IGNORED

Vibrates going up hill in 5th gear

Guest RJBuffett

Guest RJBuffett

I did a 8 day trip to New England this year with my wife so the bike was pretty well loaded down. I have noticed even without the extra weight when I am going up hill in 5th gear when I give it throttle it really starts to vibrate and then stops once I crest the hill. Have just bought a trailer but will probably not get a chance to try it this year. I just hope with the extra trailer weight and the more I can pack if this will hurt the bike. Does anyone else notice the vibration when accelerating up hill?

Guest BluesLover

This may be a stupid question, but did you try gearing down to 4th? These things, with the 4 cylinders, have a ton of power, and sometimes I find myself still riding it like I do my V-Twin... and she needs to be revved up.

Cheers,

At 100kph don't think it is a good idea to gear down to 4th.

Don't exactly know what the conversion factor is, but I have down shifted at60-70 MPH many times and have road at 80 MPH in 4th many times. More than likely the vibration you feel is the 5th gear bogging down. It is a true Overdrive. Try downshifting and I bet it disappears.

Your lugging it shift it down. 100kpa in fifth is about 2500 rpm way too slow for pulling hills. that bike will easly run 100kpa in second gear shifting to 4th or 3rd at that speed under load would be normal. Just rember its more like a Ferrari than a john deere.

Your lugging it shift it down. 100kpa in fifth is about 2500 rpm way too slow for pulling hills. that bike will easly run 100kpa in second gear shifting to 4th or 3rd at that speed under load would be normal. Just rember its more like a Ferrari than a john deere.

100% in agreement give that horse its head

Guest RJBuffett

Then I guess the manual is out to lunch, it says to shift from 4th to 5th at 31mph. I find with mine even at 60mph in 4th the engine is revving high, but it is much better in 4th going up hill, the lagging is gone. Thanks for all the good tips and enjoy the rest of the riding season.

5th at 31?? maybe going down hill. I agree with all the others - this engine likes to rev. Takes some getting used to if you've been riding V-twins, but don't be concerned, the engine will be OK at higher revs. 2nd gen has a limiter that'll keep you from going too high.

The manual is out to lunch on shifting points. My guess is that it's eyewash for the EPA, who doesn't like it when engines are revved up much. Supposedly makes emissions worse. They like rpms kept low, and it doesn't matter what other expense there is. Automatic transmissions in cars will also shift up way too early.

A good average guideline for shift points is: 25, 40, 50, and 60. That assumes a top speed of 60 mph; don't shift into high gear until you've reached your top speed and have stopped accelerating. If top speed is higher stretch them out, and if it's lower they can be shortened up a bit.

The manual suggested shift points are for the 1000 mph break in period. Even then I think it is way to low. I tried driving my RSTD that way when I first got it and was not happy. When I finally broke the 1000 mile point and started letting it run at higher revs it is a much happier bike. I agree with others here. I'll hit 3rd gear at 65 mph if I need to pass on a hill. This bike just gets up and goes.

I did a 8 day trip to New England this year with my wife so the bike was pretty well loaded down. I have noticed even without the extra weight when I am going up hill in 5th gear when I give it throttle it really starts to vibrate and then stops once I crest the hill. Have just bought a trailer but will probably not get a chance to try it this year. I just hope with the extra trailer weight and the more I can pack if this will hurt the bike. Does anyone else notice the vibration when accelerating up hill?

I agree with the others re lugging the engine. Another thing to check is the carb sync. When my carbs are out of sync the up-hill vibration is worse than when the carbs are in sync.

As already stated...it is the result of Yamaha's fifth gear engineering on this particular bike. Now whereas I fully understand that fifth gear on this bike is a true overdrive, and one that will serve you well if you will shift into it at 70 mph or higher...that is not how I drive this bike 90 percent of the time. Best solution out there for those who feel the same way...do the VMax change out...you won't regret it and if you drive alot two up or with a trailer in tow, you will find an added torque benefit in gears 1 to 5.

Been there...done that...and me like the results!

PS: I think you will like the change even if you just ride this machine one up, which the Venture is now my primary one up machine! Love the added torque in all gears!

Now whereas I fully understand that fifth gear on this bike is a true overdrive,
Actually as I understand it a TRUE overdrive is an auxiliary transmission. :)

The RSV has 2 overdrive ratios. 4th is .90:1 and 5th being .75:1 or something like that I don't have the exact numbers next to me.

Can someone correct me with my terminology if need be? I see the term "true overdrive" used elsewhere...is there a "false overdrive"?