IGNORED

drive shaft seal

footsie

Today when changing the tire on my 04 venture I decided to lube the shaft, when I pulled the tire off, to change it there was very little grease on the splines.

when I pulled the rear end, the engine end of the drive shaft had very little grease on it.

So I tried to pull the shaft from the pumpkin but could not, so I took a pair of vise grip pliers and grabbed the shaft then tapped the vise grips with a rubber hammer, shaft popped right out, but the seal tore on one side. I glued it with epoxy, greased the splines( which were dry) and went to put it back together. the rear end was lying on the bench with the splined area turned down, and oil came out. It was dry of oil when I first took it apart. Is this normal.

Gregg

There was a small amount of grease in the spline area but no oil, the oil came when I turned the pumpkin with that end down the some oil ran up there. But most of the splines were dry.

GREGG

That's interesting Gregg, I thought there was a feed hole that circulated oil thrown off the ring gear up to the shaft coupling area, which would provide a constant feed. Where did oil come from when you turned the nose down? Could that hole be obstructed?

I say this because the early Ventures had a serious problem with dry couplings on the driveshaft and I thought Yamaha fixed it.

RandyA

Others may weigh in on this but here is my opinion.

I did the same this to my bike a few monthes ago and oil does run out of the area on the pumpkin where the driveshaft plugs in. I to had a puddle when it was sitting on the bench. There is a small hole there if you look closely that is supposed to let a small amount of gear oil into the rear spline area of the driveshaft lubing those splines. The seal holds keeps oil from migrating out and dust and dirt from getting in.

I still put moly on both ends of the shaft as most on this site recommended it.

I would monitor the area for leaks and watch your gear oil level as your seal may leak from being repaired. Hope this helps. JR

hi

may i advise to go head an order a new seal now. you will be lucky if the dealer has one in stock. awhile back i pulled my pumpkin and shaft out. just nicked the seal but wanted to replace it anyway. went to 4 area dealers no one had any in stock. ponch said he checked with 13 dealers and no one had any in stock. i have read on here that the seal should come out with out tearing but i have not had that luck. also inside the pumpkin were the seal goes in threr are 2 holes for the lube to "splash" up on to the rear spline's of thr drive shaft.

best reguards

don c.