IGNORED

Zumo 550 update

Updated my Zumo 550. After I downloaded the update to my computer I put it on the gps. I had to pick what areas I wanted. I picked the 48 states but that leaves quite a bit off. Is there any way I can increase my memory to carry all North America? The update had a pop up that said that with all the new stuff that was included there wasn't enough room for all the maps I used to have. ????

Not sure whats up. Your Zumo should come with North America and when I upgraded mine to version 9 it just updated the whole thing.

May be worth a call to tech Support. Garmin's support is pretty good.

I beg to differ - I have found Garmin support to be GREAT ! I've had 2 incidents that made me call support and both times they were happy to help. Neither time did anyone ask when or where I bought my unit.

Call Garmin... the Zumo should hold all of North America. I has the 2006 maps and did the update to the 2009 maps about a month ago. It held the entire package. What you're doing sounds like what I had to do for my old Garmin iQue 3600 -- circa 2002.

From Garmin's website:

North America - Consumer Products

(for all Garmin products except Apollo aircraft)

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US: 913-397-8200

US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020

Canada: 1-866-429-9296

• 6 months later...

Just revisiting this thread after I downloaded the 2010 maps last night. Mine did the same thing,It said there was not enough room to Install all the new updates so after I explore different avenues I saw an article from Garmin that said IF I plug in the unit to computer,let it pair,then go to Start:computer:look for the Garmin drive:click it,then click voice files,then delete the languages you DO NOT USE,(do not delete your native Language),then you will have room for the entire N America update. SUCCESS.Hope this helps whoever comes on this problem updating there Garmin....BTW, I purchased the Lifetime Updates..Took appx 4 hours to download to my PC,(running Windows 7 and I-7 processor) then appx 1 hour to update to the GPS. Tom

Updated my Zumo 550. After I downloaded the update to my computer I put it on the gps. I had to pick what areas I wanted. I picked the 48 states but that leaves quite a bit off. Is there any way I can increase my memory to carry all North America? The update had a pop up that said that with all the new stuff that was included there wasn't enough room for all the maps I used to have. ????

To answer your question, yes there is a way. You can go in to your GPS and delete unwanted files such as all the different voices and languages and just keep what you’ll use. I called tech support and he took me to another site where we could link our computers and he was able to go into my GPS and delete enough files to make room for the whole download.

All this after replacing my unit two times outside of the warrantee... I sure can’t complain about their service! In fact the second time I sent my unit in they received it on a Friday and the following Monday I received the new unit delivered to door. Not only that but they also (at my request) transferred all my data to the new unit. Oh, and the 2010 update was complimentary.

To answer your question, yes there is a way. You can go in to your GPS and delete unwanted files such as all the different voices and languages and just keep what you’ll use. I called tech support and he took me to another site where we could link our computers and he was able to go into my GPS and delete enough files to make room for the whole download.

All this after replacing my unit two times outside of the warrantee... I sure can’t complain about their service! In fact the second time I sent my unit in they received it on a Friday and the following Monday I received the new unit delivered to door. Not only that but they also (at my request) transferred all my data to the new unit. Oh, and the 2010 update was complimentary.

Thanks for sharing your experience also. I am going to bookmark this post as I KNOW I will forget if it happens again. I was doing all this in the middle of the night and luckily stumbled on how to delete these unnecessary files somewhere on the net. If I were more skilled in writing it up I would post it under tips here on this website but probably the Zumo Forums has it..I just didnt think of that as this is my major source of Info! Bottom line is IF anyone runs into this problem,If Im home I will walk you thru it on the phone if necessary.