IGNORED

Successful carb sync

Borrowed a Carbtune from VR member Magnum and did a sync tonight. Once I figured out (read the post properly) that I had to do the initial sync-ing from the right side of the bike THEN the left side, it was a piece of cake.

I did not have a tach, so I sync-ed the carbs all to 240mmHg. Bike was idling fine, but I tweaked it down a little to bring the carbs up to about 260mmHg.

Thanks to Freebird and Kbran to the great posts in the Tech section.

Bronson

How big a screw driver do you need? I knew I needed a long one, and went to Harbor Freight to buy one. 8" is not long enough. Clearly size, matters. How big is yours?

Dave

Dave, I went and bought a cheap 18" phillips head screw driver just for synching. You only need it for one screw, but it sure does make it easier.

Dave, I went and bought a cheap 18" phillips head screw driver just for synching. You only need it for one screw, but it sure does make it easier.

I have been to Harbor Freight, Sears, and Northern Tools today. HF had one that was 18", but it was supersized including the tip. Other than that, I haven't found a long screwdriver. :-(

Thanks for your reply.

Dave

I just got my scoot back from getting the I-basket swap and I had them sync the carbs while it was there... they were out quite a bit. I watched the guy do it and it took him all of 5 minutes from the time he walked up to the bike with the carbtuner to the time he walked away with it.

FYI... the I-basket hasn't made a lot of difference to the whine. It's still there ... at the same rpm but it's a tad quieter.

I just got my scoot back from getting the I-basket swap and I had them sync the carbs while it was there... they were out quite a bit. I watched the guy do it and it took him all of 5 minutes from the time he walked up to the bike with the carbtuner to the time he walked away with it.

FYI... the I-basket hasn't made a lot of difference to the whine. It's still there ... at the same rpm but it's a tad quieter.

Well Rick, i said it before and i'll say it again ... bring in that Vmax/FJR final Drive and your most likely quit with the Whine.

Until then, whine on .... :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Well Rick, i said it before and i'll say it again ... bring in that Vmax/FJR final Drive and your most likely quit with the Whine.

Until then, whine on .... :rotf::rotf::rotf:

heh ... maybe it's not the bike that's whinin... maybe it's ME!

seriously tho, you've got a valid point ... the Vmax final drive would put the rpm's a bit higher at normal cruisin speed but once I'm into 4th or 5th, I don't notice the whine much ... it's most noticeable in the lower gears and at slower speeds ... I guess I'm "with the sound" then rather than "ahead of it" ...???

I know that Sears has them. Maybe just not the store you were in. I've also seen them at Home Depot and at Lowes.

I found a 20" #2 Phillips at Home Depot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tank stayed on. Now my measurement of the lenth did not include the handle of the screwdriver.

I don't think I could do it with an 8" screwdriver. Maybe with experience. My hats off to you!

Dave