IGNORED

FOOD for touring motorcyclists

Ndiaz

Neither of us ever eat breakfast at home ( I know, I know) but when we bike, we always start the day out with a large meal. During our trip this summer, it didn't take us long to find the place with the most vehicles parked out front. Your right....it's usually the best place and most reasonably priced to eat.

We also found that the night before, we hit the local pub to find out where the best place for a meal was.

Can't beat a big meal of "biscuts & gravy" to start the day out right!

Guest seuadr

great article!

I agree with the author on the calander bit. In town, there are 6 places to eat.

2 bars with food, one with a small seating area, one with a huge seating area. it's true! the larger seating area one has better food.

2 chineese places, One has a calander in the window listing local events, and another paper flyer type calander listing events from the county area. GREAT food. 8 dollars with soda for an all you can eat buffet. They have steak and ribs often, so not skimpy with the food, either. The other place .. it's changed owners 2 or 3 times in the past couple years.

There is also a little street hotdog vendor, he's got a calander on either side of his cart, and a little stand calander next to his menu. They are packed with local events like garage bands and poetry readings, etc. his prices are GREAT, given the quality of food he offers. it's just two guys that run the place, both work every day. 7 days a week, they are out there offering up 20 different styles of hotdogs, sausages, and bratwursts. They use brandname meats like kogel (MMMMMMMM) and a hotdog combo which is the dog, chips and a drink, and unlimited toppings (they've got probably 10 different mustards alone!) is three bucks. 3.50 for a sausage combo, 3.75 for a brat combo. they also have different "styles" like coney and virginian which sometimes cost a little extra.

The last place is a little local place called "Dawns Diner" it's actually i think an exception to you "Home Cooking" rule, but it's a little different style of business so that may be why. You see, Dawns is only open till 12 noon. They open at I believe 6am. They are PACKED solid untill they close. Great breakfast specials, although they do serve a full menu while they are open. it's so small and slow around here, i suspect they close at 12 to cut costs so they can stay open.

I really like this article. It seems the best memories of a trip are finding the 'hidden gems' of food in out of the way places. A few clues I have found that works:

1) Buicks parked outside generally mean they have good coffee.

2) Bars next to factories have decent 'bar food'. Burgers, fries, occasional bonus of pork tenderloins or the like.

3) A tractor parked outside marks a definate place to eat. You will get more food for your dollar and it will generally be pretty good.

4) Lots of bikes parked outside takes some further evaluation - Lots of Harleys generally means decent food and cheap beer (not valid reasoning for breakfast), lots of BMWs and other touring machines doesn't mean anything. They are from out of the area and were just guessing.

5) Asking locals has ALWAYS provided a good place to eat. I even had one local who just came out of a restaraunt recommend a different place than she just ate in. It was the best road meal I have ever had.

6) A place out in the middle of nowhere that has a decent number of vehicles will generally be good. If they can survive not being in an area of good traffic flow, they must have something going for them.

Thanks for writing these articles. I find them entertaining and informative.

Ride on.

RR

great article!

The last place is a little local place called "Dawns Diner" it's actually i think an exception to you "Home Cooking" rule, but it's a little different style of business so that may be why. You see, Dawns is only open till 12 noon. They open at I believe 6am. They are PACKED solid untill they close. Great breakfast specials, although they do serve a full menu while they are open. it's so small and slow around here, i suspect they close at 12 to cut costs so they can stay open.

+1 on the breakfast only place - forgot about that. If they can survive on breakfast only, they have to be good.

RR