IGNORED

Bad MPG and Carbs

juggler

I don't mean to steal this thread or argue, but....

But you did.... Didn't you?

The harder you work any machine, the sooner it wears out, right?

Not neccessarily. Over stressing and neglect will. Many factors cause premature engine failure, but normal designed usuage during it's life time is not a contributing factor. Babying a machine will cause more harm than good. The V4 Venture is designed to run at high rev's, keep the R's down and lug it and it isn't going to stay happy.

I always thought that is why we all want the car that was driven only on Sundays, by a little old lady, back and forth to Church.

Maybe you do, but I'll pass. Acids have built up in the oil. Carbon has built up in the heads and rings. Valves are sticking. Bearing surfaces have dried out. Gas is old. Nah... the little ol' lady from pasadena can keep her garage queen.... Give me a bike with normal yearly milage and maintenence.

Black Owl and I synced the carbs today to see if that makes any difference. They really didn't need much adjustment. Only 1 & 2 were a little off. After syncing those the rest just lined up fine.

Saturday's riding didn't show any improvements in MPG (35 mpg), but the gas smell from the exhaust was gone. And there was only one backfire the whole day, normally it backfires all the time.

Someone else post a thread about how they get 40mpg and a riding partner saw close to 50mpg. There has got to something really whacked out on these carbs to be off that much.

Black Owl and I synced the carbs today to see if that makes any difference. They really didn't need much adjustment. Only 1 & 2 were a little off. After syncing those the rest just lined up fine.

Saturday's riding didn't show any improvements in MPG (35 mpg), but the gas smell from the exhaust was gone. And there was only one backfire the whole day, normally it backfires all the time.

Someone else post a thread about how they get 40mpg and a riding partner saw close to 50mpg. There has got to something really whacked out on these carbs to be off that much.

Juggler,

You and I need to set a date to take a ride down to Gooses digs and have a carb maintenance/learning day and learn a little more about these machines. :thumbsup2:

Juggler,

You and I need to set a date to take a ride down to Gooses digs and have a carb maintenance/learning day and learn a little more about these machines. :thumbsup2:

Goose adjusted my float levels and so far I have managed about another 3 mpg. Happy with that since it only cost me a 12 pack of beer and an afternoon of time.