IGNORED

michelin or avon

Caveman

I like the Avons and wouldn't use anything else, with the trike conversion now I only have to buy the front one now. I've been through 3 rear Avons with no trouble and 14k on the first 2, the third is in my parts pile from the conversion. From what I have read the few problems with Avons the manufacturer has made good on problems, Metzler on the other hand have far more complaints and seems fewer happy endings dealing with the manufacturer. Everyone seems to be pretty passionate about thier favorite tire so find one you like. Just my .02 worth.

Don't get me wrong Gunny, I like the Venoms too, and I wouldn't run a Metzler on a bet. I did say the Mitchellins are an option because of the sidewall problems Avon has been having.... You may not have had any side wall cracking, but plenty of our members have. And it's enough to sway my thinking....

so far you 3 are the only "bad" I've heard about Metz's I've had them on two bike's Worn out 2 sets and traded the bike w/ a new set and I have them on my rstd, not one problem and getting good wear I comute 80 miles a day all interstate sorry you guy's have bad luck

I am suprised you have not had a comments back yet. There have been a lot more than a couple have problems with Metzlers coming apart and they have not had any good response from Metzler reps. I ran one set of Metzler 880's on my 1st gen and did not have problems, but they got as noisy as a tractor tire with some miles on them.

RandyA

Has anyone read about the Dunlop Sport max Q2? From the article I read sounds like a good tire for sport touring and touring as the middle compound is hard rubber with soft sholders for cornering. Will be out in market summer of 09 and no mention of price. I too would like more than 8-10 thousand miles from a set of tires. With autos getting 50-75 thousand you would think a motorcycle should get at least half of that.

I am suprised you have not had a comments back yet. There have been a lot more than a couple have problems with Metzlers coming apart and they have not had any good response from Metzler reps. I ran one set of Metzler 880's on my 1st gen and did not have problems, but they got as noisy as a tractor tire with some miles on them.

RandyA

I'm tired of warning people about those dangerous tires and terrible company. There is a TON of information here for a simple search. But I find the Metzeler lovers don't want to hear it anyway. So be it.

Goose

Most of the riders in our motorcycle ministry ride Harley's, and they wont buy any other brand of tire because they cant get them with Harley Davidson on them............Just goes to show you what is most important to them!!

I'm tired of warning people about those dangerous tires and terrible company. There is a TON of information here for a simple search. But I find the Metzeler lovers don't want to hear it anyway. So be it.

Goose

• 2 months later...

hi caveman

may i just say this about this tire debate. before i got the rsv i had a honda 750 shadow sprit. it came with bridgestone's, and when they wore out. i put me880's on front & back. this was the tire of choice that many of the shadow riders were using at the time ('04 & '05). when i got my '99 rsv in '06 it had dunlops i think on it. when they worn out i replaced them with me880's. i put a me 880 / 130 on the front, 'cause i'am a little short in the leg dept. ( i was not a member of this site then ) before i went to the '08 int. rally in canada. i went to the darkside with a bfg c/t on the rear ( 4/06/08 ). on (5/25/08) i installed a new me880 on the front. (i put over 22,000 miles on that tire). i now fun a kuhmo c/t on the rear and just installed a avon corba on the front ( both are radials). what i'am trying to say is I NEVER HAD ANY ISSUSES WITHE THE ME880'S. but some folks HAVE. THE COMBO I'AM RUNNIG NOW WORKS FOR ME & I AM HAPPY WITH IT.

what ever you tire brand you buy i wish you well.

don c.

I just ordered a set of Avon's from SW Moto. If they are as good as everyone says, then I am sure I'll be happy. The only question I had was: The owners manuel says 150/80 HR16 and 150/90 HR15 and the only ones SW Moto had were AVON AM41 150/80-16 VENOM FRONT

AVON AM42 150/90HB15 VENOM REAR .

Sure hope I'm good. If not I'll be paying return shipping fees!

Ben

Your good, the AM41 and AM42 are the correct tires....

I just ordered a set of Avon's from SW Moto. If they are as good as everyone says, then I am sure I'll be happy. The only question I had was: The owners manuel says 150/80 HR16 and 150/90 HR15 and the only ones SW Moto had were AVON AM41 150/80-16 VENOM FRONT

Ben

Thanks, now debating whether to put them on now or wait til the spring. I don't have a garage, just a cover, and wondering if I want them on the bike all winter through the cold weather and snow. Any thoughts. I ride some during the winter, but not as much as I will once the spring hits.

Ben

I have run Avon's for over 10 years without a problem. However, I had a set mounted in late July of 2009 and the rear tire has a crack in the sidewall about 4" long. The manufacture date of the tire is the 45th week of 2008, so the tire is not old.

I called the dealership where I bought the tires and was told they would just have to let the rep. look at the tire. Then, I called Avon and they said as long as the tire was less than 5 years old and had at least 50% of the tread left they would replace the tire.

Ben

I just did an update on my Avon Venom purchase and report from last year. (Report after 10,116 miles in 2008 and run total of 16,600 this September with replacment of the rear tire). They were the same sizes and specifications as you mentioned. There is also a radial, but it doesn't seem to be recommended for the Yamahas. I also won't go into fat or small front tire. I did find it comforting that the Avon had a higher load rating than most of the tires being discussed.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24928&highlight=Avon

I kind of kept an eye on the discussions about some problems with some Avon tires, but I have heard that Avon has always corrected the problem with no hassle.

Don't know if this can be of help to anyone. I ran the Avons because I had good reports. I guess even a car manufacturer can occassionally produce a lemon with the various outsourcing going on. Check some of the various merchandise recall lists.

Ride safe and don't forget to check your tires.