I swapped ( with Brians Help ) my 1200 with a 1300

got it all hooked up

It runs Crappy !!!! but starts instantly

the two cylinders on the right side are deadheads

you can pull the sparkplug wire off (either of these two) and cannot tell the difference

i am beat - I am not a carb genius, so it is kinda the end of the road for Coot & the venture

kinda out of ideas

The stealer in Regina wants $1,000 to clean and sync carbs and I sure as HHH do not have that

I will try swapped a couple of diaphragms from some parts carbs I have

I swapped diaphrams on the 2 and no difference

I got PO'ed at it a did ye ole WD40 down the throats- and wallaaaaaaa

motor raced for few sec's on both cylinders

so it is carb problem , but that does not help me much

I have had them apart and cleaned them -- to the best of my ability

I could take them apart again, but have no idea what is wrong, so that would be a exercise in futility , to say the least

I have another complete set of carbs, that I have cleaned as well

But I really do not have the heart to tear this set out and put the other set in -

I guess my problem is that I am not a mechanic and have no idea what to look for or where to find it or any idea what it will look like

the short and sweet is that it is a carb problem

as a PS -- the swapping of a 1300 into a 1985 went very well

I won't go into that as I had started to post that and was told the thread was worthless

Thanx for answering all my questions

Merv

If the carb sync is way out it will not fire at all on a given cylinder at idle.

Ignition good?

I'm not sure when I can make it to regina but I will let you know if I do.

We ain't even close to giving up yet!

You will have to assume that the Carb Sync is Way out of adjustment.

You can do a basic set up manualy. Not to hard go do.

First, make sure there is about 1/8 inch of slack in the Throttle Pull Cable.

Now Set the Main idle adjust Screw under the #2 Carb, ( left, forward ) to

" just makeing contact " with linkage.

then Set the Single " Sync Screw " on the left side. to " Just Makeing contact "

with the Linkage.

then on right side, Set the Forward Sync Screw to Just Makeing contact

then set the Aft Screw to Just makeing contact.

Now try to run the engine, and Raise the SINGLE, Main Idle Adjust, CW, ( UP ) to Increase the Basic Idle adjusment.

Re Check the Pull cable, to 1/8 in. of slack.

Hopefully you can get all 4 cylinders fireing.

Try this, and see what you have. ??? Next setp would be to start looking for Dirty Electrical Contacts. ( 1 st thing there would be clean the two plugs on the TCI )

Also, make sure the Vaccume ports, have the Rubber covers installed, and Check the Vaccume Line from the lft Fwd Carb, going up to the Pressure Sensor. Make sure its installed.

Also, Be sure the Carbs are properly Seated, into the Intake manifolds, this is always a trouble spot.

Wait for the help to arrive. Or at least some hints at what to do. Rocket may know something about em.

I just got off the phone with him, he is not getting fuel out of one of the carbs, via the drain (he tried this after I asked him to), it seems the other was getting fuel.

Well, it looks like in this endeavor of eating the elephant, you are down to the part near the tail.

I believe the best thing to do is bite the bullet and pull the carbs back off and go thru them real good, from the needle valves to cleaning and inspection of each jet, particularily the pilot jets. I am not sure what you have done in cleaning these carbs, but I have had people tell me they cleaned out their carbs and what they did was take the bowls off and wipe them out and blow air thru any exposed jets and that was it.

Obviously, if you are not getting fuel into a carb, you need to backtrack all the way to the tank. Does the filter have rust in it? Do the fuel lines to the carb look like they are breaking down and getting rubber into the needle valve?

I also agree with the carb sync issue. A badly out of sync set of carbs can run very bad, especially at low rpm's. You will also want to put a fresh set of plugs in and make sure your caps do not have corroded resistors in them.

Don't let this get you down. You have already done the hard part, now you are just working out the minor tuning issues.

Good luck and keep us posted,

RandyA

I just got off the phone with him, he is not getting fuel out of one of the carbs, via the drain (he tried this after I asked him to), it seems the other was getting fuel.

Has the fuel tank been Drained ?? Completly drain at petcock, maby change fuel filter, then start opening the 4 drain lines, and let the fuel pump run clean new gas with SEA-FOAM added.

Repeat the proceedure for a few days, several times, the sea-foam might clean everything up.

Also, Those Vent Hoses, from top of Carbs, 4 of them running down to the bottom of rear shock. They could be plugged at bottom, with road tar etc etc.

Make sure those hoses are not plugged, as they provide a VENT for each Carb Bowl.

IF Plugged, No fuel flow thru the carb. ( Left field possibility, But?? worth cheching )

Another possibility, is the Fuel Pump itself, it might be partially plugged, or working poorly. These pumps do not make High pressure. Might be a problem there.

One other thing to check is the fuel tank Vent Line, ( next to filler cap ) . Pull hose off,make sure that very small hole is not plugged. But if this was plugged would effect all 4 cylinders, -- But??, worth checking

Edited by GeorgeS

Hi Merv

If I remember correctly, Didnt you have a similar issue with the old engine?

If so, it would look to me like it is more of a fuel pump or line issue. Or something that stayed on the bike. You used the same carbs on the old engine so it may be there also.

Keep slugging Merv, youre almost there!

Brian

Another possibility, is the Fuel Pump itself, it might be partially plugged, or working poorly. These pumps do not make High pressure. Might be a problem there.

One other thing to check is the fuel tank Vent Line, ( next to filler cap ) . Pull hose off,make sure that very small hole is not plugged. But if this was plugged would effect all 4 cylinders, -- But??, worth checking

Drop the fuel Petcock out of the fuel tank, It has Screens, inside the tank, they might be Plugged. ( Good time to completly rinse out the fuel tank )

Remove the Fuel gauge sender unit from top of tank, makes cleaning out the tank a lot eaiser.