IGNORED

1st Gen Throttle ? - replace all 4?

jonsmyth

My '87 model has 80k on her, and I want to go touring. My #3 cable broke where it goes through the adjuster elbow over the carbs. Should I replace all the cables while I have to wait for new parts anyway? It looks like #3 takes most of the abuse anyway.

Also, is there any dealers who may have these cables on hand- most seem to have to order everything!

My '87 model has 80k on her, and I want to go touring. My #3 cable broke where it goes through the adjuster elbow over the carbs. Should I replace all the cables while I have to wait for new parts anyway? It looks like #3 takes most of the abuse anyway.

Also, is there any dealers who may have these cables on hand- most seem to have to order everything!

Yup, change all 4 & be done with them..... Not likely, that any dealer will have them in stock. But it shouldn't take long to get them in (as long as not back ordered).

:2cents:

If I recall, I ordered all 4 cables New, for my 89. Was about $40.00. Also you will have to remove the Upper left Fairing. The cable that is broke runs from the throttle grip, to the " throttle Joint " located Under the fairing. Then a second section runs to the carb.

Pull up the IPC, on any dealer web site, you will see the parts breakdown.

You have to get access to the throttle joint, open it, to replace the cable.

( unless your bike, does NOT, have cruz control, but I assume it does )

I have ridden 1st gens for over 300k and the only cable I have ever had show any wear is the pull one from the junction box to the carbs and I always carry a spare one of that.If it breaks you're doa until you fix it.If you feel the need go ahead and replace all 4 but I never did and never had a problem with the rest.The last time I bought a cable (#3) I think it was $20 at the local dealer.

My throttle cable, the "pull" at the handlebar, broke a month ago in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia (88 VR). No cell phone service within 50 miles of the place.

Replaced all four, and glad I did. Ordered them from BikeBandit.com, had them within a week.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Right at the left Fwd Carb, the exposed section of the pull cable. Thats where I first spotted the cable " fraying " About a week later it broke.

Bike had about 60K on it if I recall correctly. Anyway, its not a job you want to tackle out on the road somplace.

I removed the upper fairing to change the cables, I'm not sure if it can be done with fairing installed. Maby, maby not.

I removed the upper fairing to change the cables, I'm not sure if it can be done with fairing installed. Maby, maby not.

Some things are impossible; if that could be done I'd buy a ticket to watch the guy.

Some things are impossible; if that could be done I'd buy a ticket to watch the guy.

Thats why I reccomend, keeping a close eye on that exposed section of cable at the #2 Carg. Check it Often. If you see ANY Sign of FRAYING, there, Immediatly if not sooner, order a New Set of Cables.

I also keep that area coated with wheel bearing greese. And check it often.

I was lucky, I spotted it, during a week I was not going anyplace, just rideing around locally. Pure luck that I saw it.

Also at least once a year, Lubricate the Twist Grip, and Oil the cables. If your over 50K, and going to remove the fairing for any reason, Service that Throttle Joint, and at least replace the lower pull cable, ( only cost about $7.00 ) Much cheaper the a tow in and motel room, and all that stuff .