Ok a couple of weeks to when we leave for the ralley. On the way to church this morning I lost 1st gear. 84 VR. Starts in neutral and goes up to 2nd and 3rd no problem. Most of the time goes to 4th ok as well and 5th is Ok. Once in awhile 4th is missing too. I shift back down and up again to get it. Was working fine and this happened all of a sudden.

I replaced the stator in the spring and had the shifter off to do that but it's worked fine for 6,000 Kms since then so I don't believe that is the problem.

So question is what could be causing this and what is the solution? Do I have to remove the engine and split the case?

HELP!!!!

Wayne

I think you might have to pull the clutch cover, and check that mechanism, with the Pins in it. One for each gear. Pull up the IPC, and you will see what it is.

Either George is right (most likely this is the Culprit) or your Shifter Linkages are the Problem.

If you pull the right side clutch cover off, look under the clutch basket on the lower left and you should see a round cylinder with 6 pins in it with some bent over metal holding them in. All 6 pins should be in there and the holders bent over them. If one or two are out of place, this is your culprit and you may have to pull the clutch basket to get them back in.

If it's the shift linkage, thats behind the middle gear cover (small one on the left side), you might be able to take a mirror and look up in there from underneath. The rear knuckle points down, the front knuckle points up. Could be binding up not allowing for the downshifts into first.

Good luck,

Dan

IPC stands for Internet Parts Catalog

Here's the Pic for the '83, your '84 is the same ...

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/YAMAHA/1983/Motorcycles/4522_shiftcamfork.gif

We're talking about the #7 Parts. Those Pins get loose and fall out. If you want to make an End of this, Buy the revised Parts off an 2004 Vmax or later. They adressed the Issue with updated Part.

Wow!! You guys are AMAZING!!!

Ok I went out and even with my limited skills I was able to remove the clutch cover and then removed the basket. You were right and a couple of the pins were loose. I just pushed them back in and rebent the little metal holder things to make them stay put and put everything back together.

Now it shifts like a charm. Got it all done in time for Bob and Becky to show up. Sleepy2 was already here and we all went for a ride. Hot dogs in Port Dover. Ice Cream at the Grand Island BBQ and great company.

Gotta love this place. I got home thinking I'd be down for weeks while I pulled the motor and rebuilt the tranny.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Brian: It is an 84 with 84,000 Kms

Wayne

Edited by Wizard765

So how did you torque the clutch basket back on?

I didn't know I had to. What I did was take the nut finger tight then went another flat using an impact gun then bent the tab back to hold it. It isn't going anywhere. I certainly hope I didn't screw anything up but it works perfect.

Wayne