IGNORED

Exaust Gaskets for Collector

Just bought a collector for my 84 XVZ12. Looked up the exaust gaskets online for Yamaha origional. $20 each for the headers (4 needed) and $13 each for the mufflers (2 needed). Total $106 total plus tax. Seems a bit much for 6 metal rings.

Just wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket set available anywhere.

Saw the ones on Ebay. They look like the header to engine gaskets. The ones I need are parts 27, 36 and 41 shown in the picture.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd318/elagyrrep/0011.jpg

The ring ones you can snatch on E-Bay for 8 bucks 6 or 7 shipping of course. I can't find muffler ones.

Yup. You are right. They didn't look like the right ones but I cross referenced the part number. The pack of 4 (header to collector) is $10 on Ebay. Guess I'll buy them. Even with shipping all 4 is still cheaper then one from Yamaha. Thanks

I made mine out of soft copper plumbing connections. Cut to length and then took a small section out so that they fit the muffler and pipes.

Dick

Copper pipe with staggered half way cuts? Looks like this?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd318/elagyrrep/Untitled-15.jpg

Seen it done on cars before. Work well?

Just bought a collector for my 84 XVZ12. Looked up the exaust gaskets online for Yamaha origional. $20 each for the headers (4 needed) and $13 each for the mufflers (2 needed). Total $106 total plus tax. Seems a bit much for 6 metal rings.

Just wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket set available anywhere.

If that's $106 Canadian jump on them. Shipping and customs from the US will jack up the price significantly. I looked for aftermarkets for years and never found any. Finding any on Ebay is about as rare as chicken lips. I even asked the folks that sell the header gaskets on Ebay, and they didn't even know what I was talking about. That said, I did run across an Ebay seller about 6 months ago who was clearing out NOS dealer stock, and ended up buying him out. With 6 bikes to feed I eventually use them all. That was the first and the last time I've ever seen any listed.

After how do you tell if the gaskets are shot?

How do you remove the "Y" shaped elbows coming from the rear cylinders going to the collector? As in: out of the frame

Exhaust soot on the header pipes, or Y pipe adapters, is a good indicator.

Drop the collector, to free up the bottom end, undo the top end. Move the top plastic cover from over valve cover (if still there), rear master cylinder & reserviour out of the way (no need to disconnect lines, just pull out for clearance). Pull Y pipe out of the right side.

OK, tempted to ask if you're smoking crack!! Been fighting this thing about 0900 this morning. Pulledplastic heat shield, removed rear headers which meant the whole GD header bolt came out on htree of them, moved master cylinder, still cn't get it up!:bang head::bang head::bang head: (no not that!!!) the metal heat shield behind the Y connector is blocking it and I can't see where the heck that attaches. getting frusrated here!

Shazamm!! Got it of, too much fun for me to do for a living! Anywho, Paul (Rocket) thanks for the imput!!

Some may remember I had a heat issue which started some time ago, If you happened to see the pics in my maintenance issue album showing a melted heatshield you'd understand that things got hot down there, including my legs. hence my quest to get this dadburn thing out and find the problem. The attached pics show the joint between the rear cylinder headers and the elbow, seems rather rough, but I never had these things off before. You can also see a white residue on the inside of the pipe (same on front pipes). Is this a normal appearance? (24K miles)

The other pic shows the back side of the "Y", in spite of the flash glare, you can also see this white stuff on the weld from the top bolt to the bottom one, as though it has a slow leak leaving calcium deposits.

Would I be pushing it to say that I have a pinhole leak in the Y and would the seal between the headers and the Y cause some kind of blowby? Paul already suggested that the studs coming out when trying to remove the headers may have been a factor as well.

On the bright side, now I can fix (read "remove") that rattling baffle!