Have an 09 Tour Deluxe and have a rattle noise coming from the clutch. Kind of sounds like the noise you would hear from the engine from using low octane gas. Asked the dealer about and their answer was that it is common with these bikes. Said something about the plates in the clutch blah blah blah he started talking over my limited mechancial abilities. Was wondering if any one else has this noise and if they did what they did to get it fixed. Love the bike but would love to quite down the noise. Attached is a tech notice about 07 models about the primary driven gear damper changed on 08's from a rubber cushion to a spring type to reduce and I would assume they stayed on that course for the 09's or should I? Any suggestions?

The Tech Tip you posted is for the Vstar 1300 model vtwin, not the Royal Star XVZ13.

I've heard this a few times, usually on a very hot day after riding a while and then stopping and starting again.

As Randy already stated, that tech tip is not for your bike. Without actually hearing your engine, I can't swear if something is wrong or not, but your complaint is certainly not common for these engines (which have remained unchanged for 10 years).

As a starting point, I'd try to make contact with another Royal Star rider in your area to compare the bikes, side-by-side. If your bike is making an obvious knocking or rattle that the other one does not, you have a starting point for another complaint with your dealer. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Does the noise change if it is idling in neutral and you pull in the clutch lever?

My 98 Royal Star Tour Classic had a noise similar to what you have described and it would change or go away when ever I pulled in the clutch lever. Never really worried about it and rode that bike for 96,000 miles and as far as I know she still being ridden on a regular basis.

But it is hard to know with out hearing it.