Greeting all!

I am having an intermitant problem with my turn signals. They do not work most of the time. After about a 45 minute rid, they will start to work. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned with contact cleaner. The hazard switch has been removed, sprayed with contact cleaner and replaced. These function the same as the blinkers. They work as running lights, just no blinker. I also sprayed down the connector for the blinkers. Could it be the realay?

I use turn signals ALL the time, even if no traffic around. This is just a habit I got into.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

I am also having a problem with my turn signals. On mine, they will turn off as they are supposed to, but a little later they will start blinking again as they were last used. It is annoying to look down and my signal is blinking when I know it kicked off earlier. I believe my problem may be in the flip switch as this did not happen before I changed the flip switch assembly.

RandyA

Check for loose connections. It could be you have a dirty or loose connection that tightens up with heat. Pull the fuse, check it, clean the contacts or maybe replace it just because. The relay could be binding until it warms up. I'd replace it just because, also.

Troubleshooting:

* Do both left and right turn signals act the same? If so, it's something common to both. For example, it could be the feed TO the switch but unlikely it's the load side of the switch. Relay, supply wire, relay ground wire, etc.

* If it's only one side, check the lamps for that side, check for corrosion in the socket, check the ground wire.

Greeting all!

I am having an intermitant problem with my turn signals. They do not work most of the time. After about a 45 minute rid, they will start to work. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned with contact cleaner. The hazard switch has been removed, sprayed with contact cleaner and replaced. These function the same as the blinkers. They work as running lights, just no blinker. I also sprayed down the connector for the blinkers. Could it be the realay?

I use turn signals ALL the time, even if no traffic around. This is just a habit I got into.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

My turn signals did not work at all, but my hazzard lights did work. I did not know I had a hazard switch until I found hanging inside my fairing. The book says to disconnect your automatic cancelling system to determine if it is the cause of the problem, but it did not work for me. After looking at the wiring diagram I noticed that one of the wires from the flasher unit goes to this system. I had already replaced the flasher unit with no change. For some silly reason, I suspected the new flasher unit was bad, so I tried the two prong hazzard light flasher unit in the three prong signal light plug. Presto my signal lights work. They do not automatically cancel, but I did not know motorcycles had auto-cancel so who cares.

Guest seuadr

Nothing useful to add about the signals, but man is that a good habit to be in.

bravo!

I had my hazard switch apart today and discovered the little copper pads inside the switch where the wiring is attached were pretty dirty. found one of the solder connections loose. Also, cleaned the small tits on the slide contacts. Also found fuse blown. Everything works now.

I had my hazard switch out last night and could not see how or if it comes apart. Mine appears to be riveted (for lack of a better term) closed. There is no head on it like on a pop rivet. could the plastic just be pressed on the metal post? I did get a bunch of contact cleaner spray in it.

Does the flasher unit look like one used in a car? I could not see any round units when I had it apart last night. If so, where is it located?

Bob,

I got your pm, will be gining this a try this weekend. Luclily, my brother-in-law is my local mechanical help and he told me what I need to do when I borrow his mulitmeter.

Thanks all,

Dave

Power for the Blinker, System, comes " Thru " the Hazard Switch, " OFF " Contacts. Also, the Hazard switch, can, sit between, on and off, then neither system will be powered. ( put it this way, if that switch is not in the OFF position, or if that set of contacts, is intermittant, that could be your problem )

Put the Haz. Switch, to OFF position, follow the cable till it comes to a " plug, "

The plug, has, 8 wires connected to -- Read thru the Br/y wire to the Br color wire.

You should read zero ohms, with switch OFF

then Use an OHM meter to determine, IF, the OFF contacts are Good. ie: zero ohms thru the switch.

I suspect you have and Intermittant set of contacts. OR--- Some Dirty male and female Pins in the above mentioned pull apart plug.

Its located behind the headlight somplace in there.

Also, check the Signal Fuse, Holder, for " loose " or " intermittant contacts "

Edited by GeorgeS

Howdy all,

Spent the better part of the afternoon in the garage. Had an inch of rain today so I thought I would tackle my blinker problem. It turned out is was a dirty hazard switch, cleaned it real well and sanded the contacts slightly. Thanks GeorgeS & AtlantaDragonSlayer. I went ahead and cleaned just about every conection I could find, blinker system or not. Used a dab of dielectric grease on them as well.

I am so impressed with the knowedge and the willingness to share this know-how with total strangers. I am truley grateful.

Thanks,

Dave

• 11 months later...