IGNORED

Rear Shock Help in NC

AKRefugee

Let me explain what has happened so far.

Wife and I rode 3200 miles from CA to NC at the very last stop of the trip before our destination we came out from lunch and found a puddle of fluid below the drain tubes near the rear shock. The wife thought it was water but when I touched it there was an oiliness to it. From then on the ride was rough and the bike felt low in the rear end.

Once we got to our destination I checked for dealerships nearby and found Forsyth Motosports in Winston Salem. I called them and spoke to the service manager named Alan. He "sounded" like he was familiar with the Venture so I took it up there. That was on Thursday. On Friday I had not heard from him so I called him. He stated that he had aired up the shock and it was holding air. When I asked him how much air he said 7.0 psi. I told him that was the limit (actually 7.1) for the front shock and that the rear was 50 something. He said that 7.0 psi is what the service manual said. I told him that 7.0 was wrong and that I would look it up and get back to him (should have been my first clue). I have an electronic version of the service manual (thank you for having posted that on this forum) and I pulled it up, read it thoroughly than called him back. I gave him the reference page (2014) and he read it. He than he told me which page he had gotten his information from (3046). I read it and noted to him that the psi was wrong because how could it be 50 kpa on the front and 400 kpa on the rear yet the psi was lower on the rear. I had to explain to him that it was an obvious misprint (should have been my second clue). He than agreed to pump it up and see if it held.

On Saturday I called him again and he stated that it had not lost pressure and that the was no evidence that the shock was bad. By than I finally figured out that I was wasting my time and needed to get my bike the hell out of there (thanks to those who replied to my earlier question). When got there and talked to him he stated that he had removed the boots (bs cause I have a tie wrap holding my air horn line that would have had to been cut and was not) and had not found any evidence of oil and that the oil was actually from the air box. When I aked him if there was ANY air in the shock before he pumped it up he said yeah very little but that when you took the air pumpoff you always lose a few pounds (hmmm must not have correct air pump tool as I don't ;lose any with my progressive pump). When I asked him where the air (I travel at 42psi) had gone and copuld it have displaced the lost oil he gave me a blank look and said "oh that could have happened". He also stated that he did not want to do the work and find out the shock was not the problem an have Yamaha bill him back for a new shock and the labor. At this point I got my bike and got the hell out of there. I will say that he did not charge me for adding air to my blown shock. I stopped in the parking lot and checked the oil level. It was at 3/4 of the glass. The exact same as when I changed the oil before the trip out here. I also checked the boot as best as I could and found a small trace of oil on the left side (keep in mind that we rode another 175 miles and through some very heavy rain after we found the puddle). On the way home I noted that the bike rode hardern than usual (I have 32,000 miles on this bike so I kind of know it.

So here I am in NC and still needing to get back to CA riding two up. This shock is blown, I have spoke with my friend Rod in San Diego and he confirms it. I have posted a question on the tech forum and the replies also confirm and lastly I have ridden this bike and that confirms it. i am to the south of Winston Salem and must find a dealer nearby that will use some common sense and get this shock replaced so I can get back home. The following dealerships seem to be my choices

Great Western Motorcycles in Statesville, NC

Midway Yamaha in Thomasville, NC

Interstate Cycle in Cornelius, NC

Ridenow Powersports Concord in Concord, NC

Any one have any dealing with any of these dealers service departments and how do I convince them that this shock is blown and needs to be replaced.

Thanks for your assistance on this. I want to get back on the road and get on home before the summer is over if you know what I mean.

Guest HdHtr

If you were down in the Fayetteville area I would have a dealer that I sorta trust I could get you to. Did you try looking up a member in the WinstonSalem area?

If I were you I would take it to Interstate Cycle and not fool with Great Western Motorcycles. I have heard good things about them and I no from experience that you don't want Great Western Motorcycles in statesville or Yamaha of Hickory to touch your bike. I just returned from a trip to California and back. Its a long way to ride without a shock. I had mine replaced at 22,000 miles with alot of argument from Yamaha of Hickory. Yamaha of Hickory and Great Western Motorcycles are owned by the same person and to them its just a job not a profession. They don't take pride in their work. I wish you luck and I hope you can get it fixed quickly.

I went out one morning when mine was about the same age as yours. Same thing, a puddle of absolutely clean oil right under the shock. Of course that is close to the drain tubes. I went to the dealer and got the same run around your getting. Within a couple of months it started leaking air so fast that within a half hour it was all the way down. Finally at that point they replaced the shock.

triad powewr sports is just down the road from where you are. They are located in greensboro Nc and I have had good results using them. Not sure how they are on the second gens but yoou could give them a call. There number is 1-336-852-4228.

I'm not much of a mechanic but if there is any way can help let me know. I'm in Mcleansville and My number is in my profile. Hope this helps.

David

The dealer doesnt know much about the shock..It WILL leak all the OIL out and still hold the air pressure..It will have a bouncy ride to it and the shock will have oil on it unless its been washed off by rain.