune, and the plugs were changed a bit over 2,000 miles ago. Bike B was the test bike. This was Kross Kountry's 2008 RSV with about 8,000 miles on it. Prior to starting the test we reset the float levels correctly and set the fuel mixture screws. All indications were that the bike was running excellently throughout the test.

We began the test by installing new standard plugs in the test bike, then riding together for three tanks of gas over a variety of roads for a total of 412 miles. For the first tank, 150 miles, the ratio of fuel used A:B was 1.06:1, meaning that for each gallon of fuel used by the test bike, the control bike used 1.06 gallons. Tank 2 was 148 miles, and the ratio was 1.11:1. The third tank was just 114 miles with a ratio of 1.10:1. For the entire 412 miles with standard plugs in both bikes, the ratio of fuel used by Bike A to Bike B was 1.09:1.

At the end of day 1 we switched the test bike to new NGK Iridium plugs (the "Magic" plugs). For this test we ran only two tanks of gas for a total of 320 miles. Tank 1 was 159 miles with a ratio of 1.09.1. Tank 2 was 161 miles with a ratio of 1.05:1, for a total average ratio of fuel used by Bike A to Bike B of 1.07:1, actually WORSE than with standard plugs! But read the gory details below to find out why I do NOT consider that significant.

In effect, I believe that there was absolutely NO difference in the fuel used by the test bike with either plugs. In addition, Kross Kountry is a professional driver, and he feels he is probably more in tune to the "feel" of a vehicle than the average rider might be. He stated that he was not able to detect even the slightest hint of difference in the way the bike ran after we installed the Magic plugs.

All The Gory Details:

One of the variables we were not able to completely remove was filling the bike to the exact same level each time. We did, however try to minimize this by carefully using the ignition key to measure the fuel level; however, we did not try to check each other. In one case, I believe the slab at the pump was sloped, and I pulled in facing up hill, while he pulled in to the other side of the pump facing down hill. This was the first tank with the magic plugs. The slope was not real evident, so I ignored it at the time, but Tracy commented later that he wondered if he got a true fill since his bike came down off the "Full" mark sooner than before. This seems to have been verified by the lower than normal ratio at the second tank fill, where his bike needed more gas to completely replace the fuel that had not been added on the previous fill; the two tanks together should have removed that variable. In addition, after I shut the pump off for that final fill and re-checked my key measurement, it seemed as if I might have been just a tad too low, but it was too late to add more. I'll readily admit that only doing this comparison for two or three tanks is still not enough to average out all the variations we might have had in the exact amount of fuel added, but it is all we had time for!

Another variable that I introduced without thinking ahead of time was the weight on the bike. Most of the baseline test with standard plugs in both bikes was run with a passenger on my bike, but all of the second day was run solo. On the first day, about a third of the first tank was run solo, which would account for the closer ratio of fuel used than we got on the next two tanks. This, along with the issue above concerning the exact fill amounts, is why I do not believe the test bike actually used more gas with the magic plugs than it did with standard plugs - the reasonable fact is that my bike simply used slightly less fuel when riding solo than it did two-up. But if someone wants to claim this completely invalidates the test, well, I'd be hard pressed to argue.

The odometers on both bikes were consistently very close, with Bike B showing approximately 1 mile less over 150 miles. For all of the MPG calculations below, I have used the numbers from my bike, removing that small variable.

Here are all the exact numbers related to each tank of fuel during the test:

Day 1, tank 1 - 1/2 city riding, 1/2 SMALL secondary roads at speeds around 50 mph. Bike A took 3.873 gallons and got 38.73 mpg. Bike B: 3.647 gallons, 41.13 mpg. Ratio 1.06:1

Day 1, tank 2 - all riding was back roads, but somewhat larger and straighter than above. Roughly 1/2 the riding was under 70 mph, and 1/2 between 70 and 75 mph (as reported by GPS). Bike A took 4.249 gallons, 34.83 mpg. Bike B: 3.824 gallons, 38.70 mpg. Ratio 1.11:1

Day 1, tank 3 - virtually all was straight highway or freeway at 70 - 75 mph. Bike A took 3.418 gallons, 33.35 mpg. Bike B: 3.103 gallons, 36.74 mpg. Ratio 1.10:1

Day 2, tank 1 - open roads, 1/2 under 70 mph, 1/2 over 70 mph. Bike A took 4.554 gallons, 34.91 mpg. Bike B: 4.187 gallons, 36.74 mpg. Ratio 1.09:1

Day 2, tank 2 - open roads with two thirds over 70 mph and running the Talimena parkway at the end. Bike A took 4.465 gallons, 34.91 mpg. Bike B: 4.251, 37.873 mpg. Ratio 1.05:1

That's it - hopefully all my math and typing is correct!

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Iridium plugs are really only for lasting 100,000 miles. nothing more. the "special" ones with split cross diagonal eco fire are nothing more than snake oil.

My wife's Aztek came factory with Iridium plugs, they have 150,000 miles on them and still look and work good. THAT is their only advantage.

For the record I will say that I have NEVER referred to the NGK Iridium Plugs as MAGIC....nor EVER claimed to get better MPG with them as well. Actually MPG don't mean squat to me because it is ALL ABOUT THE RIDE.

For ME and MY bike I have noticed better performance; and certainly the plugs indicate that they break down at a significantly slower rate than regular plugs.

Bottom line is that I am happy with the Iridium plugs and will continue using them. It is MY money and I'll spend it on whatever the hell I CHOOSE. Case Closed.

Boomer......who knows there is no such thing as the PERFECT oil, spark plug,seat,or motorcycle.....but the Jury is still out on the perfect woman.:crackup:

For the record I will say that I have NEVER referred to the NGK Iridium Plugs as MAGIC....nor EVER claimed to get better MPG with them as well. Actually MPG don't mean squat to me because it is ALL ABOUT THE RIDE.

For ME and MY bike I have noticed better performance; and certainly the plugs indicate that they break down at a significantly slower rate than regular plugs.

Bottom line is that I am happy with the Iridium plugs and will continue using them. It is MY money and I'll spend it on whatever the hell I CHOOSE. Case Closed.

Boomer......who knows there is no such thing as the PERFECT oil, spark plug,seat,or motorcycle.....but the Jury is still out on the perfect woman.:crackup:

For the record "DITTO Here" :happy34:

Geeze Boomer, did we insult you in some way? Chill, man!

You shouldn't be upset by this in any way - you are free to believe whatever you like and to spend your money any way you like. I know I don't care one way or the other, and I doubt that others here do either. And I never tried to imply that anyone but me used the term "Magic plug". I introduced that term, and I like it to draw attention to the fact that many people insist on attributing unproven and unsubstantiated benefits to different spark plug designs.

The ONLY purpose to this test and my posting the results is to give anyone who cares some relatively solid and "proven" facts to use in making up their own mind about which plug they might want to spend their own money on. When they read or hear someone else state as a fact that any "Magic" plug improves fuel economy, they should know enough to ignore that false claim. And I use quotes on the word "proven" simply because I realize that even this test, which effectively proves it for me, is not a controlled scientific test.

Edited by V7Goose

Geeze Boomer, did we insult you in some way? Chill, man!

You shouldn't be upset by this in any way - you are free to believe whatever you like and to spend your money any way you like. I know I don't care one way or the other, and I doubt that others here do either. And I never tried to imply that anyone but me used the term "Magic plug". I introduced that term, and I like it to draw attention to the fact that many people insist on attributing unproven and unsubstantiated benefits to different spark plug designs.

The ONLY purpose to this test and my posting the results is to give anyone who cares some relatively solid and "proven" facts to use in making up their own mind about which plug they might want to spend their own money on. When they read or hear someone else state as a fact that any "Magic" plug improves fuel economy, they should should know enough to ignore that false claim. And I use quotes on the word "proven" simply because I realize that even this test, which effectively proves it for me, is not a controlled scientific test.

No problem here Goose....I jest get a little testy when folks insinuate that just because I'm no professional rider I don't know what is best for me or my scoot. It's like someone telling me "I'm from the Goobermint and I'm here to help":crackup:

Boomer......riding along with Iridium plugs, Synthetic oil, Butler seat mod, and Jim Beam in the saddlebags.:happy34:

Boomer......riding along with Iridium plugs, Synthetic oil, Butler seat mod, and Jim Beam in the saddlebags.:happy34:

OK, I just can't hold this one back - there may be no accounting for taste, but that stuff is just VILE! Nasty, gross, vile, rank, course, terrible stuff! There are LOTS of good whiskeys out there (and even a couple of bourbons that are drinkable), but that bong-water just ain't one of 'em!

But what does I know? I's just a pantie-waist fly boy, so you keep drinkin' your Beam and I'll buy the good stuff you pass up. :cool10::rotf::stickpoke:

Cheers, my friend,and keep riding safe.

Goose - who's been know to take a nip or two.

OK, I just can't hold this one back - there may be no accounting for taste, but that stuff is just VILE! Nasty, gross, vile, rank, course, terrible stuff! There are LOTS of good whiskeys out there (and even a couple of bourbons that are drinkable), but that bong-water just ain't one of 'em!

But what does I know? I's just a pantie-waist fly boy, so you keep drinkin' your Beam and I'll buy the good stuff you pass up. :cool10::rotf::stickpoke:

Cheers, my friend,and keep riding safe.

Goose - who's been know to take a nip or two.

ROFL!!! Lemme guess....Scotch drinker?

Boomer......who thinks Scotch is great.....for cleaning urinals.:crackup:

Thanks Again

I Had a great time this weekend, and managed to learn a great deal about my RSV. Just to share the info, all of my carb floats were set way too high from the factory. And the last dealer to mess with my air/fuel mixture set one carb way richer than the other three. Goose did explain to me that two of the four carbs have a different jet size so there will be some variation in the settings. At the end of the day I can say that my big RSV starts better and runs smoother than it ever has. And as for fuel milage, I averaged about 34 mpg on my way to the test and 38 mpg on the way home (70-75 mph highway). As for the original plugs that came out of my bike, they looked perfectly normal and were probably good for another 4000 miles. Based on reading the old spark plugs, I would not have concidered it neccessary to check my floats or carbs. Thankfully, Gooose has a history with the factory settings and indeed they were all too high and no two the same. Most likely all of my increase in fuel milage was do to proper carb settings and not new sparkplugs. For anyone who thanks my mpg is low, I'm not an old guy, I tend to ride it like I stole it. For those who have a newer RSV, my bike was running good before this. Don't think that you have to rush out and get your carbs checked. But the next time you get a chance to go to a work day, take advantage of all the knowledge that our experinced members have to offer. Don't be afraid to wrench on your own bike and don't assume that the dealer knows everything. It's a very simple beast and those little things that you learn may save your next road trip. Thanks again to V7Goose and his wife for having me in there home, they were wonderful host.

:clap2: Tracy B. , aka Kross Kountry

Thanks Again

I Had a great time this weekend, and managed to learn a great deal about my RSV. Just to share the info, all of my carb floats were set way too high from the factory. And the last dealer to mess with my air/fuel mixture set one carb way richer than the other three. Goose did explain to me that two of the four carbs have a different jet size so there will be some variation in the settings. At the end of the day I can say that my big RSV starts better and runs smoother than it ever has. And as for fuel milage, I averaged about 34 mpg on my way to the test and 38 mpg on the way home (70-75 mph highway). As for the original plugs that came out of my bike, they looked perfectly normal and were probably good for another 4000 miles. Based on reading the old spark plugs, I would not have concidered it neccessary to check my floats or carbs. Thankfully, Gooose has a history with the factory settings and indeed they were all too high and no two the same. Most likely all of my increase in fuel milage was do to proper carb settings and not new sparkplugs. For anyone who thanks my mpg is low, I'm not an old guy, I tend to ride it like I stole it. For those who have a newer RSV, my bike was running good before this. Don't think that you have to rush out and get your carbs checked. But the next time you get a chance to go to a work day, take advantage of all the knowledge that our experinced members have to offer. Don't be afraid to wrench on your own bike and don't assume that the dealer knows everything. It's a very simple beast and those little things that you learn may save your next road trip. Thanks again to V7Goose and his wife for having me in there home, they were wonderful host.

WOW a float job too I'm jealous... Only if Texas was closer to Michigan Dang It. Looks like my float job will be MD-2011 after camping in Iraq 2010. :thumbsup:

Thanks Again

I'll bet Goose sneaked in a set of Iridium plugs on yer scoot when ya wasn't lookin......:crackup:

Boomer.....who ain't a Flyboy and don't drink Scotch.:happy65:

Yeah, I drink some scotch, but the decent stuff is WAY too expensive. I bought a lot of it when I was working, but I'm just drinking old stock now. If I'm gonna drink the foreign stuff, I prefer Irish whiskey, but a decent Tennessee sippin' whiskey will beat it all.

But that toad squeeze you drink . . . eeeeyech! Ptooey! Blach! Somebody give me greasy rag to wipe off this tongue!

Goose

(who has a slightly more refined palate)

Yeah, I drink some scotch, but the decent stuff is WAY too expensive. I bought a lot of it when I was working, but I'm just drinking old stock now. If I'm gonna drink the foreign stuff, I prefer Irish whiskey, but a decent Tennessee sippin' whiskey will beat it all.

But that toad squeeze you drink . . . eeeeyech! Ptooey! Blach! Somebody give me greasy rag to wipe off this tongue!

Goose

(who has a slightly more refined palate)

Well to each his own poison my man. Every brand of Scotch I ever tried gave me nothing but 3 days worth of the "trots" and a serious rash in a place where the sun don't shine.:crackup:

Boomer.....who don't know too much about palate but is pretty good about using and breaking plates.

Well to each his own poison my man. Every brand of Scotch I ever tried gave me nothing but 3 days worth of the "trots" and a serious rash in a place where the sun don't shine.:crackup:

Well, THERE'S your problem!!!!! Yer s'posed to taste the stuff, not rub it in your shorts!!!!!!!

I know them Navy standards ain't too high, but I kinda figured even you guys could get that right. Sigh . . .

Goose

Well this has been quite an interesting and entertaining thread, my compliments to all the contributors! I’ve just changed my ‘magic plugs’ or what I call ‘designer plugs’ and here is what ‘I’ have found (dare I mention), mind you I’m not as scientific as V-Goose.

When I first installed the iridium plugs the bike ran well as expected with new plugs. I didn’t notice any difference in performance... likely because I changed plugs before the old ones started to fail and still looked good. Nor did I realize any improvement in fuel consumption.

I have now pulled the iridium plugs and after 20,000 miles was quite surprised to see so much wear on the electrodes, the gap had gone from 0.85mm to 0.95mm. At $14.69 (including 13%tax) per plug, that’s $58.76 CDN for a set of 4 plugs I don’t feel that I’ve got my moneys worth. To be honest I had expected to get more life from these plugs. I’ve decided to replace the iridium plugs as opposed to re-gapping them and think that the Bosh Platinum give me a good bang for my buck.

Charlie - who may just buy himself a drink with the money I've saved on plugs!

Edited by dragerman

Well, THERE'S your problem!!!!! Yer s'posed to taste the stuff, not rub it in your shorts!!!!!!!

I know them Navy standards ain't too high, but I kinda figured even you guys could get that right. Sigh . . .

Goose

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

you guyz are crackin me up here!!! co-workers are lookin at me gigglin & laffin at the computer and startin to think certain things related to old age are settin in!!

I know there is a lot of people out there that know how to drink crown royal. The problem is how many can do a valve job and adjust the floats. This comes from the pastor who has more thumbs than finger sometimes. PS I have to use the Columbus method of typing to. I have to find the key to land on it. LOL:innocent-emoticon:

• 3 weeks later...
uhhh... so what's this float and valve thing??? does it help keep the magic smoke in? (and magic smoke IS scientifically proven to make everything work!!! When it escapes your equipment, it fails)

In my experience, the factory sets ALL floats an ALL Royal Stars WAY higher than the specification. Setting the floats properly generally improves fuel economy by about 10%. It could have something to do with the magic smoke.

Goose