IGNORED

1st Gen brake upgrade

Has anyone tried more upgrading of brakes then just the different calipers? The front disks on these bikes are pretty small by todays standards. I'm sure there are no bolt on bigger disks available. If you did this you would need to change the way the calipers would mount to get them to lineup with the disks.

My questions are:

Is there a front wheel from a different bike that would work that has bigger disks on it?

Is there a set of forks and a wheel that might work with our bikes?

Is it possible to drill a set of disks to fit on the bike?

Any other suggestions?

I'm not afraid to do the work any suggestions would be helpful. I'm not afraid to experiment.

320 mm Rotors from the '09 VMAX will fit bolt-on to the Rim. Also FJR 1300 from '06 or '07 to recent(Year needs to be double checked). That's what i would use. The 298 mm front Rotors from the Vmax/R1from '99 to '06 or so, would also fit bolt on. But bigger is better.

But you need to fab two Brackets to move the Calipers , so why bothering with the smaller Disc anyway.

Other Fork Legs .... hmmm ... this might be hard to achieve, because the 41mm Forks are not that common nowadays. Also, the Lengt is a critical Point.

I'd just go with the bigger Rotors ...

Edited by Squeeze
eypo

An easier upgrade might be to install stainless lines, I couldnt believe the improvement in my 85 after the new lines went in. I can stop in about 1/2 the distance i could before and the brakes feel solid now. I didnt change and calipers or rotors out, just the lines.

the lines are about 400 bucks but well worth the upgrade in my mind.

Plus it gives me peace of mind knowing that I am not relying on a 25 year old rubber line to hold my brake pressure in an emergency stop.

Brian

An easier upgrade might be to install stainless lines, I couldnt believe the improvement in my 85 after the new lines went in. I can stop in about 1/2 the distance i could before and the brakes feel solid now. I didnt change and calipers or rotors out, just the lines.

the lines are about 400 bucks but well worth the upgrade in my mind.

Plus it gives me peace of mind knowing that I am not relying on a 25 year old rubber line to hold my brake pressure in an emergency stop.

Brian

Iirc, Jimbob has already stellbraided Bake Lines. A well as R1 Calipers, a different Brake Mastercylinder and he splitted the Brakes.

But you're right, steel Braided Brake Lines are a must for our old Bikes. But 400 CAD ?? Sound a bit steep to me.

Yea I have all of that HH pads SS lines (which thru a friend cost bout 150 us) R1/R6 calipers, Gsx750 master, it stops better then it did linked and all of that but I'm looking for better. Bigger disks is what I'm going for ours in my opinion are to small. Vmax,FJR rotors Thanks Squeeze! Your the man. What would this site do without you. Now to find some. I love the bike but want even more performance and since it almost 20 years old I dont feel bad tinkering with it.

Squeeze hows that fuel injection project coming for the Venture? I have access to a couple of wrecked Suzuki GSX's and R6 thier injectors and other parts.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Yea I have all of that HH pads SS lines (which thru a friend cost bout 150 us) R1/R6 calipers, Gsx750 master, it stops better then it did linked and all of that but I'm looking for better. Bigger disks is what I'm going for ours in my opinion are to small. Vmax,FJR rotors Thanks Squeeze! Your the man. What would this site do without you. Now to find some. I love the bike but want even more performance and since it almost 20 years old I dont feel bad tinkering with it.

Squeeze hows that fuel injection project coming for the Venture? I have access to a couple of wrecked Suzuki GSX's and R6 thier injectors and other parts.

Really go for the 320mm Rotors. There's about 15 Percent more stopping Power in them versus the 298 mm Disks. You'll need to machine Brackets anyway. It's not too hard to make them happen. Use T6061 or T7075 Aluminium.

The EFI is on hold, i ain't got no Time for anything this Year. TB's(2004 R1) are sorted out and i need to make the Linkages fit. A Lot of machining left, mostly on the Lathe. Extension Adapters for Vacuum Chambers, Brackets for the Throttle Cables and on ... The small Stuff takes a Lot Time if you want to do it right. The Connection to the V-Boost Manifolds is ready to go. I figure, that'll be around 10 to 15 Hours on the Machines.

What the Site would do without me ?? The Informations would just come in a little later ...:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Wow, I never thought of my '86 VR as being weak in braking at all. It can haul down really quick.

Good disks/pads and fresh fluid should give you about all the brake you can use.

Maybe you need to work on your grip strength and ankle exercises? :)

It just came to my Mind, i might have a fitting Set of Yamaha Rotors lying in the Closet for you. They're off a MT-01, but that doesn't matter at all. I'll check on Monday and give you a shout. If that's within you Time Frame ...

Wow, I never thought of my '86 VR as being weak in braking at all. It can haul down really quick.

Good disks/pads and fresh fluid should give you about all the brake you can use.

Well, with ALL due Respect....

You don't know the Difference.

If you believe your stock Brake gives you so much Braking Power, you'd be able to stop on the Corner of Dime with modern Brakes. Not on the Dime itself, just on the near Corner.

Well compared to other bikes it's not very good Modern Harleys stop better.

But you're right, steel Braided Brake Lines are a must for our old Bikes. But 400 CAD ?? Sound a bit steep to me.

Nope, $400. USD for all flex lines (brake & clutch), sealing washers for the Mk 1 & added bleeder point at steering neck, Mk 2 is about $300. USD.......

Well Squeeze and JimBob, with all due respect.

I have ridden a new Glide and it wasn't that much different. I am an instructor for several car clubs for track days, and understand and know good brakes.

If you can get to the limit of your tires adhesion, and control the brakes at that point, you are doing as well as you can do.

Most problems with brakes are with maintenance, or pad choice or how they were broken in or used.

Many times bigger brakes give you a bit more thermal capacity, but not much more braking capability, sometimes NO extra capability.

Now if you are talking taking your RSV or VR on a road racing track for a long session, then yes, give me all the brakes I can get, but I doubt that is the point.

go for it if you want more brakes, but my '86 has great brakes.

Well Squeeze and JimBob, with all due respect.

I have ridden a new Glide and it wasn't that much different. I am an instructor for several car clubs for track days, and understand and know good brakes.

If you can get to the limit of your tires adhesion, and control the brakes at that point, you are doing as well as you can do.

Most problems with brakes are with maintenance, or pad choice or how they were broken in or used.

Many times bigger brakes give you a bit more thermal capacity, but not much more braking capability, sometimes NO extra capability.

Now if you are talking taking your RSV or VR on a road racing track for a long session, then yes, give me all the brakes I can get, but I doubt that is the point.

go for it if you want more brakes, but my '86 has great brakes.

Duelly noted sir. I appreciate all the input I can get.