IGNORED

Venture motor awesome NOW!

buddy

The whole time I've owned this Second Gen. I thought to myself how it lacked power?man this thing is really detuned?

I sold my First Gen. and kept this one? WHY?

It ran fair or OK on our trip to ST. Charles MO. meet, we kept up with the group OK but not what I expected from a V4 motor. Coming home on I44 doing 70-75mph we were getting around 32-35mpg not bad for fighting head winds and some rain storms but still I expected better performance. Anyway after we got home I went out to ride up to the store and it would not even pull itself out of the garage. Found I bought some bad gas,after putting in fresh gas I did some testing and found my #3 cylinder was totally dead no spark... Well after my second Knee rehab again, I finally got around to changing it out,man that was a big pain in the rear.

I could not believe the power this beast has now WOW. my word this baby is ALIVE.. The Whole time I've owned this bike the #3 cylinder must have been dead! thats over 2,500mi riding time. WOW this baby is smooth.......

This motor is so well built you may not know you was on three cylinders...

If not for the bad gas ordeal I might have not known I had a bad coil.

And to think I was getting ready to sell this Second Gen.

Well I changed my mind NOW. Looking forward to ST Jude's next Month, really going to see how well this baby does on open roads!!!

Now I know why I kept it and sold the First Gen. Second gen. Rocks!!!

:thumbsup2:

The whole time I've owned this Second Gen. I thought to myself how it lacked power?man this thing is really detuned?

I sold my First Gen. and kept this one? WHY?

It ran fair or OK on our trip to ST. Charles MO. meet, we kept up with the group OK but not what I expected from a V4 motor. Coming home on I44 doing 70-75mph we were getting around 32-35mpg not bad for fighting head winds and some rain storms but still I expected better performance. Anyway after we got home I went out to ride up to the store and it would not even pull itself out of the garage. Found I bought some bad gas,after putting in fresh gas I did some testing and found my #3 cylinder was totally dead no spark... Well after my second Knee rehab again, I finally got around to changing it out,man that was a big pain in the rear.

I could not believe the power this beast has now WOW. my word this baby is ALIVE.. The Whole time I've owned this bike the #3 cylinder must have been dead! thats over 2,500mi riding time. WOW this baby is smooth.......

This motor is so well built you may not know you was on three cylinders...

If not for the bad gas ordeal I might have not known I had a bad coil.

And to think I was getting ready to sell this Second Gen.

Well I changed my mind NOW. Looking forward to ST Jude's next Month, really going to see how well this baby does on open roads!!!

Now I know why I kept it and sold the First Gen. Second gen. Rocks!!!

:thumbsup2:

But finishes 2nd to 1st Gen!!:rotfl::rotfl: :whistling:

Darn it. I was ready to buy it back.:crying:

Glad you gotter running. It must have started on your way home after we traded. Because believe me I was experiencing no problems coming to Springfield that fateful day in March.

Guess I will just have to keep this Wing for now. Ride safe and have fun.

first gens rule hands down theres not to much out there in the bike world that can touch one. I think i heard someone say 900lb rocket..if these were re geared right they would do 180 easy..should have kept your first gen:bluesbrother:

I had the 83 model Beast, faster than the one you have, it had the V-Max transmission and V-Max final drive unit. And yes I wish I kept it now.. The Second Gen. is pretty dang fast if not for the Rev.limter kicking in......

This story reminds me of a friend who bought a 750 three cylinder two stroke Kawasaki many years ago. He was always telling us how strong it ran, until he found out it was only running on two cylinders. He fixed it and took it for a ride and immediately put it up for sale. It scared the crap out of him. Those bikes were wicked in their day.

RandyA

I guess not knowing what you were missing allowed you to miss the dropped cylinder. I knew immediatly when I lost #4, I suspected the coil is going bad because it is intermittant. Dug into it and replaced the spark plug first plus did some testing of the coil and everything checked out good on the coil but like I said it's intermittant. So far the bike has been back together for 2 weeks with no miss, could have been a loose connection since that is the coil I connected my mini-tach to over a year ago. So far so good.

I don't envy you on replacing any of the other coils, they are located it the most out of the way place they could find. Did you have to pull the rear tire to replace, or were you able to go through the side after taking the passenger foot rest off? Reason I am asking is because I'm debating on replacing all 4 of them in the near future. Got over 100,000 miles on her and if I do have one that's intermittant the others could go at any time too.

Guest Swifty
I agree that the rev limiter and gearing are the primary difference between the first and second gens. Just add a Dyna 3000 Ignition module to take care of the rev limiter and a VMAX rear to correct the gearing and it will solve those issues. :)

If someone has done both of these things AND would like to make themselves known to me at the next meet that we both attend, AND would like to take a short detour with me on a deserted road.......just for my own research before the next purchase.

If someone has done both of these things AND would like to make themselves known to me at the next meet that we both attend, AND would like to take a short detour with me on a deserted road.......just for my own research before the next purchase.

Yep, gotta do the research!!:stickpoke::whistling::whistling:

Like "safety chrome" gotta have that!!:cool10::whistling::rasberry:

I did some testing and found my #3 cylinder was totally dead no spark... Well after my second Knee rehab again, I finally got around to changing it out,man that was a big pain in the rear.

Now send me your bad coil so I can check it all out and find what is wrong! Please!

Goose

Swifty, I was thinking the very same thing. :whistling:

RandyA

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRich [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=378142#post378142]viewpost.gif[/ame]

I ain't had no first gens walk away from me that's for sure. They have to try real hard to get away and they are only getting away because of the rev limit. Besides we look alot better than they do. :rasberry: :rotf:

:sign yeah that::cool10::cool10:

There are only two options of which I know to check your spark:

1. Insert a special tool between your plug wire and the plug that allows you to see the spark jumping a gap in a glass window. The best tool for this actually allows you to adjust the internal gap to ensure the coil and plug have enough energy to jump a specific minimum size, but you can get a simple one for just a couple of bucks at Harbor Freight.
  2. Put an automotive scope on the plug wire that will not only show the existence and strength of the spark, but also check the rest of the ignition system and compare each cylinder with the others.

You can always pull the plug wire and use a different plug held up against the engine to see if it sparks that way, but frankly, that will tell you almost nothing useful.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I guess not knowing what you were missing allowed you to miss the dropped cylinder. I knew immediatly when I lost #4, I suspected the coil is going bad because it is intermittant. Dug into it and replaced the spark plug first plus did some testing of the coil and everything checked out good on the coil but like I said it's intermittant. So far the bike has been back together for 2 weeks with no miss, could have been a loose connection since that is the coil I connected my mini-tach to over a year ago. So far so good.

I don't envy you on replacing any of the other coils, they are located it the most out of the way place they could find. Did you have to pull the rear tire to replace, or were you able to go through the side after taking the passenger foot rest off? Reason I am asking is because I'm debating on replacing all 4 of them in the near future. Got over 100,000 miles on her and if I do have one that's intermittant the others could go at any time too.

The way I did it was remove both side covers and center cover under the seat as well, then remove the coolant over flow bottle this give me the room I needed to get to the Allen bolts . Used a Allen wrench and worked my hand in there and turn little at a time , same for top and bottom turn a little at a time, The under side I removed nothing there just enough room to make you say some funny words but it went back faster.

I think it would be interesting. I honestly don't know how they would compare but would like to find out. I do have both done to my '99 and will be willing to compare them the next time we get together if we can find a good place to do it.

I think it would be interesting. I honestly don't know how they would compare but would like to find out. I do have both done to my '99 and will be willing to compare them the next time we get together if we can find a good place to do it.

So when you coming to Canada, you have not been here for over a year ! It's really not the far. :innocent::stirthepot:

He knows a few roads around here, sure you would have a couple as well. :Laugh: Yes the results would be interesting.

Brad