IGNORED

unified rear brake: doesn't touch front disc

Guest primerib

Guest primerib

Okay, I've noticed after some pretty lengthy rides, my left front disc plate is cool as a ice on my 83 venture. First thought is that the brakes aren't working up there (the rear foot pedal controls both rear and front left brakes). Is there and adjustment in the system somewhere? I'm not familiar with these rear and front combined units. I tried finding it in the manual , but I see no adjustments. Maybe air in the line? Doesn't make sense.

Okay, I've noticed after some pretty lengthy rides, my left front disc plate is cool as a ice on my 83 venture. First thought is that the brakes aren't working up there (the rear foot pedal controls both rear and front left brakes). Is there and adjustment in the system somewhere? I'm not familiar with these rear and front combined units. I tried finding it in the manual , but I see no adjustments. Maybe air in the line? Doesn't make sense.

Possibly air in the line, between the steering neck & the left anti-dive. This can be a PITA to bleed as there is no bleeder at the high point at the steering neck, on these early 1st gens. Another thing can be a seized left front caliper.

I would start by Re Bleeding the system, pump lots of fluid thru the lft front, and rear. Be sure to replace all the fluid.

If that don't work, then you might have to rebuild the master, and proportioning valve.

how ever have not heard of much trouble with the proportioning valve.

Put the bike on the center stand add some weight to the back seat and turn the front wheel while a helper pushes the brake pedal and see if the wheel has any drag when the brake is applied.

I had to reverse bleed the left front to get all of the air out on my 84 when I resurected it.The bike had set for z

a few years before I got it.

Jeff