IGNORED

Went to my local Yamaha dealer and.........

tibadoe

I had some extra time on my hands so I went to my local Yamaha dealer to ask some questions. On previous visits I was unimpressed with their service department; but hey, I Just wanted to inquire and look at the RSV if they had one. They didn't have one on the showroom floor so I just looked around. Even though I know Yamaha is tight lipped on releasing any info on future models, I inquired about the 2010 RSV. I asked about the possibility of FI and colors. To my surprise the sales guy said they were already FI. I said no and he had to get the brochure to verifiy. I think I will check out the other dealers in my area. He did state that any new info would not be released until late September on the new models. I guess it's good to check around!!

I have a 2007 Midnight Venture that's paid for and I'm REALLY sure that the lure of FI won't make me beat a path to get one.

That being said, if my bike were a little older, more miles or just time for a change - you can't beat FI for response and to my knowledge - reliability

Unfortunately there's lots of dealers that don't much about our bikes. You're probably better off looking around. We've had a lot of guys have dealers that didn't know a thing about these bikes. Kinda scary actually can't go to a car dealer that doesn't know about what they sell, not sure how a bike dealer gets away with it.

Margaret

I went to my dealer on Saturday to get replacements for the caps and hoses that attach to the vacuum system on my RSTD. When we did a carb sync, we noticed one of the caps was cracking and brittle. I'll admit that I don't know what the two caps and two hoses are called or what they go to. But I can point to them on my bike.

I went to the parts desk, and the guy there didn't know what I was talking about, nor which of the dizzying parts screens it was on. Carb? Air induction system? Where?

I went to the service desk. The two reps there couldn't find it in the computer either. Nor the head mechanic. Three guys in the service department stared blankly at the computer and clicked more or less randomly. It was worrying.

Finally, I was walked back to the parts desk, where the old time parts guy kinda knew what I was talking about. He eventually found the "plug" (I think it is called). He never did find the hose on the other side, and that was worse than the plug.

This dealership was bought by the local Harley heavyweight dealership, I guess to diversify. They just don't know my bike, although they have improved over the last year. They are 10 minutes away from home, 15 from work, which is remarkable in huge Houston. I wish they were great.

At the same time, I wonder how they ever did the carb sync at the service interval (like they claimed they did), if the mechanic can't find the ports?

Dave

P.S. - if someone knows the right name and part number for the plugs and hoses, it'd be helpful. The hose needs replacement.

Walk into Napa and ask to see thier selection of Vacuem caps. They should have a box full of different sizes.. pick out what you need. the Hose is just a simple Vacuem hose cut to length. Not sure on size... but the hose and the caps will be same size.

I went to my dealer on Saturday to get replacements for the caps and hoses that attach to the vacuum system on my RSTD. When we did a carb sync, we noticed one of the caps was cracking and brittle. I'll admit that I don't know what the two caps and two hoses are called or what they go to. But I can point to them on my bike.

I went to the parts desk, and the guy there didn't know what I was talking about, nor which of the dizzying parts screens it was on. Carb? Air induction system? Where?

I went to the service desk. The two reps there couldn't find it in the computer either. Nor the head mechanic. Three guys in the service department stared blankly at the computer and clicked more or less randomly. It was worrying.

Finally, I was walked back to the parts desk, where the old time parts guy kinda knew what I was talking about. He eventually found the "plug" (I think it is called). He never did find the hose on the other side, and that was worse than the plug.

This dealership was bought by the local Harley heavyweight dealership, I guess to diversify. They just don't know my bike, although they have improved over the last year. They are 10 minutes away from home, 15 from work, which is remarkable in huge Houston. I wish they were great.

At the same time, I wonder how they ever did the carb sync at the service interval (like they claimed they did), if the mechanic can't find the ports?

Dave

P.S. - if someone knows the right name and part number for the plugs and hoses, it'd be helpful. The hose needs replacement.

Go to www.flatoutmotorcycles.com , go to their Yamaha parts fiche and enter the info for your bike. This will bring up the same parts fiche as your local dealer. More than likely you will find the info you're looking for under the engine areas such as carbs or emissions or so forth. Check their prices and then check your local dealer if it is not available at NAPA.

Dan

I called the local, (that is if ya call 45 miles local), dealer a couple weeks ago to get some bearings and seals for the rear wheel on my 84. I stated that I needed BOTH bearings for the rear wheel. He said there was only one in the rear wheel and there was one other in the gears. Again I said I wanted both bearings for the rear wheel. and again he said there is only one in the wheel and another in the gears. Then he asked if those are the two I wanted. I just said to forget it, and I hung up.

If ya look at the microfiche, you can plainly see there are two bearings in the wheel and two for the ring & pinion.

I ended up finding what I needed much cheaper here, (http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1984/XVZ1200DL%20VENTURE%20ROYALE/parts.html).

When I first got my scoot, I called these guys looking for a stop switch. I was told they have been discontinued and couldn't get one any more. I called another dealer which was twice as far away and was told they are still available and they got me one right away.

hi dave

i have the part # at home for the 'plug'. i do not have a # for the vacume hose but will do some poking around. last year at gigaiwiskey's md. lonestarmedic and i drove over to a parts house and picked up several packs of different size of those plugs. i will post the # as soon as i get home in the morning.

don c.

Go to www.flatoutmotorcycles.com , go to their Yamaha parts fiche and enter the info for your bike. This will bring up the same parts fiche as your local dealer. More than likely you will find the info you're looking for under the engine areas such as carbs or emissions or so forth. Check their prices and then check your local dealer if it is not available at NAPA.

Dan

I am sorry to say that even using the fiche, the part was pretty elusive. :(

hi dave

i have the part # at home for the 'plug'. i do not have a # for the vacume hose but will do some poking around. last year at gigaiwiskey's md. lonestarmedic and i drove over to a parts house and picked up several packs of different size of those plugs. i will post the # as soon as i get home in the morning.

don c.

I got the plugs, and if I find the packages before you do, I'll post the part number.

Didn't you buy the plugs at the Southeast Texas Maint Day in March?

Dave

The plugs are called Blind Plugs # 16G-13569-00-00 They are #3 on the "Intake" list in the fiche. The clip that goes with these are #4 Clip #90467-10039-00

Now, this is just a guess as to the other hoses. But there are 2 hoses on the "Air Induction System" fiche that look to be right and they show only one connection to the AIS.

They are parts #53 Hose (L685) #90445-09J2-00 and #19 Hose (L985) 90445-086K4-00. The clips that go with these are #54 Clip #90467-08092-00

Like I said, the last parts are just my thoughtful guess. Maybe someone else can look at the fiche and see if those make sense to them as well. These two hoses both go to the "Air Cut Valve Assemblies" on one side.

As others have said, however, you may just be better off taking the hoses into an auto parts store and getting some vacuum hose.

Good luck and let us know how things come out.

The plugs are called Blind Plugs # 16G-13569-00-00 They are #3 on the "Intake" list in the fiche. The clip that goes with these are #4 Clip #90467-10039-00

Now, this is just a guess as to the other hoses. But there are 2 hoses on the "Air Induction System" fiche that look to be right and they show only one connection to the AIS.

They are parts #53 Hose (L685) #90445-09J2-00 and #19 Hose (L985) 90445-086K4-00. The clips that go with these are #54 Clip #90467-08092-00

Like I said, the last parts are just my thoughtful guess. Maybe someone else can look at the fiche and see if those make sense to them as well. These two hoses both go to the "Air Cut Valve Assemblies" on one side.

As others have said, however, you may just be better off taking the hoses into an auto parts store and getting some vacuum hose.

Good luck and let us know how things come out.

Thanks for the reply! I might just go get the vacuum hose. Has anyone removed theirs? Do I need to take off the tank? If so, I'll go get some wire for running more cable-chases under the tank.

Dave

Hey Dave77459, not sure what side of Houston you are on but the dealer in Highlands (about 25 miles east of Houston) Tejas Motorsports ae a little better than most in the area, very knowledgeable and friendly group. They perform all of my service and I have never had an issue with them, some of their sales people are new and young and more geared towards the sprt bikes but I am getting them up to speed on the Venture when I can.

Hey Dave77459, not sure what side of Houston you are on but the dealer in Highlands (about 25 miles east of Houston) Tejas Motorsports ae a little better than most in the area, very knowledgeable and friendly group. They perform all of my service and I have never had an issue with them, some of their sales people are new and young and more geared towards the sprt bikes but I am getting them up to speed on the Venture when I can.

I had them change my rear tire--great prices. I went to their Dealer Bike Night based on your suggestion, and am looking forward to the next one. (Photographic explanation attached)

They are on the exact opposite side of town (I live in Sugar Land), so it is a drive. But I get that way occassionally and will stop in to give them business. The parts gal gave me her printed accessories catalog!

Dave

Thanks for the reply! I might just go get the vacuum hose. Has anyone removed theirs? Do I need to take off the tank? If so, I'll go get some wire for running more cable-chases under the tank.

Dave

Believe you'll have to take off the tank and the breather box (surge tank) assembly as well.

Went to another dealer (50 miles away) just to check them out and ask questions. They had no RSV's on the floor, said they we leaving as fast as they uncrated them. Said they worked on everything including the Ventures (all brands of bikes). They would even wash them up when finished so they are clean for the customer. They definately rank alot higher than my local dealer thats 15 miles away. I will put this dealer on the list to check back with.