IGNORED

Run to the North Wall

ibents

Sunday was the annual Run to the North Wall, where over 400 bikes rode down to the Detroit river to join in the ceremony comemorating the Canadians that served and died in Vietnam.

This is the article in tomorrows paper.

http://www.windsorstar.com/Cars/Hundreds+gather+Windsor+commemorate+Vietnam+veterans/1742251/story.html

God Bless our Troops

Ian

As a member of the Canadian Vietnam Veterans, I would like to make one minor correction to the information in the news article. There were over 35,000 Canadians (the ghost soldiers) that joined the US forces to serve in Vietnam.

There are also 7 listed as POW-MIA. One, from Toronto, is also the recipient of the Congressional Medal or Honor.

We almost equaled the number of Americans, 50,000 +/- that went to Canada to avoid serving in Vietnam. And for those that thought they had problems with gaining membership in the VFW, the Canadian Legion refused to acknowledge the service of the Canadians who served with the US Forces in Vietnam. Going so far as to call us nothing more than mercenaries.

Another interesting piece of trivia is the number of Canadian Vietnam Vets suffering PTSD. The last data I have was that less than 100 have been diagnosed with PTSD. Some feel that the low number is a direct result of the fact that we volunteered to go to 'nam as opposed to being forced to go by the draft.

The number of Canadians that served in specialty units, Helicopter pilots, Special Forces, RECON, Rangers etc., was also surprisingly high.

Black Owl......Down here Rolling Thunder sponsors the Annual "Run To The Wall" in Washington DC every Memorial Day.

This year the bikes filled the Pentagon Parking Lot and the last I heard was the number exceeded 800,000 riders this year.

Welcome Home Brother...... and please convey my heartfelt thanks to all those who served with us in the Nam.

Boomer.........Riding For Hero's and never forgetting Nam Brothers lost.

As a member of the Canadian Vietnam Veterans, I would like to make one minor correction to the information in the news article. There were over 35,000 Canadians (the ghost soldiers) that joined the US forces to serve in Vietnam.

There are also 7 listed as POW-MIA. One, from Toronto, is also the recipient of the Congressional Medal or Honor.

We almost equaled the number of Americans, 50,000 +/- that went to Canada to avoid serving in Vietnam. And for those that thought they had problems with gaining membership in the VFW, the Canadian Legion refused to acknowledge the service of the Canadians who served with the US Forces in Vietnam. Going so far as to call us nothing more than mercenaries.

Another interesting piece of trivia is the number of Canadian Vietnam Vets suffering PTSD. The last data I have was that less than 100 have been diagnosed with PTSD. Some feel that the low number is a direct result of the fact that we volunteered to go to 'nam as opposed to being forced to go by the draft.

The number of Canadians that served in specialty units, Helicopter pilots, Special Forces, RECON, Rangers etc., was also surprisingly high.

Thanks for the correction Black Owl, I don't know how many people are aware that the only memorial to the Canadian Vets is in Windsor Ont, it was donated by 3 Michigan vets who wanted to show their appreciation and recognition of Canadian's who fought and died in Nam.

Check out this web site.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5344/cvvm.html

Ian

Ian,

While I have never visited it, there is a second memorial in Melochville, Quebec. It was originally raised in Cote Sainte Chatherine in October 1989. Due to a land grab by the city hall, the memorial was moved to Melochville October, 1994.

There is also a moving memorial wall. It was on displace in St Paul this past June 13-14. While not as majestic as the US wall, it is definately worth viewing if it is ever in your area. It has the names of all confirmed Canadian deaths in Vietnam (a total of 121), the names of the 7 POW-MIA and the names of the 2 Canadian Servicemen killed in the UN mission to Vietnam after the war.

Ian,

While I have never visited it, there is a second memorial in Melochville, Quebec. It was originally raised in Cote Sainte Chatherine in October 1989. Due to a land grab by the city hall, the memorial was moved to Melochville October, 1994.

There is also a moving memorial wall. It was on displace in St Paul this past June 13-14. While not as majestic as the US wall, it is definately worth viewing if it is ever in your area. It has the names of all confirmed Canadian deaths in Vietnam (a total of 121), the names of the 7 POW-MIA and the names of the 2 Canadian Servicemen killed in the UN mission to Vietnam after the war.

Russ,

They had the moving wall at last years ride, it was a pretty awesome and sobering sight, as I looked at all the names I couldn't help being quite saddened thinking that they all once lived, loved and were loved, it seemed like a tragic waste of youth.

On one site for the Windsor monument you can click on the names and it gives you all the information on that particular person, their age, rank, when their tour started, their casualty date and how they died. I was very surprised to see that most only made it 1 year and there were a few that died the same day as their tour started, average age, 21, it was enough to bring one to tears.

Sorry if I'm ranting on a bit but this is something that I feel passionate about, as we are engaged in Afghanistan and have had our soldiers killed, It makes my blood boil when I hear these whiners go on about what our guys are doing over there.

The popular bumper sticker here is "If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them".

Ian

Edited by ibents

2 Canadian Servicemen killed in the UN mission to Vietnam after the war.

I have to look this up. I don't remember what happened.

I can't find this. Do you have a link?

Sorry Randy, I can't find anything on this.

Ian

To BoomerCPO, Black Owl, and all other vets who served in Vietnam:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Over the past few years I have ridden with our West Australian vets' and spent a lot of time with the "Patriot Riders" here. It took five years for them to get a welcome home parade!!!!

And that was achieved by Private Normie Rowe, an aussie singer, who was conscripted and served in 'Nam.

PROUD OF THE BOYS & GIRLS WHO SERVE :thumbsup2::clap2::clap2:

2 Canadian Servicemen killed in the UN mission to Vietnam after the war.

I have to look this up. I don't remember what happened.

I can't find this. Do you have a link?

The International Control Commission (ICC), formally called the International Commission for Supervision and Control in Vietnam (ICSC), was the international force established in 1954 that oversaw the implementation of the Geneva Accords that ended the First Indochina War with the Partition of Vietnam. It reported on the progress of the ceasefires and any violations against them. The force comprised troops and officers from Canada, Poland, and India representing the non-communist, communist, and non-aligned blocs respectively.

Although supposedly neutral, the members of the ICC often took sides in the Vietnam War (Second Indochina War) and even offered aid to both sides. Canadian personnel were known to have done intelligence work for the United States during their bombing of North Vietnam.[1] Actions such as these often led members of the ICC to become targets with several members losing their lives. Even with admissions from Hanoi, the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong are believed to have killed ICC members.[2]

With the signing of the Paris Peace Accords of 1973, the ICC was dissolved and replaced with the International Commission of Control and Supervision (ICCS).

I have been aware for some time that our Canadian friends have done more to stand with us than they sometimes get credit for. There was a Canadian forces major stationed here as a liaison just before I deployed. He spent a lot of off duty time working with the USO at the Atlanta airport, meeting troops coming in on R&R and in general being more supportive than most of us. He even asked permission, but was denied, to deploy to Iraq alongside some of our folks.

And since this is Canada Day, thanks to all our Canadian vets out there. Your sacrifices are appreciated and respected.