I finally got around to putting on the Mac Mufflers. They look good and sound too good. The spacing at the front clamp is too loose. Mac is too big and/or male bike pipe is too small. (please, no comments) What is the best way to rectify this? I'm sure it is simple if you know what you are doing. And that is the reason I am asking.

Iowa Guy

I'll be the first to ask a stupid question........did you get new exhaust gaskets for them?

Just askin'....:hurts:

Yep, sounds like the gasket sleeves are still in the OEM mufflers. If anything the MAC's are a tad to tight to fit over the collector tubes.. I had to expand the pipe on the MAC's to get them to slide on the collector of the '91....with the gasket in place... :) The '83 fit perfect. I guess it all depends on the thickness of the gasket wall??

Mine are leaking too..

Nobody stocks them around here,,Some crap about being "Special Order Item"..:mad::mad:

Somebody at MD told me to wrap #10 copper wire around the collector end and slide the muffler over that and clamp it...I haven't tried it yet,but I'm going to give it a shot....

I'll try anything once....:D

Yep, sounds like the gasket sleeves are still in the OEM mufflers.

I agree, he is not the first to miss this & probably won't be the last.

Exhaust Gaskets?

:confused24:

Iowa Guy

They fit between the collector pipe & the mufflers. The gaskets are about 1/8" thick.

I agree, he is not the first to miss this & probably won't be the last.

They fit between the collector pipe & the mufflers. The gaskets are about 1/8" thick.

Okay. Are the gaskets something that I can reuse from the old mufflers or do I need to buy new ones? If I need to buy new ones, are they something that I can get from O' Reilys or do I need to order from Yamaha?

Iowa Guy

:doh:

Okay. Are the gaskets something that I can reuse from the old mufflers or do I need to buy new ones? If I need to buy new ones, are they something that I can get from O' Reilys or do I need to order from Yamaha?

Iowa Guy

:doh:

You can reuse them if you're carefull taking them out. On the '83 I buggered one up and had to replace it. Found one at a local independant shop. Different material, but it works fine. I understand that Yamaha is now using that silvery material instead of the copper.

Yamaha part# 3JJ-14653-00-00 cross references to another number on boats.net.

http://www.boats.net/HostedStore.LassoApp?-ResponseLassoApp=cart.lasso&add=e3e5117348d74550a1c8e331f5d2a2736d111242e1aa4158&__utma=188097595.1971776803437916000.1234319002.1234319002.1234319002.1&__utmb=188097595.16.10.1234319002&__utmc=188097595&__utmx=-&__utmz=188097595.1234319002.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=47G-14653-00-00&__utmv=-&__utmk=78456596

Shipping was a little stiff but I had them in a few days.

When you install them put them on the header pipe first and then hold them in place with your finger while you slide the muffs on. Best fit was with the front edge of the gasket right even with the end of the slip on. I had mine to far to the rear and had to redo it for a good seal.

Edited by Snaggletooth