IGNORED

Carb Overhaul Costs & Jetting

I have a 99 RSTD with 42,000 miles. I need to have the carbs gone through. Can anyone give me an idea of a "normal" cost? I live in west central Illinois and would like to have an idea of the cost prior to finding a shop to do this. Also, someone once said when I have the carbs gone through, I should have other then OEM jets used as it would increase the bikes performance. Truth or fiction? I appreciate any help/information.

Edited by Greeny
Misspelled word

I guess my first question is WHY?? Why do you feel they need to be " Gone thru" and WHY do you feel it needs a rejet??

Rejetting is only requiered if you do Intake mods and replace the exhaust system with something that flows better... IE More then slip on mufflers.

As for costs... I do all my own service so I really don't know and I'm willing to be when you start calling for quotes you will get responses all over the map... from $300.00 all the way to $800.00 or more.

Personally ... I would not just assume just any shop could do this and get it right... I would look for a shop that does alot of performace type work.

You may just need a carb sync... It did wonders on mine... I was shocked at how much 10 mins and a couple tweeks of a screw could make.

I have a 99 RSTD with 42,000 miles. I need to have the carbs gone through. Can anyone give me an idea of a "normal" cost? I live in west central Illinois and would like to have an idea of the cost prior to finding a shop to do this. Also, someone once said when I have the carbs gone through, I should have other then OEM jets used as it would increase the bikes performance. Truth or fiction? I appreciate any help/information.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/start this web site is mainly for the 96-01 standard royals with the smaller carbs and there's several mods you can do to your's to bust the power up some. i just had a eat and tinker in columbus, ms and did a set of carbs for a friend. if youdo it right your mpg won't change much at all. i get around 42 mpg with mine all the time when i leisurely ride it, but goes down a few mpg when i twist the throttle. you can read about the process on the start page of v-4 rocks forum. as stated before you may need a good carb sync, but some shops can't do it right. i checked a 98 tc that had been synced about a couple months earlier and they were the most screwed up set i've seen in 9 yrs. the bike smoothed out and started idling smoothly. if you look just below the chrome diaphram cover for a little brass plug with a tiny hole in it, your carbs have never been missed with or if you see an adjustment screw in it(prime mixture screws or pms), they have been adjusted. the k&n filter will help out some on you bike. there maybe some guys near you that can check out the sync of your carbs and see if that helps you out or you can attend the prk in the pines rally on labor day and get it done there and meet a lot of nice people oof this forum there.

:thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon:

The warranty book for the remove/install and clean says 5.6 hours. That's what Yamaha will pay for under warranty. So 5.6 X labor rate is what Yamaha would pay. As a retail customer it would probably be more.

Jetting is an entirely different proposition. To do it properly you're looking at 2.6 hours (warranty book) plus a dynomometer run for each iteration.