IGNORED

Deceleration Whining

Guest hgiles747@yahoo.com

Guest hgiles747@yahoo.com

I am new to this "Post New Thread" thing but for better or worse, here goes.

I have just picked up a first generation (88 DUC) with almost 37 K. Runs absolutely perfect in all respect except one. The whinning when decelerating is not really too annoying. It is just that it makes one wonder what could be going on. I also have an 83 TC with almost 50K on it and it has not unusual noises when decelerating. The 88 seems to have the same level and type noise regardless of which gear the bike is in. I have been reading through some of the posted topic and I am totally convinced that most of you have far more expertise concerning the VR's that I. So, any thoughts and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. One procedure I will soon be performing is the drive shaft maintenance posted here.

Looking forward to anyone's reply.

Semper Fi!

hgiles747

My 89 does the same thing. Since New.

However, seem's to be louder now after 60K . Only on Deceleration.

I am useing 15W50W Mobil I. Seems louder with this oil.

You could try Castrol 20W 50W, might quiet it down.

Its has been my opinion that this is common with most 1st Gen Ventures. However I may be wrong on this.

On the way from picking up my 93 (about 100mile ride) I noticed the whine you describe. Was a little un-nerving but by the time I got home, I realized it was gear noise amd checked all the fluids. All OK. After reading here about the straght cut gears in the VR, It was obvoius to me that that is the nature of the beast. (kinda like the trans in an old Mac truck) I changed to Amsoil 20-50 Motorcycle specific and that helped a little, but still there after several thousand miles.

DJ

:group cheers:

I've had my '87 for 2 summers now. It has appx 140,000 km's. I'm pretty sure I have that same noise you describe. Been that way since I got it 2 yrs ago. doesn't seem to be a problem so I just eliminate that sound from my hearing. My '85 didn't have that but it had other sounds lol.

My 86 whines down, too, for the 15k miles I've rode it. 38K miles on bike.

Since recently redoing my carbs, tune-up, etc., it's now making a lot of popping noises when decelerating in gear.

The wife really hates that 'popping' noise.

My 86 whines down, too, for the 15k miles I've rode it. 38K miles on bike.

Since recently redoing my carbs, tune-up, etc., it's now making a lot of popping noises when decelerating in gear.

The wife really hates that 'popping' noise.

Sounds like it's running too rich and the exhaust gases are "exploding" in the collector. Do you have any cracks/air leaks in the collector coz if there are, it will suk in oxygen rich fresh air which might cause some afterburn also.

SilvrT;

Thanks for ideas.

I had a mech do the work...I had to remodel house.

When he got done with carb work, new tires, plugs, etc., he told me the 'collector box' was rattling from being jacked up [12 in. x 12 in. jack].

It quieted down a lot after about 500 miles.

I didn't see any cracks & can't test for leaks in system, but will check mixture to see if it is lean enough.